Advice On Gate Chatter and Unsteady Picture Eiki Slim Line 16mm Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice On Gate Chatter and Unsteady Picture Eiki Slim Line 16mm Projector

I have an EIKI Slim Line projector (Brown Case) which I have had for many years, it’s been a wonderful work horse projector. Just recently when running film, it has become loud when film runs through the gate and chatters. Which is causing an unsteady picture.

I have lubed my projectors, but I have never dealt with this. So I am seeing if anyone else has has this problem and can give me any suggestions on what I can do to fix the problem. Do I need to adjust something with the claws or gate, or take it into my repair guy?

I don’t want to run film on it until I can get this sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    Ken

That sound like either a dried up films, or overly moisted films to me.
    Does that happen to only to a particular reel, or any reels you run on?

Comment

Could be the upper loop is not forming the upper loop has a built in device that forms it then drops down or maybe the springs in the e gate are losing strength to keep the film against the gate? Could be other things since I have 2 of these I’m sure it’ll happen to mine someday.

Comment

Thank you Jim and Nantawat for your replies.

I ran some film last night and it seemed a bit better. I clean/lube my prints and I know some old IB The prints get dry and sometimes cranky as they run. I take good care of my prints so I don't think it's mainly the prints. I have a couple of brand new prints that have been losing their loop and garbled sound. But not all the time

I think it might be the upper loop like Jim suggests and the gate getting a little lose. I have the service e manual. I am going to see if I can figure it out over the weekend. This is my favorite projected and it's never given me trouble. Maybe it needs a vacation at a film exchange LOL

I will report back if I figure it out

Comment

Try treading the film as usual, but with projector unplugged, then manually move the mechanic by hand using the inching knob on the front to the point when the claws retracted from the film. Then try moving the film up/down a bit - there should be just enough tension from the front pressure plate to hold the film in place. If this feels "off" (excessively loose, or unusually tight) then the gate assembly is somewhat off the alignment. The next suspect would be the cam/claw assembly, which hopefully wouldn't be the case as it would be more involving to resolve.

Comment

Do see after the lateral film guide. The canal should be clean as a whistle and some pressure on the film edge exerted by a spring-loaded rail.

Comment

Working...
            X