8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Eumig P8 - Superb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 - Superb
Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2017 05:08 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that summat's missing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EUMIG-WEIN-P8-M-IMPERIAL-STANDARD-8mm-SILENT-CINE-FILM-PROJECTOR-Superb/152413852316?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MB E%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3De71c9b0c233b40b48840fa4ca86df3a9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222456781805

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2017 07:21 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's expensive.
I see the lens is in one photo but not in another.
What's missing?

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 05, 2017 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At £105 it is over priced, but I can't see anything missing.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 06:43 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't sell. I was going by the projected light shown in the 6th image being circular rather than rectangular or is that normal with that model?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2017 03:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect it was just really well out of focus.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2017 11:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first love, projector wise, was a Eumig P8, but then, it was my dads projector. But it's not just sentimental reasons. The Eumig P8, in my opinion, is the Cadillac of the Standard 8mm silent projector. Beautiful looks, excellent design and a real work-horse of a projector, (well, the Eumig's have ALWAYS been great projector!).

Even if you have one that doesn't run, not all projectors are great for "display purposes", but the Eumig wins out in that category, to be sure! [Smile]

I LOVE the P8!! (duh, we can't tell, OSI?)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 06, 2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Osi, the P8 is a great looking machine, and was a real game changer when it came out in the 50's. Throughout their over 50 years in the cine business, Eumig were always ahead of the game. In the P8 they produced a projector of very modern design with a 12volt lighting system that was brighter than the 500 watt projectors of the day, such as the Bolex M8 and the Bell & Howell 606. It was my first 8mm projector and I was so proud of it.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig P 8 has Bell & Howell mechanics in it. The claw shuttle is pushed into the perforation every third stroke and there’s a 90 degrees one-blade shutter. Light-to-dark ratio out of this is 3:1.

Bell & Howell Co. was the pacemaker from 1909 through 1952. Competition was licenced, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse (I’m thinking of some french cameras). The P 8 has a not so well made fan wheel and some parts of the electric innards are weakish. Despite such minor flaws it’s one of the best projectors for 8mm film ever made. Another very good one offers frame rates up to 25 and that is the Paillard-Bolex M 8. The M 8 on the other hand doesn’t run in reverse.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 10:22 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have both a Eumig P8 and the Paillard-Bolex M8.

I use them from time to time to keep them functioning.
The P8 has a very yellow dullish light output when compared
to later machines.

The Bolex M8 however does not have this problem as its been upgraded to a bright 200 watt halogen output via an external
transformer.

However both machines are classics in there own right.
Good solid metal engineering and great pieces of cine
projector history.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 10:23 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have both a Eumig P8 and the Paillard-Bolex M8.

I use them from time to time to keep them functioning.
The P8 has a very yellow dullish light output when compared
to later machines.

The Bolex M8 however does not have this problem as its been upgraded to a bright 200 watt halogen output via an external
transformer.

However both machines are classics in there own right.
Good solid metal engineering and great pieces of cine
projector history.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC