Bell & howell 1695 volume problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell & howell 1695 volume problem

Picked up another b&h 1695 in excellent hardly used condition, it does have a couple of cracks to the worm gear but works fine except there is a problem with the volume. The volume works but when the volume wheel is set on zero it is still quite loud.This is a problem when playing silent films as you get the noise from the sprocket holes on the other side of the film. Is there an adjustment so that it is silent when set on zero ?.

Have you tried spraying the pot with contact cleaner? Something like Servisol Super 10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KEB6...PSYFA5AR3S5BQY
    Last edited by David Strelitz; April 14, 2022, 04:36 PM. Reason: Cheaper price on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by David Strelitz View Post
      Have you tried spraying the pot with contact cleaner? Something like Servisol Super 10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KEB6...PSYFA5AR3S5BQY
      Yes, good idea i have some of that, i’ll give it a try. thanks david.

Comment

Lovely little machine. Used mine for years and never let me down. I bought a spare (same model) just in case but never needed it. Used it last night for an Easter film at The Salvation Army. Hope you solve the problem

Comment

Jason
          When running double perf silent stock insert a small piece of card between the exciter lamp and its sound optics.

Comment

I sprayed the pots from underneath and no change, still quite loud even on the zero setting.

Comment

Jason
              Try what I suggested above.
              It should be quite a simple thing to do when you show silent films.

Comment

Maurice, yes thanks for the tip but i will probably sell this one so would like to try to fix it.seems to be working perfect other than this.

Comment

Do you have an electrical schematic for this machine? It would help with troubleshooting.

i would think there must be an on/off switch for the sound somewhere. Do you have an identical machine already? If so, and it is working that could help figure out what is wrong with this one. Usually turning the volume pot down shunts the signal to ground. If it’s not doing this, the pot itself may be damaged somehow.

Perhaps there is a physical stop on the knob itself, and loosening any set screws on the knob might allow you to adjust its position on the shaft. You might simply try removing the knob and seeing if the shaft can turn farther and turn the sound off.

Comment

1695 is optical only, I believe. What happens if you remove the exciter lamp? Is the noise there when the projector is powered and not running. Hum crackle???
                    I am only thinking aloud as when I switched to a 1694 last year, it was supplied and modified by Guru Kevin Brown, great purchase.

Comment

Jason, Your potentiometer appears to be defective and should be replaced. That part is not expensive, and if you can access it easily there are only two wires that have to be connected to a new potentiometer. You will need to find a new one that will fit were the old one is, and you will need to determine the correct ohm rating. If you need to do major disassembly to even get to the potentiometer you may have to find someone qualified to work on the projector.

Comment

Refer to figure 26 to show the volume and tone controls on the 1695.
                        Volume control is a 50k.
                        BHTQIII.pdf (film-tech.com)

Comment

Also, if you have never worked on an amplifier, review safety precautions. Amplifiers that are turned off and unplugged can still have dangerous electric charges stored in capacitors. Below is an example on Youtube of precautions to keep in mind.

Comment

I'm sure the 1695 is a transistor amplified model not valve (tube) like that in the video, but a good warning for earlier models.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                              ...I'm sure the 1695 is a transistor amplified model...
                              Brian is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X