8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Rodger's & Hammerstein Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rodger's & Hammerstein Movies
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got our tickets to a special movie event in March. Restored film clips of all the great 20th Century Fox Rodgers and Hammerstein movies, such as Oklahoma!, Carousel, The King and I, South Pacific, will be shown on a big CinemaScope screen at the Bob Carr theater in Orlando, while the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra performs the film score live! So they will be showing the original vocals of Gordon MacCrea, Shirley Jones, Deborah Kerr, Mitzi Gaynor, while somehow deleting the original background music and replacing it with live orchestra. I don't know how they do this technically, and how the live Orchestra can get split second synch to the film vocals, but it all sounds pretty amazing. Can't wait! [Smile]

Incidentally, the newly released Blu Ray of the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! is a revelation. In the previous 50th anniversary DVD, the Todd-AO version was a great disappointment, and the CinemaScope version looked far superior. Not so on the new Blu ray, where the Todd-AO version is now stunningly rendered, revealing a whole new level of clarity and detail not even seen in the new blu ray CinemaScope version. Very highly recommended!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a fabulous event in one of my favourite locations in the world. You will have a superb time Paul I am certain. [Razz]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did one of these about 3 years ago Andrew, on that occasion the film clips were from Citizen Kane, Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind, The Wizard Of Oz, Psycho, and a few others. It was incredible, almost like sitting in on a real movie studio scoring session.
I have all the R&H super 8 digests, and I still remember the thrill of watching these when they were first issued. I really enjoyed them until they faded! [Frown] . Even so, I have redubbed them in stereo to improve things.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at Universal Studios in 93, I remember watching a live enactment of Psycho and then a 3D cinema presentation of Hitchcocks "The Birds". They were superb as was all of the shows I saw when visiting Florida.

I had a fantastic time there and would love to go back one day.

I love the R&H musicals and hope to get the King And I feature in the early part of this year from a friend.
I have the Sound Of Music already and am always on the look out for quality musicals, they are just timeless to my eyes and ears and are exactly what showbiz is all about to me.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 06:36 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed with the Region 2 DVD of Oklahoma! and the Todd-AO version had been converted to 25 fps from the original 30fps with most if not all UK systems could have coped with.

I also remember Derek saying at the Winchester Film Fayre that he wanted to release "South Pacific" but the lab couldn't work from the "Fox Hole" print that was all he had available. At that time TV broadcasts here were from obviously NTSC-PAL standards converted transfers. What a pity he couldn't ever get the right master material.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 11, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, the difference betwen the new Blu Ray of the Todd A0 and the old DVD vesrion of the Todd-AO is literally like night and day. Apparently the new blu ray was scanned at 8K from the original Fox 65mm negatives, and boy does it show. It is interesting to compare the CinemaScope and Todd A0 version, because even though some of the scenes were filmed with side-by-side cameras, most were not, and you can see the difference in the positioning of the actors and their facial expressions. You can now appreciate that Mike Todd's 'bug-eye' lens really did this film justice.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 07:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we went to see Rodgers & Hammerstein at the Movies this afternoon. It was a sold out matinee performance, and tonight's show is also sold out. It was a wonderful experience, with Andrew Lane conducting the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra in perfect sync to the projected films on the big screen. The packed audience was very appreciative, listening to the glorious voices of Gordan McCrea and Shirly Jones resonating through the auditorium, and seeing once more how truly wonderful and spectacular these movies really were, and still are. Many older people around me were in tears during the performance, not only genuinely moved by the music and singing but no doubt also remeniscing on where they were, and who they were with, when they saw these magnificent Twentieth Century Fox films for the first time in the 1950's.
It was a memorable experience indeed, one which I will treasure, and I sincerely thank the Orlando Philharmonic, but also sad because everyone realized that films like this will never be made again. All the more reason to watch them and treasure them.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 07:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the King And I was featured Paul etc etc ha ha and of course " The Sound Of Music"

I dont know why but I was never a fan of Carousel inexplicably?

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 07:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was Andrew, along with Oklahoma, South Pacific, State Fair, and Carousel.
Time to get out my Fox digests! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 09, 2015 06:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the review of the show in today's Orlando Sentinel:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2015 11:32 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I wouldn't normally advertise a disc set for sale on this forum but know anyone interested in this forum topic will no doubt be seeking this Blu Ray collection, so...

I saw this post and have the following spare New Sealed BLU RAY Regon 'B' Boxset for sale...
 -

-

-

If any collector would like to purchase this wonderful Blu Ray collection the price is £70 plus postage (£6 UK).

Private message me if interested and YES this is REGION 'B' and includes the 30fps version of OKLAHOMA!

Best,
Rick

[ March 18, 2015, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2015 12:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks sensational Ricky! Every musical fan should have one!
I have all too many already on DVD but if I was starting out now I would definitely buy this box set.

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 07:37 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you would like this wonderful Blu Ray disc set email me...

rickyd2001 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Replace the bracketed words with their appropriate character.

Best
Rick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC