8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New on here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New on here
Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi every one, I’m new on here so be gentle with me. I’m a retired projectionist from Barrow in Furness, near The Lake District. I’ve always been interested in films and projectors, since I retired I realised I miss handling film and a film projector, so I’ve gone back into super 8. If any other members are near or want to drop me a line please feel free. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 09:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Clive
From a fellow ex-projectionist, welcome to the Forum.
It's a great place to exchange views and comments.
And pictures if you can fathom how to do it! [Smile]

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2017 01:16 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice and Osi. I must admit, digital cinema is amazing, very sharp, great sound, I don’t think it goes out of focus and doesn’t go out of rack. What a bore. But give me the rattle of a projector, the smell of film and even a carbon arc and change overs. But that’s another story, for another day, oh and I almost forgot, 70mm, need I say more.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive welcome to the 8mm forum. There are several other film forums on the web, but I think if you hang around here long enough you will conclude that this is the best one. There is simply an enormous data base of experience available to you here from film collectors all over the world, by simply using the search function.
Incidentally, I envy you living in the Lake District. I have bicycled through it a couple of times and always hated to leave it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 05:51 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive, what got you started? Any specialties? Most welcome to you - I'm into Super 8, 8 and 9.5, but also had a dabble in 17.5 and 28mm - My area is shorts, so call me Shorty - Cheers

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 02:05 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I think you might prefer living in The U.S.A. at the moment, in the U.K. it is zero degrees and snowing.
Yes, it is lovely living in The Lake District, but it nearly always rain. I guess that is why it has the lakes and is so green and beautiful. So if ever you come here, let me know and we will have to meet up. Regards, Clive

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 06:15 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Clive. What Cinema(s) did you work in and did you retire before or after the digital revolution. Hope the snow isn't too bad where you are. We don't reckon to have extremes of weather here and generally miss snow when everyone else has it, but it's falling quite heavily, and turning into slush. Just the sort of weather to get the old projector out!

--------------------
Dave

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 10, 2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive,

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to Super 8!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 10, 2017 04:25 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Clive.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 05:27 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always great to see another newcomer. Welcome Clive and as a projectionist you will have wealth of knowledge to guide and help us amateurs.

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2017 04:36 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone that have taken the time to welcome me on the forum.
Regards to all, Clive

Jason Patnode
Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2017 04:54 AM      Profile for Jason Patnode   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Patnode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Clive.

--------------------
Jason Patnode

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2017 07:31 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of film collectors.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2017 07:39 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Clive.

--------------------
James Wilson

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2017 08:02 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Clive. I've never been a professional projectionist but projectors and film have fascinated me since the age of five (I'm 62 now). I think you said it exactly right. There's something about operating a film projector and film. It's something that's difficult to explain but very gratifying.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 11, 2017 11:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's something that's difficult to explain but very gratifying.
Not the least of which is the beautiful mechanical design of many home movie projectors. My Panasonic digital projector puts out an amazing picture, but is about as interesting as a cardboard box. It sits on a high shelf where no one can see it.
But my film projectors are all on display in my home, for friends to see and admire, as they inevitably do.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC