Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 9.5mm Silent or Sound film have you just watched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A musical miniature : "Chop Sticks", then two (sound) documentaries : "The Frog", a rare 9.5 print as only few test copies were made (only of part 1) and "Panorama musical", about the history of the music.

Comment

A French silent notched film in four parts : L'homme à l'Hispano/The Man With An Hispano (1926). I hadn't used my Pathé Lux for a while because the lamps used are now hard to find. As the name of the projector suggets it (lux meaning light), the picture is brighter than with a Pathé Baby or a Coq d'or. In the midle of the first part (each part is 100 m/330 ft, the original 35 mm film has a duration of two hours) I noticed smoke coming from tha base, which is never good (but as you can see, I'm still alive). At the end of the film, I unscrewed the base to look at the resistance (from where the smoke seemed to come). I suspected oil having leaked, so I cleaned the involved zone and screwed back. No smoke during the first part of the second reel but it came back about the middle, once again. I noticed that there seemed to be oil evidences to decided to let the resistance cold before putting the third part. Same routine : smoke at the middle of part three and then of part four. The good news (apart that the projector didn't exploded in my face) is that the bulb is still good. A bout the film itself : it has an actor (the one who plays the main role, Georges Galli)) who became priest when he left cinema. You learn something everyday : one of the female character is named Stéphane, which I always believed was a male name only but after having checked on the Net, I had a confirmation that there are some (very few) women named Stéphane (but no celebrity). In 1933, another filmmaker made a sound version of L'homme à l'Hispano but I didn't get the chance, so far, to see it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211012_235441.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	44269

Name:	IMG_20211012_235507.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	44270

Name:	IMG_20211013_021919.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	44271
      Georges Galli.

Name:	IMG_20211013_021934.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	44272

Name:	IMG_20211013_021940.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	44273

Comment

Recently, I watched several amateur films (not mine), among them several have a magnetic soundtracK. Today, I've just watched a French 1941 sound film : Nous les gosses (We The Kids).

Comment

Nice Dom.
          Finished a very long weeks work watching some films just back from processing. Thank you Germany for a wonderful job a top process.

Been tinkering with a rusty Lux projector so ran a couple of notched films one stencil coloured and it ran reasonably well. Ended with one of the Pathe promo films on 9.5 very nice.
          I shall try and bring the Lux to Blackpool for a mini show.

Comment

In which gauge, Lee ? I would be surprised you had 9.5 films processed in Germany, although not impossible since I heard recently that a German company is capable of doing it.

Watched yesterday : (all sound films) Trooping The Colour, You're Not Built That Way (Betty Boop) and the 1940 American film I Take This Oath.

Comment

Two nights ago : amateur (not mine) films and three musicals : My Girl Loves A Soldier, Variety n°10 and a spool with three other musical miniatures.

Comment

A 1937 British comedy (bought recently at Blackpool) with Sandy Powell (Can you hear me, mother ?) : It's A grand Old World. The copy is in excellent condition.

IT'S A GRAND OLD WORLD (pathefilm.uk)
                Last edited by Dominique De Bast; December 05, 2021, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Three silent amateur films : one in black and white with Léo Valentin, a famous French parachutist in the '50s. He died in 1956 at the age of 37 in an accident in Liverpool, and two in colours in which you see tramways in the '70s, in Belgium (Brussels and the coast) and in France (Marseille and around).

Comment

Two French sound films. Un demi siècle d'actualités (A Half Century Of News) : as the title suggests, it's a review of news from the beginning of the XXth century. It ends with the atomic bomb so I date the film just after the WW II. This films (I got about ten days ago) is not reported in any 9.5 catalogues. Les forains (The Stallholders, I'm not sure it's exactly the correct translation in English : in French, a "forain" can work in a fairground or in a circus). This documentary (with few dialogues), from the '30s shows a lot of views of fairgrounds and circus.

Comment

Finally and took a bit of getting around to it my best Pathe Vox now has a 50 watt amp and HID lighting.
                      Watched Land without music best sound on 9.5 and like stepping back in time wonderful

Comment

Two Shirley Temple shorts (250m/800ft) : Shirley Temple moucharde and Shirley Temple aime les chiens. Both films have the original soundtrack in English with (of course, French) subtitles (sometimes they are aproximate).

Comment

Two of the three sounds films bought at the Big Screen Time Revival (the third one needs to be respooled) ; the (patriotic) documentary : The Heritage Of Defence, and Blue Blazes (1936) with Buster Keaton.

Name:	20221019_235140.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	67413 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221019_233531.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	67414 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221019_235822.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	67415

Comment

Yesterday night : Kiddies on Parade, a musical and Hungarian Rhapsodie, a silent film with a music score. And of course, the films I got processed from John Salim last Monday.

Comment

Yesterday night, a notched film in two 20m / 60ft cartridges : The Lady's Companion. A film I got for free from forum member Christopher Bird, for which I thank again.

Comment

Yesterday night, Betty Boop's Halloween Party (sound), the famous cartoon, it was the best day of the year to screen it, then (alos sound) Spooks Run Wild (1941), an horror/comedy film with Bela Lugosi.

Comment

Working...
                                X