Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 9.5mm Silent or Sound film have you just watched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 9.5mm Silent or Sound film have you just watched?

Moderator: I couldn't find a thread for this so if I have missed perhaps move this to it. Thanks

What 9.5mm Silent or Sound film have you just watched? Also mention the projector and any modifications you have made.

Having recently added a stereo sound track to my Super 8 film of It's a Gift Snub Pollard we watched the 9.5mm film also playing a copy of my sound track on CD. I came a little un stuck as the S8 Collectors Club has extra shots in it so I slowed down the Gem projector a little to play catch up.
    Also watched a Steve the Horse cartoon printed in France very enjoyable always. I think I have a spare copy of that if anyone needs one.

My Gem I upgraded to a small DC motor some years ago from a Yelco I think it was taking out all of the electrics. It has switchable electronic speeds, a variable rotary control for telecine and a 100 watt Halogen lamp. I found a F1 lens for it and its a great bit of kit. Everyone needs a Gem projector if only to admire the art deco styling.

Top Tip! I got some high temperature grease off the gas engineer and lubed up the cam/claw mechanism with it great stuff and pretty permanent.

Nice job, Lee !

Yesterday, I watched two (from a serie of four) 250 m/ 800 ft home movies (not mine) from the '60s. There is a magnetic strip but on the other side of the film, so I cannot with my projectors check if there is anything recorfed or not. Since the films are about daily lives records, it's not a problem to watch them without sound. The interest is purely historical, needless to say.

Comment

Dom I inherited some magnetic 9.5 sound films nicely filmed as well a bit ago. As with yours the track was on the wrong side at least for my machine. Handy having the sprocket hole in the middle so I rewound the film and read the sound track backwards.
      I then took the video file of it into Abobe Prem software reversing the clips on a timeline and made up a audio cd. A bit of a job but it worked fine.

Comment

Thanks for that tip, Lee.

Comment

A few days ago, I followed Lee's steps by screening a 9.5 sound film ("Le commissaire est bon enfant") in memory of Grahame Newnham. Later, I watched the two remaining 250 m/800 ft home movies.

Comment

A silent Pathescope cartoon : Circus Days.

Comment

Charlot, l'homme au poing de fer (The Champion, 1915), one of the few scored silent films Pathé released.

Comment

Several short musical miniatures in Engish, two British Lion Variety reels, a documentary/newsreel in French : Le sauvetage du Dakota and of the very few musical releases in French : Etoiles du music hall. Why didn't Pathé follow Pathescope's steps and offer more musicals ? Would have been great to have Maurice Chevalier, Mistinguett and other pre-war stars on 9.5

Comment

With a Meopta projector, those sound films : Coupeurs de bois, early sound documentary (about woodsmen in Africa), Frimousset pêche un trésor (a cartoon with French titles but English sound, original title is Treasure Runt), Comment la plante se nourrit, a 1939 documentary about plants, and La vie d'un cirque, a 1937 documentary about circus, sadly my copy has a poor sound.

Comment

Another project another week..

Made a temporary test arrangement for a possible HID lamp conversion of my Pathe Vox sound projector. I've already got a 30 watt transistor amplifier in the rear box so tonight we run a feature.. Cross everything!

Something in the city Richard Hearne and a few Betty Boops.

It's all very much a test and fans have been fitted using blu tack to push pull air thru the lamp house via a 12v supply.

Comment

Just watched three newly acquired (this afternoon) sound films. A documentary, La vie d'un cirque (A Circus Life), a copy with a better sound that the one I already had (but still not 100 % good), the title speaks for itself. Then, A la fraîche, qui veut boire (The World's Affair), a 1933 US cartoon. Pathé released it with the original soundtrack in English. Finally, Symphonie pastorale (Pastoral Symphony), views of the countryside with a music soundtrack. I also bought three longer films together with those but still have to clean and check them. That will take some times.

Comment

Ended our S8 Zombie show with BETTY BOOP HALLOWEEN PARTY 9-5 sound and SKELLETON DANCE Magnetic sound, a project of years ago.

Comment

A 1935 French film, L'équipage (Grahame's list gives The Plight as title in English). It's a drama set during WW I. The film is a remake of a 1927 (silent, of course) French film. A 1937 American version exists, The Woman I Love.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201025_215551.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	19615

Comment

Dom
                            i don't recognise that projector. Is it a conversion?

Comment

Yes, it is, Terry. A Meoclub originally magnetic and optical sound on 16 mm but "only" optical sound on 9.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X