8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cine reels : buy while you can (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cine reels : buy while you can
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 09:43 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to chip in, but this drives me nuts! Maurice is correct.

A "reel of film" is a length of film.

A "spool" is the thing you put the film on.

Typically, a reel is 10 minutes in running time, so in super 8 terms, about 200ft.

So a 200ft is a reel, 400ft is a two-reeler, etc. Which leads to some misunderstanding when you have a 2 x 400ft version!!

We've had this discussion before and some disagree, but if us film folk can't get it right, who can?

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Rob, for your support.
Films are reel 1, reel 2, reel 3, and so on. They are run through projectors mounted on spools (except when they are on platters!)
In UK cinemas they arrived on cores in cans. In US cinemas they arrived on spools. Not sure about other countries.

--------------------
Maurice

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you call a spool, I call a reel. Gepe even calls them reels.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 12:34 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have also différences between French spoken in France and French spoken in Belgium although we are neighboors. We use some words that are unknown in France and some other words have a different meaning. The differences between European French an Canadian french are of course much more numerous. So I can imagine the mess with English as it is spoken, as native language, in many parts of the world.

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 12:35 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay UK and USA use both terms Spool and Reel
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Film-Reel-Sizes-for-8mm-Super-8-and-16mm-Movie-Film-/10000000178416150/g.html
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Film-Reel-Sizes-for-8mm-Super-8-and-16mm-Movie-Film-/10000000178416150/g.html

However, although the film length is considered a reel of film, spooling is the shape it takes when wound, and probably how the term spool became used, as Metonymy[a figure of speech in which a thing or concept is called not by its own name but rather by the name of something associated in meaning with that thing or concept]
Confused yet? hehe.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique-

Or Castillian Spanish vs. Latin American Spanish, within which, there are multiple vocabulary differences. There's a funny video on You Tube about this. What is a term of endearment in Andalusia is a nasty insult in Argentina, and lots more!

My favorite French differences are the numbers. Soixante-dix versus septante, or Qautre Vignt versus huitante or octante. Or "Le Weekend" versus "fin du semaine" (which is what I think it is in Quebecois).

To me a spool is what thread is wrapped around, for example, but film "spools" on a "reel".

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 01:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LAST MINUTE : 9,5 spools are no longer available. I've just received a reply from Julio to my last order. No problem, yet, for the super 8 spools but Julio had only 12 9,5 cores left so I shrinked my order to 12 9,5 spools and so will get the latest ever manufactured by Julio. A sad privilege [Frown] Cans are however still available. Julio had no problem to take my order of super 8 spools but if you're interested, better hurry. For those who own a Beaulieu projector, Julio makes spools that suit this machine (the Beaulieu can take a little bit larger spool than the 700).

Raleigh, you seem to know precise things about French [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 01:59 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No confusion, a reel of film of film is a length of fillm.

A spool holds film.

End of.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 02:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's play a game:

Choose the correct one among these pairs

Wrench, Spanner
Valve, Tube
Traffic Circle, Roundabout
Railway, Railroad

It's a trick question, they are all correct!

It all depends on which side of the dashboard you keep your steering wheel on (both of which are correct too as long as you mind which side of the road you are on!)

"Spool" and "Reel" are the same kind of thing.

It's just a difference in dialects.

Maybe if we had jet air travel at the time the film industries developed on both sides of the pond we'd use the same word, but it was still steamships so they developed distinctions.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 03:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit,since childhood, I call a spool a reel at times and vice versa.

I understand Maurice and Rob for correcting us all as they are of course, both entirely correct in their use of correct terminology of such matters.

It's just one those terms that does all so often get used incorrectly by its users.

Personally, and with no particular logical explanation attached, I find spool a bit of a "stuffed shirt" expression compared to "reel"

That's why, in my case,rightly or wrongly,I much prefer to use the term "reel" rather than "spool" whenever I can.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 03:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now Andrew,

Being English you "reely" should use "spool" as that's what's the standard there.

-being an Engineer, I'm sure you can relate!

I'd imagine a long time ago when a reel was truly 10 minutes of film, somebody here said "We can have a longer film if we splice them together."

-the other guy said "We'll have to find bigger reels.".

-and so it began.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 07:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might help [Big Grin]

https://vimeo.com/71309925

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC