8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Group 9.5 Jan - Apr 2010 happenings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Group 9.5 Jan - Apr 2010 happenings
David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 02:17 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We start the New Year at St. Gabriel's Parish Hall, Lupus Street (or Churchill Gardens), Pimlico, with a bang - well, Jan 9 me showing 'The Dresser' (Albert Finney, Tom Courtenay et al) on 16mm.
Jan 23 Kevin Brownlow (famous film historian, director and biographer) talking about Bessie Love with clips. All digital!
Feb 6 9.5 optical sound 'Moscow Nights' Plus selected shorts.
Feb 20 'The Power & The Glory' (Peter Finch). Trader Faulkner (who wrote Finch's biography) will be our special guest and introduce the film.
Mar 6 A talk and demonstration (with assorted shorts) of 28mm (introduced in 1912) by Grahame Newnham.
Mar 20 A tribute to Ray Pappeia (an elderly late member) provided by Guy Edmonds (a young member, working in Holland on film restoration) showing a mixture of amateur, 3D and the odd short.
Mar 27 THE SPRING FAIR opens 10.30, £1 entrance. Dealers & sellers and bring & buy. Light refreshments. If you'd like a stall - contact me on reels4de on ntlworld (which is .com).
Apr 10 Group 9.5 AGM - with films afterward!
Remember - non-members are welcome to visit (as long as they can pay for tea & bikkies!)
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow David, what a line up! How on earth did you get Kevin Brownlow to come and give a talk! [Cool] The UK collectors really have it made - we are so envious here in the US!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:37 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep Paul I agree, definitely jealous over here in Cali....Make sure someone shows the Pathex version of The Sawdust Ring for the Bessie Love program as I think it may be 1 reel longer than the pathescope. Funny Bessie Love story - I was on a tour at the Hearst castle a couple of years ago and we were shown the guest quarters. I saw a photo of Bessie on the night stand in one of the rooms and asked if that was her personal room. They sheepishly said "No.....uh that is just a prop."

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino,
I love Hearst Castle, particularly the theater. Every time I go there I get the feeling of how it must have been there at the height of Hollwood's Golden Age, when every weekend a convoy of movie stars would arrive for a big overnight party. What a glorious time that must have been.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2009 11:29 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - It is 'cos we're tall, slim & handsome - and tell porkies!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is still equipment in the Heast Castle projection booth -- what a hoot it would be to find out what's in it, though I already know that a normal tour guide can't help us find out! [Wink]

What fascinated me is that the main projector(s?) somewhat visible through the porthole appears to be a reversed left-access machine.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 05, 2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
I have Ken Murray's book The Golden Days of San Simeon which is loaded with photos of Hearst and his movie guests. Really fascinating reading. Ken Murray also took loads of 16mm home movies of the Hearst parties. I wonder where they are now? Maybe in the UCLA archives?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 03:42 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I think of it - my show on 9 Jan was scrubbed due to weather - and I'll probably do it around Apr - Jun!
Cheers, David E

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC