8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » GS1200 thrown down the stairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 thrown down the stairs
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 07:31 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know cine can be frustrating sometimes, but there is no reason to throw the projector down the stairs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELMO-GS1200-GS-1200-Stereo-super8-Projector-Erstazteiltrager-Bastler/271808436778?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED% 26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29666%26meid%3Df4ddd5b483de4aa6b570223244130444%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D271808436778

I really do wonder what happens to these machines sometimes. WARNING, if you are about to send a projector with that cheap courier, do not look at these pictures.

Still, might be good for some spares.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 18, 2015 07:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Such a shame Steven, hopefully someone can bring it back to life or use it as a donor perhaps. [Frown]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 18, 2015 08:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The serial number of this machine is luckily (or intentionnally ?) appearing on the picture. It is 824873. Let's keep it in this thread, it could be usefull if someone buys the projector with the purpose of re-selling it later without any warning.

--------------------
Dominique

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thinking domonique

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 11:49 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can fix anything with "Duck Tape"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2015 12:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-except geese!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched The Wild Geese the other day.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't home...

-had to tape it! [Wink]

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The abuse of this machine is extreme. The back cover indicates it has been dragged across a concrete floor, or maybe Wolverine played with it... There's a punch-hole in the air-vent on top of the side cover, how does that even happen? Unbelievable.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 18, 2015 06:32 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad to see a GS in such bad shape, although in view of the scarcity of spares, I expect that someone could actually make a substantial sum if they were willing to sell the lens and parts separately to whoever needed them.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2015 03:18 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it still powers up [Cool] apart from the rear cover I bet I could get it to go [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 19, 2015 08:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing is: did the frame get bent?

That's the dividing line between a transplant donor and recipient.

I found an Elmo that was dropped and the frame bent right over the rear foot, but the guides and the boards and the motor and the heads were like new. (It actually ran, it just couldn't stand up straight!)

-I've been picking at that one for about five years now.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 19, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If my wife had her way, the same would happen to all my films and equipment. [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a good buy if the thing still works and the damage is only cosmetic. Suggest any would be purchasers should make more enquiries before biding. The fact that things light up is not a great deal of help in the matter. Ken Finch.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2015 01:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, ELMO's CAN be temper-mental.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago I sent my Rank Aldis back for repair. It came back in one piece of corrugated cardboard held by a plastic strip and the carrying handle had been wrenched completely out of the machine. You can't imagine my feelings. The outcome was that Rank replaced it with a better machine!! It's an ill wind.....

--------------------
Dave

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 19, 2015 06:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am with Steve on this. I would bet that the components inside the machine are all fine, so at a minimum here we probably have a great set of spare parts for other GS1200'S.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2015 07:46 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think its a total right off, might be starting a trend of miss treated GS. Sounds like the marmite advert for cruelty [Smile]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 07:37 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once purchased a collection of Super 8 films from a collector once who threw in a GS1200 to sweeten the deal. I asked him to please, please pack carefully. He said no worries, he knows what to do.
When it arrived via Fedex Ground services I saw the box and knew something was wrong. I opened it up and sure enough, a few pieces of styrofoam, no other packing, and the GS had a broken front panel. I turned it on and the lights came on but the motor wasn't. I filed a claim with Fedex and they took it back for "inspection". They paid me out (which was surprising since the packing was so inadequate) but I assume they saw how badly it was handled during transit too.
After the claim was paid they gave me back the machine. But when I got it back after "inspection" it now had a big crack on the back of the metal case! And now it didn't turn on!! Somehow they managed to make the problem worse.
In the end though it did have a lot of good spares..I think...and I sold it for $400 around. If you were to part out that machine I think it would have been worth more since the parts are so pricey now.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 07:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, quite right Rik, as a parts machine alone these must be worth a fair amount in this day and age.

The motors and sound heads alone are worth decent money I would have thought.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 10:03 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine everything on there, including all the screws and bolts, that in my experience are not the normal metric type, there pitch appears to be slightly out. Not many will notice this, but if it was 5mm x 1.5, its 5mm x 1.75mm. If I got it, I would keep all these parts, very important bits, definitely worth a bid.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC