B&H Filmo 70DL ... single vs double perf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&H Filmo 70DL ... single vs double perf

Hi all. I am the proud new owner of a Bell and Howell 173B Diplomat projector and Filmo 70DL camera. I was getting ready to order some 16mm film so that I can test out the camera, however I am confused by something. Everything I have read about the 70DL says that it accepts single perf film, however upon inspection I can clearly see teeth on both sides of the feeder and take-up sprockets. Despite all the info I've read, were there 70DL's that came equipped for double perf? Or did I get unlucky and find a 70DL that someone intentionally converted to double perf?

Does anyone know where I could find replacement sprockets that are single perf, and know which other parts I might need to swap out on this camera to be able to use single perf film?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4774.jpg Views:	0 Size:	295.8 KB ID:	51887
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4775.jpg Views:	0 Size:	401.2 KB ID:	51888Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4776.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	51889

The 70DL manual even illustrates single perf film being loaded, and makes no mention whatsoever about film needing to be double perf vs single perf.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 2.56.33 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	858.6 KB ID:	51891

Comment

Josh
      Have a look at my attachment.
      It says that the B&H 70DL was manufactured from 1929 to 1970. I therefore suggest that your model was made before single perf film became the normal.
      I understand that double perf raw 16mm is now, once again, available.

BELL & HOWELL 70DL 16MM FILMO – Old School Cameras (shopoldschool.com)

Comment

Ah, very enlightening. Thanks Maurice, that does make much more sense now. Yes, double perf is indeed available again, however it seems to be prohibitively expensive for a hobbyist (unless I'm looking in the wrong places). I've only seen it for $100/100ft, which is not going to work for me. Can anyone suggest a potentially more affordable source for it?

Do you think this 70DL can easily be converted to single perf? I have seen older 70DA discussions that mention swapping out sprockets and such, but have yet to find any specifics nor a reliable source for the parts.

Thanks again!

Comment

Josh
          There is, of course, the claw's position to consider.
          A fellow member, Richard C. Patchett, does service Bell & Howell 16mm projectors. Perhaps he might be able to help you with the camera.

RC's Classic Collection Movies on 16mm Parts & Service (rcsclassic16mm.com)

Comment

Working...
          X