Wanted: GOKO Sound Unit compatible with GOKO GM3003 editor/viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: GOKO Sound Unit compatible with GOKO GM3003 editor/viewer

I've just purchased, and am waiting to receive, a GOKO GM3003 viewer, and I am looking to acquire a sound unit that is designed to be mounted on the accessory shoe of the GM3003. I think they were made under the brand names GOKO or ERNO, and were manufactured by Sansei Koki. They have a separate 9v power supply. I live in Los Angeles, and would be interested in purchasing a clean, functioning Sound Unit.

I've found some expired/sold listings for these items, usually titled "GOKO Sound Unit" as well as inventory listings marked "unavailable" so I would appreciate any assistance or direction in finding one of these!

I'm in the process of reviewing my family's S8 archive, and some of them have sound stripes- I know my father had a sound S8 camera. I'd like to be able to evaluate these recordings for quality and to see if they are worth digitizing. I also may try and digitize the sound using the Sound Unit output.

Thanks, and cheers.

Walton,

While I hope you find one, I would like you to know that the the sound output from these units is of very poor quality. I would not judge a soundtrack using these, as everything sounds tinny. The best way of evaluating your Super 8 sound recordings (and digitizing the output) is with either a sound projector or higher quality sound editors such as Goko's RM-8008, RM-5000 and the Erno RE-904, which is the same machine rebranded.

Doug

Comment

I have to agree with Doug on the poor quality of those sound units. Other than the tiny sound... trying to turn the film at a consistent speed is near impossible. The sound is either at to fast or two slow. I ended up selling my sound unit for that reason.

Comment

Very handy for editing though.

This add on unit is completely fine if you are not looking to judge sound quality and are making up a show reel of adverts, trailers & shorts. It is then a usefull device to edit your reel together by sound rather than picture which is more acurate.

Comment

Thanks, all, for your advice! I've decided not to get the one unit I've found here in LA- it costs as much as the editor I just received! So, I'll keep my eyes open for a cheaper unit, and focus on restoring our old ST-1200 that used to play back sound just fine. Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X