8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » SOLO - I liked it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOLO - I liked it!
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 26, 2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday my son made me breakfast for my birthday and then took me to see Solo. It was showing at an AMC iMax Theatre and I was impressed with the huge size of the screen. I wasn't expecting too much... and other than Woody Harrelson I didn't know anybody in the movie. I was somewhat pessimistic that I would even like it. However...I loved it. As much as the story and actors were different...the movie felt somewhat familiar and comfortable. Finding out the back story of Han...Lando...and Chewy was very entertaining. The movie has a lot of humor and definitely leads to a follow-up movie.

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 26, 2018 03:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

Happy Birthday, Janice

May the 25th be with you!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 26, 2018 04:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Janice [Cool] [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 26, 2018 04:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Janice!

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 27, 2018 02:38 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Janice.

I saw the film yesterday and really enjoyed it. The first SW movie in 35 years that really respects the spirit of the original trilogy.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 27, 2018 09:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I correct that IMAX no longer use horizontal 70mm film but have now gone digital?

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 02:20 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most I think but a few (Dunkirk)still use 70mm/15.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2018 01:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Janice ! A little bit late but from my heart.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 28, 2018 01:40 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve, Graham, Doug, Jean-Marc, and Dominique for the B-day wishes. You are all so sweet and caring. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 05:09 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it too but just didn't like the way it was photographed. It looked very flat. I don't know if it was a creative choice or it's just the way the digital camera is. Lots of backlash amongst fans against Kathleen Kennedy especially after The Last Jedi. Don't know if that is justified but for an expensive movie like this, I heard 300 million, there needs to be some solution. I'm actually looking forward to the next SOLO movie but it is underperforming so who knows what will happen.

Happy birthday Janice.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 10:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!

Big screen!

I've heard that it's not doing quite as well as hoped, (lowest opening for a Star wars film), but, it's doing well overall and from what I've read, may end up being more of a "sleeper hit" over time.

I'm looking forward to it. My only complaint?

He's just too pretty for Solo and he just doesn't sound enough like Solo. I mean, I can do a dead on impersonation of Harrison Ford myself, playin either Solo or Indy. He deilvere lines (at least in the trailers) that are classic Solo lines, but they just don't sound like they're coming from Solo ...

but then, I'm just wild about anything Star Wars, (DEFINITELY looking forward to "Obiwan" or "Kenobi", however it's titled, with Ewan Macgregor reeprising his role as Obiwan!), so I'll see it, just the same.

I WANT THAT SCREEN IN MY HOUSE!!

(You don't have a house that big?!)

I'LL BUY A BIGGER HOUSE!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 29, 2018 01:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Larry.... Thank you.

@Osi ... I too think this will be a "sleeper hit." I think it will be a movie that grows on you after some time. There can never be another Harrison Ford/Solo... and I don't think this new kid wanted to do an impression. I just imagined this is how Solo would act and sound before he got so cynical and jaded over the years.

[ May 29, 2018, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2018 03:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think maybe I've reached a point of...conversion.

-even though the new Star Trek series started out really well, I think they've reached the point where there literally IS nowhere to go where they haven't gone before!

(Seriously: -didn't buy the DVD for the last one...that hasn't happened since Star Trek Nemesis!)

-could it actually be time to switch sides? [Wink]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 04:36 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Janice day - Was late getting back from CINEVENT - All good wishes from Shorty

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 30, 2018 10:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Shorty...I hope you found films you were looking for at CINEVENT [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2018 05:14 AM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's wishing you a, belated, but very Happy Birthday Janice.
Hope you had a great day and how lovely to be taken out to 'the movies' by your son - life going full-circle on those special days! [Smile]

Sorry for the delay - but I don't always check the forum as often as I'd like to.

Ali.

--------------------
We're going to need a bigger shelf!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2018 11:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Most definitely!

Happy Birthday to a most knowledgeable sister in the celluloid!

sincerely

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 31, 2018 12:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ali and Osi...After watching Solo in the afternoon of my birthday, that night we watched my 16mm print of "The Goodbye Girl." As my signature says...I had a "very good day." [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC