8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Doris Day Has Died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doris Day Has Died
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 13, 2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doris Day has died aged 97. She made some great musicals in her time. I have two on 16mm, "By The Light Of The Silvery Moon" 1953 and "Lullaby Of Broadway" 1951.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2019 09:24 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps she was the one actress I would really have liked to meet, she was an all round entertainer, mixed with a very hard life, on and off screen. She will me missed, we often view "Calamity Jane" which I think was her best ever film.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 13, 2019 10:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will be a special programme tonight (Monday 13 May) "Doris Day - Virgin Territory" on BBC4 from 8pm to 9pm.
She was known as The Eternal Virgin but the facts are slightly different. [Smile]

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 13, 2019 11:47 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorate DD movie is Love Me Or Leave Me, where she really showed her acting talent, along with some great songs.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 13, 2019 12:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son and I went to see "Pillow Talk" a couple weeks ago at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto. The theatre was having a April/May Doris Day film festival. So timely to see one of my favorite Doris Day movies just before she passed. RIP to a very talented lady.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2019 09:48 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that she was someone I'd like to be friends with. Thank God for film. We will always have Doris Day.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2019 10:48 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to see many of her films in the theater in the 60's. Just loved her.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2019 02:13 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Calamity Jane - so it needs a screening for the great lady.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 14, 2019 02:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the Super 8 400ft "Calamity Jane Promotional Reel" with some good songs and is really worth having.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2019 02:36 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer is also very good and gives a really good preview of the film.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2019 10:07 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She was one of the best! Not many great stars are left!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 17, 2019 07:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched Love Me Or Leave Me. Doris is amazing in this film, she had it all, a great voice and dancer, a very good actor, and a gorgeous face and figure. The scenes between her and Cagney are incredibly intense and she keeps up with Cagney's Oscar nominated performance every step of the way.
How can one human being have all that talent?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2019 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

whilst I appreciate Doris Day in terms of professional achievement...I just never could take her on the big screen..especially in musicals..

She was always too "out of focus" close-up wise and sugary sweet...did a lot of good work with cats and dogs though...Ill give her that .. [Smile]

Anyway - horses for courses - its the same with Rock Hudson..another manufactured star..made for the time.

Best: [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC