8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Do you rewind your films after each show ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you rewind your films after each show ?
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 01:09 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some questions I have been meaning to ask for a while.

Do you always rewind your films after each show ?

Do you store them on a spool or a film centre bobbin ?

Do you store them in metal cans, plastic cans or cardboard boxes ?

I don't rewind my films unless they are going to be used again right away.

The reason being that storing them tail out encourages me to check the print before the next showing on a manual film rewinder for signs of any damaged or torn or nicked perforations , scratching or dodgy splices.

Does anyone else do this ?

[Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 02:22 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES , I rewind after every screening .

I Store films on reels , either metal or plastic .

Prints are Stored in metal cans or plastic cans , sometimes cardboard boxes .

I make notes written on white film tape and place it on the outside of the film can if the print needs any work done before the next showing ( which could be YEARS down the pike ).

--------------------
Dave

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 15, 2018 03:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always rewind after a viewing and i always bench rewind.
One thing i am often uncertain of is, do i do them too tight. I often read that ensuring the film is not to loose so as not to encourage warp, but also know you can do them too tight. I think we do ok though, after 40 years much damage would have been done if i was doing it wrong. [Wink]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 04:02 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
before I show a film I check it out on the rewind arm bench then screen them ,when watched I back wind them till next time I use them

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 15, 2018 05:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1...Yes

2...on reels

3...Mainly Plastic or carboard...some 16mm on steel, but try to avoid it, as I like the films to breathe

[Smile]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 05:45 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes

Yes

Yes

Somebody is going to have fun sorting your collection out David. You don't put them in cases or boxes with no labels or markings by any chance just to make it interesting?

Mike

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 07:21 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always rewind the film after the show when i arrive at home using a motorized rewinder like this one:

-

Normally i store the polyester films on metal reels and cans and the acetate ones in plastic reels and cans.I use a professional 16mm moviola to inspect each reel before the show and make the repairs if needed.
 -

For super 8 i keep all my film on plastic reels and cardboard boxes using the goko rm 8008 to inspect and rewinding.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 10:07 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Hardy makes a few good points and I agree with his logic. If you check the print before screening you will have a better screening overall.

I would caution however not to leave the print tails out using small hub reels. Over time long storage will produce a strong curl and auto load issues. A good example of this is when the tail end - the last few minutes - seems to go out of focus slightly - due to the curl even when heads up.

Best advice: Keep the prints heads up on small hub reels; and rewind three times as follows:

1st: Off the storage reel. To loosen up the print after long term storage. I seriously believe this makes a difference.

2nd: Rewind to heads up and run through the projector.

3rd: Rewind back to storage reel.

Finally: Don't look at this as "extra work." Because certainly, running the projector and handling the film is all part of the fun.

A picture of my rewind bench is below. Neumade X-3 Rewinders with attached motor and pulley. Rated at 6000' @ 35mm With brass adapters stepping down to super 8

-

Chip G

[ March 16, 2018, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 08:36 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies so far and very interesting.

I see I may be a lone wolf in not rewinding my prints.

Chip yes you are indeed correct there with long term storage of any print curling over time on those small hub core spools.

Jose I really like your rewind and editing equipment.
Thanks for the photos.

I am thinking of buying some metal 16mm split reels and bobbins in order to store my 16mm prints in the cans without the spools enclosed. That way I can have the fun and joy of "spooling up" all over again and loads of spare spools.

[Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC