8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Windows 8.1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows 8.1
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 02:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my old Gateway desktop computer, which had the Windows 98 operating system, has finally taken its last breath. For over 15 years I have been very happy with both the computer and the OS. Now I have been forced into upgrading to a new touch screen computer with a Windows 8.1 OS. My first impressions after several hors of messing around, is that Windows 8.1 is a load of crap, and who needs touch screens, tiles, and charms, and all the other rubbish loaded into my machine. As far as I can determine Microsoft have produced software that is way too smart for its own good and have failed miserably to provide a user friendly OS. [Frown]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Earl J. Moniz
Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Earl J. Moniz   Author's Homepage   Email Earl J. Moniz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could still get Windows 7 for it. . .

Many users still lament its loss...
and many computer companies still offer it...
Dell (Alienware) does...

OR

maybe you're not a Microsoft fan overall...

[Wink]

--------------------
Born On Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha y'all. . .

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 03:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For us old school pc users Paul, I always find the use of a mouse at a desk helps greatly with this operating system. If I use my laptop on my knee without a mouse, I am always jumping from one screen to another inadvertently.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Built my own desk-top, but still use Vista...Yes I know a lot of folk don't like Vista,but at least most of my old software still runs with it...I don't like touch screens...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think Windows 7 runs less than Vista. O too hate the touch based W8. Really annoying and I stay with W7 as long as I can.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 21, 2015 05:11 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some screen shots of the next Windows 10 desktop. The start menu will return...Hooray! It's suppose to be a big improvement over Win8, which did not win a lot of warm fuzzies from users....me included.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2015 06:50 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I'm still on XP, though have a Win7 replacement netbook...

--------------------
Yannis

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2015 07:54 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you can download a program free of charge called classicshell.net it lets you choose the interface your familiar with. Give it a try I've been using it on my laptops since day one
The main features are:
Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
Quick access to recent, frequently-used, or pinned programs
Find programs, settings, files and documents
Start button for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows XP all the time!!!

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 22, 2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, XP has been my favourite to date. Simple and straightforward to use I always found.

Things just seem to be going backwards in the attempt to please the "app" fanatics ever since and Vista was the worse one of the lot!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 22, 2015 06:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use 4 different OSs (Win7, Win8.1, Vista, Ubuntu 14.4 (Linux). I have a XP virtual installation on my Win7Pro desktop PC...but never use it any more. Win7 is at the top of my list and Ubuntu is next. If Linux had as many software selections as Windows...it would be number one [Smile] Win7 has been the most stable and productive OS since it came out. It's been pretty much a work-horse OS for me and thousands of companies. That's not to say Win7 is perfect...no OS is, but it has evolved to a very comfortable environment.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2015 12:39 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my age I find it all very confusing!. I am still using XP and have heard very mixed opinions about 8 and 8.1 It appears 10 will be an improvement but as usual Microsoft still rely on users to find all the problems and then they fix them with updates!!! I do not know how they have got away with this for so long!! Can you imagine selling a car and then relying on the purchaser to feed back all the design faults so they can rectify them!! Ken Finch.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2015 12:52 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I miss XP I`m now on 8.1. I can only hope Win 10 will be an improvement,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2015 11:42 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the (many) drawbacks of Microsoft's relentless "upgrades" and the subsequent lack of support of previous editions is how software and hardware gets left behind. Scanners, audio programs...suddenly it's "old" by decree.
I have Win 7 64-bit Pro on my main PC and also an older laptop that still has Win XP. The laptop will run a bunch of things that Win 7 just rejects.
Trying to install a new video card on the 64-bit Pro edition of Win 7 is a nightmare, as both the "Administrator" function and the intrusive Windows auto-install of drivers constantly cripple any attempts (and workarounds) to get it done.
Win XP is easy to use and easy to work on, relatively speaking.

Microsoft has not learned the most important lesson of technology:
The most advanced tech should be invisible to the daily user.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2015 11:54 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used XP for many years and was very happy with it. I did not want to go to 8.1 so I bought an HP Envy computer that came with 7 installed. You may be able to still get one from them. At the time the sold Desktops and Laptops with 7 installed.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that Microsoft won't introduce any new Windows OS after Win 10?

--------------------
Yannis

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I heard on TV news a few months ago, they wouldn't make any revolutionary changes after 10, just update that. Perhaps, for once, they might be able to get all the bugs/security flaws out and not put in more with a new version.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2015 09:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using them steadily all the way back to Windows 3.11 back in about 1993. Never once did my job upgrade my machine and I felt any real improvement. It's always little incremental tweaks and the confusion that comes with them.

-as a matter of fact when Office 2007 came out and all the nice little tabs up at the top were replace by the big button and the drop down menu I felt like I'd been given a car with the ignition switch in the trunk!

It gets to the point where Information Technologies tells me they are there to do an upgrade I tell them to go away! (They never do!)

Then we came to the end of support for XP last year: cost the lab where I work something like 3,000 new PCs and laptops to go to Windows 7!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 05:18 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Mr Gates invent one of the biggest cons of the century in his Windows operating system. no wonder the guy is a billionaire, at least he is useing his money to help others i guess.
You buy a pc. you have to have one one with Windows. No choice unless you build one of your own.
Every couple of years they bring out a new version and if you don't buy it upon its release you will almost certainly have to upgrade it because if you don't they will stop supporting it, (and many other software companies do the the same)not to mention the worlds biggest rip off, apple iphones. Windows XP was one of the better ones, its now obsolete, then there was vista which bought most laptops to a halt and cost many people hundreds of pounds, then there was 7 which was another good one so they decide to go to 8 then 8.1 and there are others in the pipeline.
i really do believe the inventors of windows are one of the biggest modern day robbers of our time and continue to be well into the future. with many of there products being mega fails,(vista and 8) how the hell do they get away with simply discarding and leaving people robbed of there hard earned money and having to upgrade. [Mad] Microsoft is one of the worlds rip off corporations along with with many other big names,McDonalds, Starbucks to name but a few. remember the Monty python film the meaning of life? the opening to it with "the very big corporation of America", [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2015 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a classic:

IBM contracted Microsoft to create DOS, and then allowed him to keep the rights to the software, not realizing that the operating system was really where the money is!

(When was the last time you worked on a real IBM PC?)

Some years after that, over the objections of the engineers there, Bill gates was given a tour of the research lab at Xerox where they were developing a human interface system with multiple panes to access software via a mouse. It was so new it wasn't close to being patented.

-not very long afterwards Windows appeared.

Seriously though: has there ever been a machine like a personal computer? Without really wearing out, it gradually chokes on its own by products and grinds to a halt so you need a new one. There you see them standing unusable: every last component still within spec but somehow the whole thing doesn't work anymore. A ten year old PC may as well be a thousand years old.

You take a 50 year old car, as long as it's mechanically functional you can drive it highway speeds all day. Unless something fails it just works as designed.

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2015 10:41 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you could buy something from a company called Apple.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2015 02:21 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope we never get driverless cars on windows. Just think of all the unexplaned crashes

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 31, 2015 03:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows Based Cars: Close all the windows, turn it off, turn it back on: hope it works!

One of the issues holding back these cars now is liability:

-a car does something stupid these days, you blame the human being holding the wheel.

Without a driver, who takes the fall? Classically when 80 people develop a system and it goes very wrong, 80 fingers point in other directions than their own.

It is coming though. One of the major truck manufacturers is developing kind of a super cruise-control: the driver gets the truck out on the highway, activates it and it can manage on its own until an exit comes.

For now the law requires the driver to stay behind the wheel, but how much longer until the guy can just stay home?

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Bill Gates actually just buy the company that had developed QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) as he didn't have time to write his own in the time IBM gave him? That sounds like the start of the PC problems.... (Though it might be a story put about by his rivals, I remember it from long ago.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2015 07:22 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, windows 10 is due out the end of july most computers with 7,8,8.1 can download this new version for free when its available my pc with 7 already has the invite to reserve the new edition just not sure if it will work with my office suite im sure they'll make one buy new software if you want to run that.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC