No announcement yet.

9.5 filmstock: Where to find it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was a bit younger and could afford it, I would be tempted to try it. Unfortunately it is too late and too expensive for many of us old 9.5ers! Also is it available in any other loadings other than the one displayed? The vast majority of u.k. enthusiasts have 50ft spool or 30ft charger loading cameras. A few would also have the Webo cassettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dino Everett View Post
      I don't want to jump the gun here and promise something I cannot deliver, but did want to mention that we have acquired the slitter and perforator that Grahame L. Newnham used to use (which was originally owned by Walton films) and will soon begin offering 9.5mm leader sales again at a considerably discounted rate from other options. I am estimating around $35 US per 100ft. Once I get more familiar with the machine I will also begin doing some tests on Ektachrome as I have contacted Kodak in regards to 35mm unperforated stock and I can purchase it. I am still waiting to hear back about the white acetate leader, which if it is available unperforated, I should be good to go. In addition to Grahame's machine I previously had acquired some other machines such as a 35mm unperf to 35/32 perforator, and a 35/32 slitter, which would mean I could get 2000 feet of 9.5 out of 1000 feet of 35mm. Here is a short video from yesterday when I finally got the machine up and running
      The video of the reperforator is fascinating. I suppose the machine would have been in Walton's premises in Hammersmith when I went there 60 years ago. Who would have thought etc....?
      A question that I would like to ask; why 2000 ft (and not 3000ft as Pathe got ) of 9.5 out of 1000ft of unperforated 35mm? Sorry if I have missed something.

Comment

Cliff it really comes down to what equipment does one have access to? In the past 15 years I have been doing my best to cobble together various pieces of equipment whenever I can find it and/or afford to purchase it. In the absence of a slitter/perforator store where one might have been able to say, "I would like to purchase a 35mm down to 3 strips of 9.5mm slitter please?" one might have to make do with what they can find....I have found the following:
        1) unperfed 35mm to 35/32 perforation
        2) 35/32 slitter that creates 2 x rolls of 16mm
        3) 16mm - 9.5mm perforator and slitter.

That being said I have been out of town for the past 3-4 weeks and haven't been able to follow up with Kodak regarding the legitimacy of the saleperson's claim to even be able to sell the unperfed stuff.

Comment

I get it. Quite complicated. Good luck with the "35mm to 3 strips of 9.5mm" machine! I didn't know that that part of the equation was missing.
          Is it correct that Color Films Archive have exactly that machine ex-Pathe?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Perriam View Post
            Is it correct that Color Films Archive have exactly that machine ex-Pathe?
            That Pathe machine (actually those machines, since they are three to make 9.5 film from 35 mm stock) is (are) at the moment at the Fondation Seydoux-Pathé (in Paris). They belong to the French club. Color Films has, of course, the permision to use them. But since there is no 35 mm unperfored filmstock at the moment, CFA uses another machine that also belong to the French club. That machine reperfors 16mm to 9.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
              Also is it available in any other loadings other than the one displayed? The vast majority of u.k. enthusiasts have 50ft spool or 30ft charger loading cameras. A few would also have the Webo cassettes.
              I believe the best option in that case is to buy 30 mt/ 100 ft spools and cut and load (in the dark) film in chargers. You are luck, in the UK, to have John Salim who can process 9.5 colour film.

Comment

Great to see this happen!
                Does the price (127 EUR per roll) include the processing?
                The website is not clear in this matter.
                They show „PROCESS / DEVELOPPEMENT E6“
                This could be informative only how to process the stock.
                They do not show „processing included“.
                I have messaged them already - but no reply so far.

Comment

Reply was received!

Q:
                  Hello,
                  inquiry about

Pellicule inversible couleur 9.5mm 30 m
                  127,00 €

Is the processing (development) included in the price?

A:
                  Hello,

It's not included.

Regards​

Comment

Has anybody ordered and received their 9.5 mm film from CFA yet? I placed a descent sized order over a month ago. Never received confirmation. Then reached out a little while ago by email and no reply. The phone number goes straight to voicemail, left a message there too but haven't heard back. I'm in France so it's not like its going overseas.

Comment

Hello Yoram. The films are now manufacturated and being delivered, first to the people who ordered during the souscription. Boualem, the new manager of CFA travelled to Calella and brought films with him.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240511_122816.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	100794

Boualem with Bernard Castella, president of the Ciné Club 9,5 de France.

I got the three films I ordered. I wanted to put some pictures on the Calella thread but it seems some photos cannot be uploaded. I've just tried to add a second pictures with films on it but that was not allowed. I'm still on the way home, hopefully from my computer it will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240511_102453.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	100795 Édit : I réductireduced the site of the picture.

Comment

Hey Dominique, good to hear you got yours. I spoke to Boualem before the order was placed. I ordered 10 and hoping I can get them soon as I had two of my 9,5 Pathe Webo cameras serviced by Mr Damores I recently got back. Would love to try them out. I'm also hoping to make it to the festival next year. Who knows maybe I'll have a film to show.

Comment

That would be fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Dino Everett View Post
                            Dominique, now you have me worried so I just emailed Kodak again to make absolutely sure that the sales person I contacted was correct in what she told me. Will let you know....
                            Hello Dino. Did you get an answer?

Comment

Hello Dominique, what is you're experience with CFA? Have you received your order and do you develop with them? I am being told I will get my order for the past couple months and still nothing. I missed a deadline for using it at an event that I informed them I was trying to use it for. I ordered with development included so wondering if I will ever get it back once shot at this rate...

Comment

Hello Yoram. I spoke a few days ago on the phone with Boualem. There are, indeed delays for thé delivery of films. I was lucky to get the three films I ordered, at Calella, last month. I understand some films were posted (Friday or Saturday), but some customers will not receive all the film this time (in ordered to satisfy thé maximum of people, now) , thé other films will be send later. As you know, the initial project was to start from 35 mm unperfored stock. Using 16 mm doesn't make things easy. I know it's frustrating, I wanted to buy more films, also, but will wait until more existing orders are fullfilled to avoid slowing things more. I haven't asked about the process since I'm still using stock bought before, that I send to the Uk format the process (with 4 films lost by post...). Boualem asked me to keep asking about the American track. So, Dino, if you could give us good news about the possility of buying Ektachrome 35 mm unperfored stock at reasonnable (shipping and costums included) price...

Comment

Working...
                                X