Castle 16mm Shorts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle 16mm Shorts!

I find I'm enjoying Castle 16mm shorts a lot lately. The ones I know are all 400 feet and sound, and black and white. They often involve some kind of sporting event from many decades ago.

I got into these in kind of an odd way: my son has a dual-gauge 8mm machine, so when I found out about Three Bruins in a Canoe in R8 silent, I bought it for him, since we canoe quite often. Lo and Behold I saw it after that in 16mm with sound right around the time I got a 16mm machine, and after that the chase was on!

Some I've snagged in the meantime are Ski-Mania, Calgary Stampede, Daredevils on Ice, Hawaii World Parade and most of the Bruins series.

These seem to be profoundly under-represented on Super-8. One I do have is "Sky Diving" which is sound and black and white. (I'll have to say: even as a pretty big fan of black and white, I wish this particular reel was color!) To my knowledge, the Bruins never made in onto S8 sound: kind of a pity.

Maybe this is some personal interest. My Mom had a job on Park Avenue at the Universal Studios Building where she worked IBM keypunch shipping consignments of Castle films to retailers. Maybe 8 years ago she visited and I showed her a Castle short. She said "That's great! I've never seen one before!". (You would think they'd show a few and keep the Troops enthusiastic, but...)

She left that job when I was born. (Let's hope that this remains the most damaging thing I ever do to small-gauge film!)😊

These films are just neat little shorts that you use like you would a cartoon: just something entertaining to wake the audience up before the feature! These days with that sharp black and white image and vintage ambience, they have a nostalgic look that just feels right.

-any other enthusiasts?
    Last edited by Steve Klare; December 28, 2023, 08:51 PM.

Sky Diving, a Castle release was released in S8Color/Sound, 200'..will bring it...odd thing, I also got hooked with the 16 Mil 400', and still need a few...Shorty

Comment

Hi Shorty!,

Funny thing with those B&W prints of color films: I have a wonderful 16mm Short titled Sailing Newfoundland Waters, about a crew of seven men aboard a 38 Foot boat circumnavigating the island. I bought it from the Franchettis.

This is a wonderful Black and White print, or at least I thought, until I googled the film and found out it's supposed to be color!

(-kind'a wish I never saw that!)

Comment

Then you would be enthralled over my B&W Blackhawk of Sailing A Square Rigger....

Comment

16 or 8?

I've had the S8 B&W sound maybe a year now.

(We seem to have pretty similar tastes in film!)

Comment

S8...always found that particular title to be very hard in locating, much like "Pioneer Planes & Daredevils", and sure we share a mutual admiration towards the nautical, aviation and rail

Comment

Working...
            X