8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Why is it that on some old posts the pictures change from the original post?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is it that on some old posts the pictures change from the original post?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 17, 2018 02:04 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at an old post and the picture doesn't match the topic. But it used to I believe. Does the forum run out of picture space and then start overwriting the oldest pictures?

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 02:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Alan

I think it is when an uploaded picture has the same filename as a previously uploaded picture possibly even uploaded by someone else - after a while the website seems to mix them up hence the wrong picture appears. The way to prevent this is to rename the picture you upload first to a unique filename - as in the ones I did for Ian today I named them Stereovox1, Stereovox2, etc. If I had left them to the camera default filename the same mix up of files could happen in future.

Just my semi educated guess whilst we await the official response.

Kevin

PS: Great to see you finally have your lovely Beaulieu restored to good health too.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 17, 2018 02:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what it is.

I often weave the posting date of a picture into the file name to avoid this happening and I never leave them in the name format they came from the camera with either.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 17, 2018 03:31 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! That would explain it. And thanks Kevin! Its good to have the Beaulieu back home. [Smile]
Purring away like a large HTI cat.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 17, 2018 04:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If two pictures are uploaded years apart with the same name, the most recent picture will replace the older one. I know it's tempting to name pictures projector 1 or hernia operation 3, but chances are very good that someone else has used that exact title. I add my name to my uploads to play it safe.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 07:17 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been plenty of my pictures replaced by other peoples pictures on various threads. I don't usually post pictures anymore.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 17, 2018 07:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many forums, the server put that new unique names to the uploaded picture, so there would be zero chance somebody replace it with another picture (that accidentally shares the same file name).

Can this forum server be assigned doing that?

--------------------
Winbert

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 02:17 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that it would only be if the forum software running on the server was updated to do so and that there is very little chance of that happening. Also a change to new, replacement software would probably lead to loss of the current posts.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC