Grahame Newnham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grahame Newnham

I am deeply sad to have to report that Grahame Newnham has just passed away, another victim of Covid 19. We had been corresponding daily until just a few days ago, when the emails suddenly stopped. He was in excellent spirits, discussing various aspects of 9.5 history with me, then the disease suddenly struck him, and the end came after just a few days.

He was of course THE 9.5mm expert, but also one of the nicest, kindest, and funniest people I knew. I visited him several times in the last 18 months, ever since he needed his operations and had to move into a care home, and he was surrounded by a group of loving friends and neighbours who were rallying round to help.

In just two months, the early amateur cinema has lost two of its most important and knowledgeable characters - Grahame and Brian Giles.

What a loss. I had a little contact with Graham. All the best to his family!

Comment

Received the sad news early morning very saddening. We had been keeping in touch with dear Grahame even more over the last couple of years with ongoing health problems. Spent many a happy hour with him at the 9-5 festivals and calling when in Southampton to talk all things 9.5mm fond memories to cherish.

Regretfully I've lost a number of friends with Covid 19 now and another adds to the sadness for those who loved them all who we continue to pray for.
      God bless and keep safe and well.

Comment

So sorry to hear that. I met Graham personnally only a few times (due to his health problems, he was not able to attend 9.5 events anymore, as I understood), a friendly man. The last time I saw him was at a Group 9.5 projection in London a few years ago (that's also there I met him for the first time, over 20 years ago, he had brought a very rare 9.5 sound copy, only three in the world, of a Marylin Monroe film), he then looked healthy but I know he had severe problems. Graham's website (http://pathefilm.uk/) is certainly THE reference for 9.5, it's an incredible amount of work and many people are thankfull for what he did. I can only share the grief of all those who knew well Graham.

Comment

What terrible, terrible, news.
          Grahame recently told me that whilst he was still in the nursing home he was able to walk daily to his house nearby. He had been selling small postal items on eBay.
          A great loss for everybody.
          Rest in peace, dear chap.

Maurice

Comment

Very sad and sorry to hear of this awful news.

Comment

Very sad news to hear this. Enjoyed many shows put on by Grahame over the years at the London branch of Group 9.5. Grahame had virtually every 9.5 sound release and was often driving up from Southampton to put on a show from his vast collection. Grahame's shows always attracted a large audience partly because, I believe, he knew how to put on a show with a feature and a full supporting program as there was always a cartoon, an Ace cinemagazine, Documentary, Musical item, What the Stars Fortell etc. In later years Grahame put many of his 9.5 collection on DVD of which I own quite a few. As well as being a regular at the Spring and Autumn fairs, Grahame also attended several 9.5 Internationals with his last being 2016 which was held in Liverpool. Always very pleasant to talk to and would answer any question you had about 9.5mm.

It's nice to know his website will continue for a few years yet and I will enquire about keeping it going beyond that.

Rest in peace Grahame, you served 9.5 well.

Graham S

Comment

What very sad news. I had known Grahame from the time he joined group 9.5. He was such a nice guy and so enthusiastic about 9.5mm. He was largely responsible for maintaining supplies of camera stock and spare parts etc. after we lost our founder member Larry Pearce. I hope the Group 9.5 committee will forward condolences to his family on behalf of the members who he served so well. Ken Finch.

Comment

So sorry to hear this very sad news. I first met Grahame in 2005 at Geoff Wheeler's Big Screen Time convention in Tadley. I remember him being a very nice chap, and I sat down with him and spent some time discussing all things 9,5mm. Over the years I purchased several 9,5mm films from him and a motor and extension arms for my Pathe Baby.
                  It is very difficult to imagine the 9,5mm world without his presence. The wealth of material in his web site is simply irreplaceable, and must somehow be archived so that it is never lost.

Comment

My condolences to Mr. Newnham's family, friends and fellow collectors. His website and YouTube uploads are fascinating and essential.

Comment

I am so saddened by this news. This poor man had gone through so many health issues and to finally succumb to Covid-19 is so tragic. Just about everything I've learned about 9.5mm was from his webpage. We've lost someone special. R.I.P. Grahame.. you will be missed.

Comment

Been thinking of him most of the day. When filming my titanic 9.5 documentary down south Grahame demonstrated one of his film perforators and Duplex which was a great interest to me having a camera. These special moments do stay with you.

Comment

I am very saddened by this news and feel a huge loss that our email exchanges never led to an in-person meeting (an ocean and a continent between us). Grahame's older website on freeserve was so important to my entry into this field some 17 years ago with its fascinating tidbits about not only 9.5, but also the yet more obscure 17.5 and 28! His and a handful of other sites fueled a passion in me for small-gauge film that continues to this day and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you Grahame!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

That's tragic news and I send my deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Grahame was very kind and helpful when I enquired in January about the 9.5mm scene on the rediscovery of my collection after a 20 year hiatus! I'm pleased to say that experts and enthusiasts just like Grahame are inspirational and helped rekindle my love of vintage photography/film. Lets keep his memory alive through our passion for this great hobby.

Cheers Grahame and god bless.

Stay safe guys and keep up the good work.

Glenn

Comment

Sincere condolences from me also.

Comment

Working...
                              X