8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Saving a film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saving a film
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 14, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased not long time ago some sound (French) films. The seller gave me two free films (without titles) he didn't check. I noticed when putting Filmguard on them that tey were both in bad condition : one was on a almost too small reel and had a damaged beginning, the other one had damaged perforations and many "razor cuts" on a part of the frame. So, I spent hours (I know I am crazy) to repair the razor cuts and the damaged perofrations with tape (I have a CIR splicer) and made some glue splices. I then projected the film and had the good surprise to see I forgot only three or four damaged places (I fixed during the projection) and "saved" this film. The other one appeared to be put on the wrong side (end beginning) but was in good condition (except for above mentionned part at the end of the reel. The title was even there. sadly, the film is incomplete but of course I will keep it. And guess what. I enjoyed the time I spent on that !

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 14, 2014 09:38 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time well spent Dominique...there's something very soothing and relaxing about handling film. It's hard to explain.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 14, 2014 01:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Janice. You have to live it to understand that feeling.

--------------------
Dominique

Harley Jones
Junior

- posted December 15, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Harley Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Harley Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, what effect does filmguard have on your print? I have a 9.5 home movie which has 'vinegar syndrome' and is curling up and tricky to handle.
Just wondering if filmguard would help me?

--------------------
Harley
www.cinenostalgia.co.uk

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 15, 2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Harley ! Filmaguard will sadly not cure the vinegar syndrome. I have only one film which has it (a 16 mm film, I am surprised that you have a 9,5 home movie which has it). I put several times Filmguard on it but the smell is still there. In another thread, Pat from this forum said he could remove the smell (so only the symptome, not the desease itself) with Febreeze wipes. That said, Filmguard is usefeull to clean and lubricate films, especially as some old 9,5 films can be very dirty. There is a professionnel threatment for vinegar syndrom but the result dépends on the state of avancement of it and it is probably expensive (but for home movies, it may be considered if they are valuable).

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC