8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Striping machine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Striping machine
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 07:00 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the opportunity to get at reasonnable price a 9.5 striping machine and it arrived today. I understand it is a British make.
 -
The manual came with the machine and I think I understand how it works but any advice from someone who has used a model like this would of course be valuable. It seems to be not too difficult to use but I Wonder if it is really efficient. The only way to know is of course to try so I ordered glue and will test the machine with a repleaceable film.
 -

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice find Dominique! Hope it is successful for you. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 10:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
You may find this of interest.
http://www.supersound.org.uk/filmstripers.html

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 10:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Andrew and Maurice. I saw in one of the article of Maurice's link the expression the "Three Days Week". Following Wikipédia it was an energy saving measure that allowed the commercial use of electricity only three days a week. That was radical !

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Three-Day Week" lasted from 1st January 1974 to 6th March 1974 and was introduced by the Government following the Oil Crisis of 1973 and problems with The National Union of Mineworkers and their members.

Electricity was "rationed" to industry to only three days a week. At the time I used my car for business purposes and was usually out five days a week.

My employers, in an attempt to save petrol, insisted that we worked in the office for two days a week, the remaining three days we were out and about. It meant longer days out whilst all the relevant paper work was done in the two days in the office.

As I worked for the local Electricity Board we were lucky that the office was always with power.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember those candlelit evenings well as a cine loving 8 year old including the famous "winter of discontent" where the country ground almost to a complete standstill.

Lot's of days off school as we had no heating so lots of time to enjoy my then Cinerex dual guage silent projector with my school friends. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster was positively worn out!

The Billy Elliot movie really captures the mood and atmosphere of this era well in this historical time in England.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did buying a striping machine get onto the 3 day week? I remember in my film making days using as super 8 striper. Very hit and miss but the stripe never came off. If I had been younger I might have appreciated the adhesive smell.

As for Cinerex projectors I think that was projector number 2 for me after the classic Royal projector I bought mail order from Mailmaster aka as Portland from a magazine called Titbits. I won't even try to explain the title but it wasn't what you are thinking.

Anyway the Cinerex SU510 was a great improvement apart from uniquely scratching everything you projected on it. You could record onto it plus it has reverse projection with sound a feature even the Elmo GS1200 didn't have!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, as I said, the Three Day (I just realized there is strangely no "s") week expression appears in one of the article to which Maurice kindly give a link. I don'e expect to succeed at the first attempt but will not neither try a dozen time. If it doesn't work I will wait for the next French 9,5 club meeting to ask help, hoping someone there has done that before and can show me how to use the machine properly if I cannot achieve good results.

--------------------
Dominique

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 12:54 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a case of trial and error in lining it up Dominque. Experiment with small portions of film at first. If it doesn't work out as expected the 9.5 club should be able to provide advice.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I had one of these 9.5mm versions and sold it at a "Get Together" some years ago. The sripe was supplied by Supersound on a 3 inch reel. The cement was supplied in a tiny bottle with an eye dropper cap. The stripe can only be applied on the base side of acetate film. The film had to be completely clean and oil or lubricant free. The stripe base was also acetate or it would not join. I used it for a couple of my films but although it appeared to have worked, I found that after projecting the film a couple of times, and recording a sound track, it would start to peel off at splices so I gave up on it. The stripe was on the original edge of the film as introduced by Pathescope for the "Marignan" and Joinville projectors. The 16mm conversions use the opposite edge which has now become the standard!! The 8mm fraternity were better served as they could also use a gadget called a "Cut a Rut" which as its name implies cut a narrow groove for the stripe to lay in and avoided the "step" at the splices. There was a company called EVT Magnetics here in the U.K. who would stripe films at reasonable costs. We had the choice of "laminated" stripe as above or "Paste stripe"
For us home movie makers, with many editing splices in our films, the latter seemed the most successful. This was of course before the days of tape splicers. Anyway Dominique, best of luck with your purchase, but do not try it with a film you value! Ken Finch. [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 05:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Ken. I got glue on Friday but had no time this week-end to try (I think you must dedicate time enough if you want to do that properly). I got an advise from a French ninefiver about cleaning the film but the product he mentionned is not sold in Belgium or is sold Under another name so as I planned to go to Lille next Saturday I may find it there. So I will try to stripe leader film. Your comment about the side of the track is a vital point : I hope the stripper allows to put the track on the correct side. Splices are as I understand a problem if they are not completely plane. I think the Hannel splicer is good for that job. It is still possible to have 8, super 8 and 16 mm professionnaly stripped but as far as I know not 9.5. Color City removed that service from their website (but they didn't put all their producys on it so they may still do it on request, I don't know) and I have no reference at all of the Spanish stripping place (individual or company ?).

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC