8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Good News / Bad News !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good News / Bad News !
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 04:46 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after working for the same company for 35 years, and just clocking up 55 years of life, I have decided to take early retirement! This is day #1. No more soldiering on / early starts etc. To quote Satchmo, I "have all the time in the world" available to me now which is WONDERFUL news for me.......HORRENDOUS news for my projector!!!!!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Melvin. i have been retired now for 3 years. i finished just a couple of years before my 65th birthday. i too spent 34 years with the same company. retirement is the best thing i have done. i love my 16mm hobby. and can spend as much time as i like now doing the things i enjoy. good luck to you.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, I hope like a lot of us you will soon wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 08:22 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make the most of every day. The years will fly by and the older you get the faster they go but you will not regret it - Guaranteed!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Melvin. Day one of ownership of the rest of your life.☺☺

I have never heard anyone once yet say "I wish I'd spent longer in work".... among their dying wishes!

Get out when you can, as early as you can afford.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Melvin!
I'm in my 6th year of retirement after 41 years in the workforce...ENJOY! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 10:57 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finished from BT in 2009 after 30 years. Did a year on esa and training and went self employed. Best thing I ever did. 59 now and winding down.

Apart from my film collection I have started railway modelling.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 11:41 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could retire! [Frown] Congratulations!!

Besides, that projector is jealous and is just longing for you're attention that's been wasted on career over her! (yep, I give inanimate objects a human persona!) [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 01, 2017 12:18 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 15 years old during my summer vacation I started working in the office of my grandfather's lumber mill in Oregon. Fast forward 47 years to the SF Bay Area and my retirement in 2009. Other than I missed seeing my working colleagues on a daily bases, I have never looked back. I agree time does go by faster these days, but my family...friends... home... and hobbies are my life now. It's all good!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contrats!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 01:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Melvin [Smile]

Janice your comments about the people you once worked with are so true...you never forget.

I was 65 last Christmas and went on the old age pension, however I am still working. I started as a motor mechanic, went onto aircraft engineering, to cinema projectionist, and now transporting special needs kids to and from school for a bus company, until the end of this present school term.

Its strange when you are not looking for work, other jobs seem to pop up and last weekend signed another employment contract for school transport work etc but on a more casual basis and hoping to do some out of city long distance stuff [Cool]

For me.. well I have had an incredible run of various jobs since leaving school at 15yrs and never regreted any of it [Smile]

This present one of transporting special needs kids has given me a greater appreciation of how fortunate we are, not to have the physical and mental disability many of those kids have, and the huge challenges faced by many parents and caregivers in looking after them that I come in contact with on a daily basis. I will certainly miss them all when the present four year contract the bus company had with MOE will finish in two weeks time.

Actually come to think of it do we really retire? [Wink]

PS...Just remembered [Roll Eyes] a couple of weeks ago at a cafe I ran into a chap that I once worked with long long ago. He had been a airline pilot had flown all his life starting with top dressing to DC3, HS748, Captain of ATR72 and so on, flown for airlines in the UK...been everywhere...top pilot. When he retired from flying, he then worked as a taxi driver. Its that versatility of giving anything a go I admire in folk. [Smile]

[ April 01, 2017, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 04:51 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, you lucky chap to be retiring at 55. i wont be able to that but i to have been with the same company now for 30 years. i think im going to have to go the whole hog to 65/7. unless my lucky numbers come up.
Enjoy your retirement ad happy viewing. [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 04:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, you lucky chap to be retiring at 55. i wont be able to that but i to have been with the same company now for 30 years. i think im going to have to go the whole hog to 65/7. unless my lucky numbers come up.
Enjoy your retirement ad happy viewing. [Wink]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 05:31 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your positive replies! Why do I get the feeling that,apart from choosing super 8 as my hobby*, I have just made one of the best moves of my life?

Brian - That remark is so true. The number of my elderly relatives throughout the years that have said that to me is phenomenal.

Andrew - So true. I once was listening to one of those "Pause For Thought" moments on (UK) Radio 2 and the reader was saying how they visited so many people in care homes and asked them what their biggest regret in life was?..... and most of them answered the same...... They wished they had given up work earlier.

David - If you are juggling a film collecting hobby AND are a model railway enthusiast, I am sure you would know about Phil Sheard's shop in Grimsby/Cleethorpes (CHC). The back rooms are stacked to the ceiling with films...... the front part of the shop is dedicated to model railway collecting... locomotives/carriages/track/equipment..... a massive double whammy for you if you have never been and decide to visit.

Osi - I hope the projector only suffers from envy. A "jealous" projector may offer retaliation by breaking down,blowing up, or chewing the odd Star Wars! Ha! Ha!

Janice - The "not seeing my work colleagues" does worry me a little. I am pleased to say that with the crowd I have said farewell to , there was not one that I had any problems with.

Graham - You appear to be so community spirited I doubt whether you will ever r e a l l y retire. Ease off - Yes. Retire - No

Tom - I wish you at least... 5 plus the bonus ball! If not..more!

* and getting married.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2017 04:48 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your retirement Melvin.
You now have time to enjoy your hobbies to their full potential.

David...good luck with the railway modelling which is more creative than film collecting and projection.
Unless you decide to build a home cinema of course.

Phil used to take railway stuff part exchange for film and vice -versa. Check with him.

As for me. I 'mentally retired' when I started working as an apprentice projectionist aged 15 some 48 years ago.
It was after all an extension of my hobby.

I am now unofficially retired at 63 and it will remain that way
until I am 65. So TO HELL WITH WORK !!! ... Hahahahaha !!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 02, 2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Film collecting can of course be every bit a "creative" hobby, if you involve yourself in such activities as editing, re spooling,box making and cover art plus such duties as re recording / over dubbing jobs or projector maintenance / repairs.

In fact, I'm sure if you ask people like Bill for example, he would tell you it is a full time vocation. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 03, 2017 02:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Melvin and glad to read your positive comments about the people you once worked with. [Smile]

Just to add a wee story...my wife and I were in a shopping mall lately, when I noticed this bloke who was with others kept looking at me and smiling. I thought this is weird [Roll Eyes] he kept doing this. I said to my wife this bloke keeps looking at me and smiling, she looked at him and said to me its weird.

Anyway after a short time he and this group walked past me, he stopped only a couple of feet from me, by this time I was getting really annoyed. He came up to me, still smiling and said do you remember me? I relplied NO...he then said one word AVIS....in a flash it came to me... I said... Michael.... [Big Grin] he was a mechanic I once worked with at AVIS way back in 1976 and had not seen since.....we had a good chat about old times...funny who you bump into at shopping malls [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC