No announcement yet.

Eumig 824 Sonomatic (spares or donor machine - broken claw pin) for sale SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 824 Sonomatic (spares or donor machine - broken claw pin) for sale SOLD

Hi all! Hopefully this is of interest to somebody.

I've finally listed the Eumig 824 I had issues with a while back on eBay, as I a) don't have the confidence to attempt a repair myself and b) managed to get hold of a similar machine, and can't justify having 2 around. Sorry to see it go, but I hope someone finds it of use!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304132385509
    Its set as an auction but also with the 'buy it now' option enabled - auction starting at £10, 'buy it now' price of £30, either way add postage of £16.62 (it's a heavy beast!) - posting to UK only, apologies to international viewers.
    Listing will end on Monday 13th September 2021, but will probably relist if it doesn't go.

The listing contains:
    One (not working) Eumig 824 projector, including a working 100w bulb, Eumig Vario Eupronet 1,6/17-30 lens, and all removable internal 'bits' (film pressure plate, standard 8 gate, super 8 gate and both super 8 sprocket adapters)
    No cables, no manual, no original box.

Details on the machine's condition:
    Mechanical / functional flaws:
    • Claw pin missing (see image 9 for detail) - the breakage of this tiny but crucial pin was identified thanks to members of this forum earlier this year - very grateful for the assistance I received there. This is the key issue I suppose
    • Plastic wedge above the gate missing - there should be a small wedge near the start of the threading path, whose absence makes it more difficult for the film to thread without manual intervention (visible in 5th and 6th images, or rather not visible)
    • Less major - sound level meter not working - though films with sound strips played very well when the machine was operational, the needle on the meter always reads maximum (best visible in 1st image, down & to the right of the 'Sonomatic' logo)
    Cosmetic flaws:
    • Cover on inching knob missing (4th image, the silver knob on the back of the machine)
    • Cover on framing control knob missing (1st image, to right of 'Sonomatic' logo)
    • Cover on focus knob quite scratched (1st image, to the right of 'Eumig 824' logo)
    • (not a flaw but something odd - a previous owner has modified the machine to have a cable coming out the back ending in a unknown fitment. The purpose is unknown but it does not affect the machine's operation)
    The projector was fully functional and running smoothly before the loss of the claw pin. The lamp lights, the motor spins and all moves as it should.

If there's any further info I can provide, do let me know! Thanks for reading all this.

Now sold!

Comment

Hello everybody,
      I'm buying a Eumig 824. The seller says it has the two sets of sprockets, two gates (8 and super8) and just one film pressure plate. In other Eumig models, like the Mark S 712 D, there are two gates (8 and super8) and two film pressure plates (8 and super8). In the 824 is the film pressure plate common for the two formats?
      Thanks
      Fabrizio

Comment

Fabrizio

The quick answer is Yes.
        The Eumig 824 is different from the earlier Eumig models.
        1) The two sprockets are permanently set for standard 8.
        2) The two sprockets for Super 8 are just rings with teeth. These clip over the standard 8 sprockets to form Super 8 sprockets.
        3) There are two gates.
        4) There is one gate pressure plate.

Eumig S 824 Printed Manual (camera-manual.com)

Comment

Thank you a lot Maurice, I was looking for this information for quite a long time.
          An advice from you: I'v got already a Mark S 712 D, that I use for grabbing audio only. I put a sensor inside that gives me a "pilot" signal that I use to stretch the audio by software in order to sync it perfectly with the images that are grabbed by a new high quality scanner. In your opinion is the sound quality of the 824 sensibly better than that of my 712 D, which is a bit noisy and with some hum?
          Thank you
          Fabrizio

Comment

Fabrizio
            My 824 is fabulous. The sound is great. It's the first 700/800 series model to have a tone control.
            It also has a two-position lamp setting.
            I can thoroughly recommend it.

Comment

Maurice along with others actually recommended the 824 to me.

As stated, Super 8 sprockets and reel center are fitted as standard. There was included a plate with adhesive panel to hold the Super 8 pieces whilst playing Regular 8. The gate consists of two separate parts to clamp the film. One part is common to both Super 8 and Regular 8. The other part performs two function.
              1. Masking the formats picture frame.
              2. Guiding the film for audio sync.
              One format requires a longer path to sync audio. The gate part has an elongated tong as aposed to the "broken" tong on the other (it's not broken, it's built that way to guide the file for the shorter audio path) gate part.

There is also a power switch that when off, locks the projection mode selector. Easy to break.

When removing gates, move lens forward and have the dot at 12 o'clock on the manual advace dial.

The drive is disks and not belts. It's recomended to select a speed prior to engaging projection and not move it during projection. It's not a variable speed selector. The rubber on the discs or platters may need reinvigorating. There ate chemicals for the job.

Rubber can deteriorateate if the wrong chemicals are applied. Mineral Oil/White Spirit isn't good for rubber.

Anyway, they're all unique now being second hand. I have 3. Prices vary a lot and don't imply better.

Fingers crossed you get a good one. Sound head may need cleaning as with the film path and gates. No dissassembly or screwdrivers needed (except to remove back). Just clean. Even the discs can be accessed without dissassembly.

All the best with your new 824 or as I sometimes call them 844

Comment

Thank you all for your information. My 824 is being packed and will reach me in Rome in a few days. The young woman selling it was not able to test it, but from the pictures it is in excellent conditions.
                In the mean time I'm transcribing audio from 8mm films with a Eumig Mark S 712 D, which is good because I can skip the first sprocket and gate and enter directly in the audio reader (see the picture). I can also insert and remove the film very easily whitout rewinding it . Also I put an optical sensor inside that gives me 72Hz from the rotating shutter. I use this signal as a pilot signal in order to sinc audio to film externally scanned. I'll do the same with the 824.
                The 824 should have a better audio quality, probably less 50Hz hum, but can I load and unload the film so easily and skip the gate path as in the Mark S 712 D?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5222.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	49171

Comment

but can I load and unload the film so easily and skip the gate path as in the Mark S 712 D?

Unfortunately no Fabrizio, the bottom auto loop former blocks inserting the film below the gate.

Comment

My new (used) 824 is arrived! It tends to eat films (automatic loading is always a nightmare) but it is a great projector! I think it will not jam films adding a tick leader. The white leader pieces visible in the picture are too soft and jam everywhere. I liked the trick used in order to have a different audio delay between 8 and super8 films, but it works only if the film is not too flexible.

Actually it is possible to insert the film into the audio head for audio-only use, I'm very happy about that since it will be much gentler with my fragile archive films, and the sound is also a bit better than the 712-D. Unfortunately, as you said, it is not possible to load and unload a film without rewinding it because of the close shape of the audio head assembly.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	eumig824audio.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	50013

Comment

Working...
                    X