8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Scientific and technical adverts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scientific and technical adverts
Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2014 07:00 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, does any one remember the Scientific and technical company that used to advertise in the sunday newspapers in England in the 1970's. They used to advertise a lot of movie making kits, with a starter kit containing a very very simple super 8 projector (Gioca Royal) a point and shoot cine camera (Zeta), a small screen and a couple of b/w 50ft films. You could then upgrade to a sound projector (Gioca Baby) a camera with a zoom and so forth. They also sold world band radios and such like. I used to love those old ads as a child and wonder if anyone has memories of them and if they have pics of the ads. would love to see them again as this is how I got into super 8. Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 02, 2014 10:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it Headquarters and General Supplies or Harringay Photographic or Marston & Heard?

--------------------
Maurice

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my memory serves me right it was Headquarters and General. The other two were a good source for ex government 16mm sound projectors, e.g. Debrie D16, GBL516, and the very weighty BTH SRB. Harringey also kept stocks of 16mm gun cameras. There were also a number of shops in Totenham Court Road London where you could purchase all sorts of ex government electronic and scientific bits and pieces. Henry,s Radio was one of them who also sold electronic kits to build your own radios, tape recorders, and valve amplifiers etc. Ken Finch.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 03, 2014 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall yet another firm who advertised similar items, it was A.W.Young.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2014 07:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Headquarters and General shops at least a few of them became Shoppertunities (the last one was in High Holborn and a good place to brouse on lunch breaks from work)and carried on the adverts. I have a battery/mains shutterless projector from them (my first). It had a 6v editor lamp and a flat aperture plate which scratched every film I showed.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2014 09:49 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Gioca Royal was my first sound super 8 machine. I believe it was £59.99 brand new from Scientific & Technical. It was a poor machine with no top sprocket and was a terrible scratcher that broke my heart, damaging my small collection of cartoons despite care and cleaning. The price was very cheap though and for comparison my Dad and I clubbed together to get a secondhand Eumig 810D that was light years better! We paid £110 from Perrys Movies. Shows you how cheap the Gioca was. This was about 1978.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC