8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Windows 10 at PC World

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows 10 at PC World
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 20, 2015 01:18 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went into my local PC World today to enquire about Windows 10. I spoke to a very helpful assistant and am now quoting from their leaflet which refers to buying a computer with 8.1 presently installed.

"If you are not keen on setting up your new computer yourself we'll get you up and running in no time. As well as upgrading your new computer to Windows 10, we'll also set up a Windows account, install essential apps and create the recovery media."

The charge is £35 for in store service. The recovery media includes an USB stick which contains the program should it ever be needed.

I was told that the store was busy upgrading their stock so a buyer can walk straight out with a fully operational Windows 10 computer. However, the price will have been increased with the £35 fee, but it will include the USB stick.

All the display items have already been uprated and I must say I was most impressed by what I saw of Windows 10.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 07:22 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried it, didn't like it, glad I wasn't stuck with it [Frown]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2015 08:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brings me back to days of old when we had Windows 98 and got offered an upgrade to Vista!

-at the time we were feeling too broke to go for it: turned out to be a kind of accidental wisdom!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 04:48 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I switch my P.C. on...up comes a screen lower right corner...Free upgrade to Windows 10!

No - thanks...they are pushing to hard for my mind on this...so I will stick with my present Windows 7...works well for me.

[Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 05:50 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve got 10, XP every time.

--------------------
James Wilson

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Windows 10 for a while now and I have to say that I am very impressed. It works well and is faster than before. All your programs are available in "All Apps" accessed from the Windows icon at the bottom left of the screen. You can drag any program across to make an easy access tile. The Control Panel is available there in Windows System. The power button gives you the options to Sleep, Shutdown or Restart, and all my devices and programs run well with it. I know that Windows XP was excellent but there are no more updates available anymore so I do not think it would be advisable to connect to the internet with it as there could be possible security issues. I think that it is always best to use the most up to date operating system if you can.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 11:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 10 has dispensed with Internet Explorer, the new browser is called "Edge".
Rather surprisingly, the Microsoft designers appear to have closely studied the latest Apple computers!

--------------------
Maurice

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 12:07 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a little secret...

If you are like me, and do not like drastic change to the worse, use this frontend:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3449

It works with Windows 10 as well. I have never had issue since XP(the best OS from microsoft btw) and have used this since to maintain the 'look' of XP i want. Who cares what's below the skin as long as it runs well, and if 10 turns out to be good, i will use this with it as well....
Cheers,
Matt
ps: windows 10 still can use IE...it is just hidden from view as they are trying to push Spartan more: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/tale-two-windows-10-browsers

"Internet Explorer 11 is included with Windows 10. It is not, however, the default browser; Edge is the default. To run it, you should search for Internet Explorer: click the Start Button, then start typing "Internet". It should show up as a search result. Once you have found it, I recommend you pin it to the Taskbar, or the Start Menu, so you can find it again quickly."

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Matt. Would users of the new Windows 10 wish to revert to I.E.?

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guy's

I do care what is under the skin...especially from Microsoft..that's why I am happy where I am - with 7. Next time I move it will be to Apple, less stress of people wanting to get into our life and privacy.

I work with a big company that uses windows..so I speak based on experience of 17 years..

[Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see any reason to revert to IE really.... but for me, i like to have different browsers around for when i test web design, to make sure what i do is compatible multi-platform....but just for browsing, it is more of nostalgia or habit for me. I use firefox mostly, but it is buggy tremendously, but i like to tinker sometimes.
I've been a computer admin and web admin/designer for close to 25 years now.
My comment about under the skin was for the lay user, not admin types, who obviously need to understand what they are fixing. Windows 7 seems to be a good OS as well. I only use it in 64 bit on a couple systems.
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 04:20 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now have windows 10, but I use a dual boot system with my old Vista on one ssd and 10 on another ssd, I kept Vista for my old software etc. I am liking 10, and Edge is fast, but I still use chrome, I was dual booting between Vista and 7, the upgrade went well in my opinion (so far). I guess you have to move on, if you use a tablet or phone, 10 is easy, just do custom install checking the boxes you want, not what Microsoft would like.
Some of my old programs are running surprisingly, I like reading old comics, comic books and annuals CDisplayEX runs OK and this is quite old software. I haven't installed Line 6 Pod Farm or Ableton recording studio yet, I am still running that on Vista. Try 10, you can always go back...I stuck with Vista all these years, many disliked it and still do, so 10 is very much like 7 with pieces of 8, Oh ARrr...

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since moving to windows 10 my only complaint so far is Nero 2015 Nero recode & Nero video, have stopped working, That`s All.
On XP no problems at all.

--------------------
James Wilson

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC