Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathé Baby with Magneto

Good afternoon,

I'm restoring a Pathé Baby with magneto and I cannot find any picture of my version (magneto on the side instead of on the back) except the one I attach.

I would love to find pictures of the real thing to be able to check some details of it.

Thank you in advance

Pedro Martinez

Hi Pedro,

I happen to have one of these Magnetos, what sort of pictures do you require. I can take some of it apart if you need pictures of the internals too.

Regards,
    Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan

There are 2 rods to attach it to the side of the projector that I'm missing and there must be some sort of rubber pads to put between the projector and magneto.

I also need the diameter of both pulleys because I'm missing one and the other is completely broken in small parts (disintegrated pot metal)

Thanks!

Comment

OK I'll dig the magneto out and start taking pictures. You are correct about the rubber pad. I have one in a dilapidated state somewhere, I'll see if I can find that too!

I'll also take pictures and internal/external measurements of the pulleys, and all other dimension critical components.
        Last edited by Daniel Bottom; September 25, 2024, 01:47 AM. Reason: Pulleys, dimensions etc.

Comment

Hi Pedro,

Here's a photo of the long Pathe Baby Magento bolts and nut that you wanted. There are two each of these. I had hoped to get the dimensions more accurate, but I've only got a digital caliper in mm which had run out of battery. Also I found my phone's digital camera lens is out of alignment causing a focussing problem! Originally envisaged as one photo, now split into three separate ones:

The Magneto Attachment Bolt:

Pathe Baby Magneto Bolt 1 of 2

and the second half:

Pathe Baby Magneto Bolt 2 of 2

The Pathe Magneto attachment nut:

Pathe Baby Magneto Nut 1 of 1

Comment

I'll include the 'vital' mushroom base size and other stuff tomorrow.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you very much Daniel!

Comment

Hi Pedro, was feeling lazy yesterday heh! Here are some more pictures and measurements for the pullys, and I've also included a picture of the plate that holds the magneto firmly to the side of the baby. No measurements, but will measure if you do not have this piece.

Measurements of the Pullys:
                Magneto and Baby Pully Sizes

Picture of Reverse side of pullys ( that face the user ):

Reverse side of pulleys

Picture of the pully Valley:

Showing Valley of Smaller Pully

Picture of the attachment plate:

Magneto Attachment Plate

Close up of why the bolts have just over half their heads:

Why Bolt Heads are cut

Magneto setup without Baby and without the rubber bit on the magneto side:

Magneto with attached plate in proper position

Magneto gives out 6 Volts
                The diameter of the mushroom bit ( the head of the bolt I mean is 1.2cm )

Hope this all helps!
                Dan
                Last edited by Daniel Bottom; September 27, 2024, 09:48 AM. Reason: Diameter of bolt head

Comment

Actually I've been thinking, whilst we are on the subject of the Magneto, I remembered that the crank that I have has been damaged by use. As the crank turns clockwise the screw on the axel of the magneto has managed to drill a nice hole right through the crank, resulting in it being very difficult to turn. Do you have an idea how I could fill the hole, without impeding the pre existing threads.

I have the little tiny section that has come away, would some sort of epoxy resin do? Or milliput perhaps ? J B Weld ?

A poor design oversite by Pathe I think:

Knackered crank bit:

Knackered crank section

Thanks !

Comment

Hi Daniel

I cannot express how much I appreciate all this information. Thank you very much indeed.

I have already made the screws, wingnuts and pulleys. I have also stripped the little paint that was still attached to the body, removed the rust from the magnet and painted everything.

Now I have to make the attachment plate and cast a new crank because mine is broken in two parts.

I will gladly cast another for you for free. You will have to send me yours to be able to remove the bakelite handle and install it on the new one.

The only part I'm missing pictures is the rubber pad(s) that go between the magneto and projector.

I will post pictures this weekend to show the progress.

Regards and again thank you!

Pesro

Comment

Mould for making a new crank is ready. I hope to have time tomorrow to cast it.

Comment

Hi Pedro,

Thank you so much for the offer, that's so generous of you and I'd really appreciate it! I'll pay for postage both ways, it's the least I can do.

I'm glad that what I posted was useful too of course.

I noticed on one of the other threads that you are restoring a Baby projector too. Do you still need some tips on how to dismantle this, by any chance? If you need some spares (free!) , and if I have them I can stick them in the same package for you.

What material did you make the mould out of?

Comment

Quick post before I go to bed.... I have now found the strip of rubber that sits in between the Magneto and the Baby! Will post pictures and measurements later. I have a busy weekend so it'll probably be Monday or Tuesday...

Comment

Working...
                          X