No announcement yet.

9.5 filmstock: Where to find it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominique, I was curious how often does 9.5 stock becomes available? Is it every few years or has it been even more sporadic? Gauging how much I should order from CFA.

Comment

Yoram, it doesn't work exactly like that. It depends on the reason why the stock is not available. Several years ago, the 9.5 filmstock was supplied by a (French) company called SEF. They had to stop for no good reasons I will not detail here (too bad story). While they were in activity, I think there has not been shortage of film. The Ciné Club 9,5 de France owns the machines that reperfors 35mm to 9.5, so when the SEF stopped they had to find a lab that would stock theses machines, use them to provide 9.5 films and process. That lab was Ciné Dia, the former name of CFA (the owner, Daniel Colland sold his activities). The only reason why Ciné Dia stopped to manufacture 9.5 film is that the 35mm unperfored stock became unavailable (when Daniel Colland felt that that could happen, he asked the provider to warn him early enough in advance in order to buy film and make a large stock, but unfortunately, the provider didn't). When CFA will bring 9.5 again on the market, the three reasons that may them stop would be, I believe : a technical problem with the machine, 16mm stock no longer available or they stop business.

Comment

I don't want to jump the gun here and promise something I cannot deliver, but did want to mention that we have acquired the slitter and perforator that Grahame L. Newnham used to use (which was originally owned by Walton films) and will soon begin offering 9.5mm leader sales again at a considerably discounted rate from other options. I am estimating around $35 US per 100ft. Once I get more familiar with the machine I will also begin doing some tests on Ektachrome as I have contacted Kodak in regards to 35mm unperforated stock and I can purchase it. I am still waiting to hear back about the white acetate leader, which if it is available unperforated, I should be good to go. In addition to Grahame's machine I previously had acquired some other machines such as a 35mm unperf to 35/32 perforator, and a 35/32 slitter, which would mean I could get 2000 feet of 9.5 out of 1000 feet of 35mm. Here is a short video from yesterday when I finally got the machine up and running

Comment

Originally posted by Dino Everett View Post
          I have contacted Kodak in regards to 35mm unperforated stock and I can purchase it.
          Well, I'm surprised as we were told Kodak was only willing to sell it if the buyer takes a large volume. From what I understood, Kodak doesn't manufacture it and that would be a special batch made specially on order. If things have changed or if the Frenchs who contacted Kodak misunderstood in the first place, I can only see good news for the future of 9.5 if it's possible to get that 35mm unperfored stock.

Comment

Dominique, now you have me worried so I just emailed Kodak again to make absolutely sure that the sales person I contacted was correct in what she told me. Will let you know....

Comment

Let's keep our fingers crossed. For some unknown reason, I often found difficult to get precise acurate reliaible informations about 9.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
                Yoram, it doesn't work exactly like that. It depends on the reason why the stock is not available. Several years ago, the 9.5 filmstock was supplied by a (French) company called SEF. They had to stop for no good reasons I will not detail here (too bad story). While they were in activity, I think there has not been shortage of film. The Ciné Club 9,5 de France owns the machines that reperfors 35mm to 9.5, so when the SEF stopped they had to find a lab that would stock theses machines, use them to provide 9.5 films and process. That lab was Ciné Dia, the former name of CFA (the owner, Daniel Colland sold his activities). The only reason why Ciné Dia stopped to manufacture 9.5 film is that the 35mm unperfored stock became unavailable (when Daniel Colland felt that that could happen, he asked the provider to warn him early enough in advance in order to buy film and make a large stock, but unfortunately, the provider didn't). When CFA will bring 9.5 again on the market, the three reasons that may them stop would be, I believe : a technical problem with the machine, 16mm stock no longer available or they stop business.
                I guess what I meant is how bumpy has the ride been to get your hands on 9.5 stock in the past few years since sources seem to be difficult to find and often come and go. I trust CFA will deliver some stock but it seems it has been a few years since they were able to in the past, and might stop too for any reason. I'm trying to get a sense of how much I should order knowing they might end up not being able to keep a steady supply of 9.5 in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoram Benz View Post

I guess what I meant is how bumpy has the ride been to get your hands on 9.5 stock in the past few years since sources seem to be difficult to find and often come and go. I trust CFA will deliver some stock but it seems it has been a few years since they were able to in the past, and might stop too for any reason. I'm trying to get a sense of how much I should order knowing they might end up not being able to keep a steady supply of 9.5 in the future.
                  I personnaly, try to always have enough films in advance. Impossible to advice you about which quantity of films you should stock as that depends on your projects and the budget you're ready to dedicade.

