8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dads Army

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dads Army
Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 10:04 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see this today,unfortunately a poor script lets down a stellar cast.Had a job staying awake.

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

|  IP: Logged

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 10:26 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tommy, it's pretty much what I had expected, me and the wife have already decided to give it a miss. Some things should be left well alone, Del.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 10:59 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite Agree, Del.

--------------------
James Wilson

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 11:09 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pretty hard act to follow I know,but I just wish they abandoned it after the first script meeting

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 10, 2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just seen it this week and loved it. Cinema nearly full at just after mid day as well. A difficult act to follow but they made a good effort we thought. Looking forward to Grimsby next.

The audience were of that certain age so all well behaved.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema version of "Dad's Army" was released in 1971 with the original TV cast.
Why make a new version now?

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 02:55 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the dads army feature film in glorious colour on 16mm

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why keep making remakes full stop!! I was surprised they got round to this one.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 10, 2016 05:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must admit the trailer had me twitching a bit !!!

Still looking forward to it though.

I wonder why people did`nt say does`nt this script need a bit " more " !!!

Best Mark.

Ps the drama about the making of it on the BBC recently was very good and worth a watch, just a little too short.

The very good Happy Valley is back on the beeb as well just out of interest.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Uncle has a shop on High Street, Bridlington. It appears in the film in the background, not as one of the main shops.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 10, 2016 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29BJR2rTgY#t=32.661

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 02:48 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were an avid fan,as I was,you will be disappointed,you could tell some of the cast weren't happy by their performances,some people in the auditorium walked out. !!!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 03:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not at our Kinema Tommy. [Smile]

Nice to see Hastings again and of course Bridlington especially on a massive screen. Twas presented in 4K but I don't really see the improvement, could be due to the acquisition equipment perhaps.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 04:51 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched the original movie on Sunday, an absolute classic, how can you follow those personalities. Also we visit the village quite regularly where the film was made, the butcher's shop and green grocers is still there, the bank is now a Costa coffee :-(, gorgeous part of the country, Del.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I saw the Beeb.dramatisation. John Sessions' Arthur Lowe was incredibly good.
It seems odd now but the whole concept of Dad's Army was seen as very controversial in 1968.It came close to not getting made as BBC hierarchy worried it was trivialising the war.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2016 09:54 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it. The cast tried hard to emulate the characters of the TV series with varying amount of success. I never saw an earlier film version so cannot compare it. It was extremely well attended at all the screenings at the Kavanagh, Herne Bay and appeared to be quite popular with the audience. However, I do not think any remake can beat the original TV series. I think they continued a bit too long and became too predictable and repetitive. ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC