Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 9.5mm Silent or Sound film have you just watched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot complain, Terry 😉

Comment

Last night after our S8 show we watched SECRET OF THE LOCK sound feature. I love everything about it...reely. We ran it on my HID converted Pathe Vox but I'm struggling to get the cooling airflow right but will eventually get there in the end. Picture wise it looks awesome but the cooling is definitely a problem. Antique projector = problems. BUT I have a solution :-)

Dangerous Years again tonight 1947 with Ms Monroe is her first appearance enjoyable and pretty rare now.

Comment

Great Lee ! I saw a Buckingham (or at least, it was a converted Eiki) with a HDI lamp at Blackpool a few years ago. Sadly, the happy owner of that projector did only a 9.5 projection one year. Needles to say, it was fantastic to see our gauge can still be improved.

Just watched a (sound) French film : "Pas si bête" (1946) with the famous actor Bourvil. A man from the countryside visits his uncle, who became rich, and undermines all the freeloaders around. Bourvil sings two songs in the film, not the best ones in his career but Bourvil is Bourvil 😀

Comment

A French early (1932) talkie : Un rêve blond with Liliane Harvey, Henri Garat and Pierre Brasseur. There has been a German version (Ein blonder Traum) and an English one (Happy Ever After). Lilian Harvey played in those two versions as well. Pierre Brasseur had a son, Claude Brasseur, who died recently and was also actor. It's in the family : Alexandre Brasseur is the son of Claude and is... actor. Henri Garat was a very famous actor in the early '30s but sadly died poor in the '50s. He tried, with Lilian Harvey (who was already ill), to renew with success but it has been a disaster. Lilian Harvey, after having got her fortune stolen from the nazis back, offered to help Henri Garat but he refused.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_004655.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	33965 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_014359.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	33966 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_014416.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	33967

Comment

"Le rat des villes..." is the Starewicz version, I am sure. I have it in super 8.

Comment

Indeed, Panayotis. I've just checked in the 9.5 Encyclopaedia.

Comment

Had a guy on the Phone wanting a Specto 500 HID conversion doing. Not ideal as no permanent cooling on standby. The 500 was my Dads favorite machine which he projected 3D films on. Dad filmed with 2 cameras locked together by cable then on 2 X Specto machines also locked by cables in village halls during the 50's 3D fad. Sound was via reel to reel.
                9-5 has such a strong history of ground breaking tech it is so much loved. The locals in our film group cant wait to get back to 9-5 film making.

Comment

Didn't see it myself but someone in France has a 9.5 sound camera built (or transformed) by an amateur. And the sound is...optical ! Following the President of the Ciné Club 9,5 de France who saw this rarity, sound quality is not impressive at all but no doubt a very interesting achievement.

Comment

I seem to be getting there with the HID Vox sound projector conversion but now have super power fans fitted with a much lower running temp.

Watched 'Secret of the Loch' 1934 again a film I am very fond of. With the HID lamp the images take on a whole new meaning beautiful and I wish my Dad a keen 9-5er was still here to see it. 😌

Comment

Two comedies released by Pathescope : You Said A Hatful (1934) with Charley Chase and Charlie The Perfect Lady (1915), "An edited version (with music and new intertitles) of the silent film A Woman" says the excellent Maurice Trace's Guide To British 9.5 mm Optical Sound Releases.

Comment

A British sound film : This Is The Life (1933). I understand that the 9.5 edited version is roughly the half of the original film.

Comment

Secret Evidence, an American 1941 crime film. Strangely, the original 35 mm version is only 1:07, instead of the standard 1:30. I believe it was common to have a double features programme "in the past", so maybe the other film was a long one 😁

Comment

Quite a result Bellow Rio 9-5 sound Scan came out very well and not a bad print either for antique film.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	CVP2K.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	35645

Comment

An amazing animated film made by a French amateur in the '50s. Incredibly well made. It must have taken a lot of time as large sections of the footage use the fame by frame technique. The film starts in black and white and ends in colour. The bad news is that there has probably been a separate soundtrack (as there are no intertitles to clarify the story) now lost. It's a Christmas tale inspired by the Little Match Girl. The film is mounted on a common spool, without box or can or any indication it's a special film. Who knows how many little unique marvels like this ended in the bin ?

Comment

At home with Sabrina. Sabby lived at Blackpool with her parents and the house is still there to see.

Watched a S8 film about a guy with a Specto 9.5 projector going out giving shows in the 50's which was a lovely watch.

Ended with Its a grand old world feature with the great Sandy Powell, easily my favourite film on 9.5 sound. Sandy was a very nice man who always had time for a chat back stage.

Comment

Working...
                                X