Comment

I don't want to jump the gun here and promise something I cannot deliver, but did want to mention that we have acquired the slitter and perforator that Grahame L. Newnham used to use (which was originally owned by Walton films) and will soon begin offering 9.5mm leader sales again at a considerably discounted rate from other options. I am estimating around $35 US per 100ft. Once I get more familiar with the machine I will also begin doing some tests on Ektachrome as I have contacted Kodak in regards to 35mm unperforated stock and I can purchase it. I am still waiting to hear back about the white acetate leader, which if it is available unperforated, I should be good to go. In addition to Grahame's machine I previously had acquired some other machines such as a 35mm unperf to 35/32 perforator, and a 35/32 slitter, which would mean I could get 2000 feet of 9.5 out of 1000 feet of 35mm. Here is a short video from yesterday when I finally got the machine up and running
                    Dino please keep us posted, would love to have more options for film stock.

Comment

A test film has bern made by a member of the Club and everything is ok. Hopefully therd should be fresh 9.5 filmstock, soon. The first film made will be deivered to the people who bought them via the suscription, so CFA's webside may not show the availability of the films beforf that (but that's just a guess, I don't know how long it takes to manufacture the films). Good news, isn't it?

Comment

Official Announcement: Launch of the New 9.5 mm Film by Color Films Archives

Hi,
                        We are extremely proud and excited to announce the official launch of our brand new 9.5 mm film by Color Films Archives, a remarkable innovation marking the return of a legendary format. After years of research, development, and dedicated passion, we have succeeded in reviving this historical film, long considered lost forever.

The 9.5 mm film, predecessor to the famous Kodachrome and Velvia, holds a unique place in the history of photography and cinema. Its distinctive format and image quality have captured the hearts of enthusiasts worldwide. Today, thanks to the tireless efforts of our team at Color Films Archives, this treasure from the past is once again accessible, ready to reignite the imaginations of generations of filmmakers and photographers.

This reintroduction is more than just a comeback; it's a renaissance that offers enthusiasts of the 9.5 mm format, as well as younger generations who have never had the opportunity to experience it, a unique chance to immerse themselves in the charm of analog photography and cinema. Our new 9.5 mm film is the result of a perfect marriage between the nostalgia of traditional techniques and the advancement of modern technologies, guaranteeing unparalleled quality and reliability.

At Color Films Archives, we believe in the magic of film and in the unique ability of analog to capture not only images but also irreplaceable emotions and moments. With the launch of our 9.5 mm film, we are opening a new chapter in the history of photography and cinema, inviting enthusiasts of all ages to explore the richness and beauty of this classic format.

We therefore invite all enthusiasts, filmmakers, photographers, and curious individuals to discover our new 9.5 mm film. Join us on this exciting adventure through time and let yourself be inspired by the timeless beauty of analog film.

To learn more about our new film and to place orders, visit our website [www.colorfilmsarchives.com](http://www.colorfilmsarchives.com) and follow us on Instagram @colorfilmsarchives.

Relive history. Capture the future. With Color Films Archives, the art of 9.5 mm film lives on forever.

---

**Color Films Archives**
                        55 Avenue Joffre
                        93800 Epinay sur Seine
                        Phone: 06 28 04 62 64
                        [www.colorfilmsarchives.com](http://www.colorfilmsarchives.com)
                        Instagram: @colorfilmsarchives​

Comment

I was warned the link doesn't work. Hope this one will : http://colorfilmsarchives.com/fr_FR/accueil

Comment

still not working

Comment

still not working
                              Oups. It does on my screen. I don't know what to do.

Comment

Hi!
                                Dominique‘s link works for me… direct link to the 9.5mm films:
                                http://colorfilmsarchives.com/fr_FR/...-developpement
                                When this link also doesn’t work for Dino, then Dino’s browser or anti-malware-software is most likely blocking all websites without https.

Comment

Working...
                                X