Looking for WINGS (1927)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for WINGS (1927)

Is there a full feature version of the 1st Academy Award Winner for „Best Picture“ from 1927 in Super-8?
    I watched this epic masterpiece on DVD for the first time now and I am overwhelmed by this touching, stunning and tragic story of a friendship in WW1.
    It would be amazing to get it in Super-8!
    Maybe Someone can help me.
    Thank You
    Oliver

Not sure about S8, but I used to have a R8 print of the film. Great film!

- Rob

Comment

Oliver,

I have not come across a feature print of Wings, so I'm glad Rob said that they are out there, at least in Regular 8.

On Super 8 I've only seen the Ken Films 200' cutdown, which is an acceptable edit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WingsKenCover7-20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	12852

Comment

Maybe Pathescope released it on 9,5mm, after all they did have the rights for the 9,5mm prints of the Paramount Popeye cartoons.

Comment

Wow; that’s very interesting! Thank You.
          So it’s worth a hunt.
          I wonder if the Gary Cooper sequence is included in the cutdown: it’s an important, but rather short scene. Great artwork on the box

Comment

Looks like Pathescope did not release Wings. Standard/regular 8 will be the option.

Comment

I don't know who released the print that I had. It came from the US and was in generic boxes. I sold it many years ago at the BFCC in Ealing (but kind of regret that now...)

Comment

So it exists!!!!
                Great news!!!
                Thank You

Comment

Oliver,

Gary Cooper's brief but star making appearance is not in the cutdown. If I recall correctly, it includes an exciting dogfight, a bit of military action on the ground and then Jack coming home to Mary.

Doug

Comment

I have this digest but haven't seen it for ages. I will try to put my hand on it in the coming weeks. Not very honest to put Gary Cooper's name on the box if he's not in the film

Comment

Hi Oliver.

I don't know about this film on Super 8, however I lost out on bidding for it in the 16mm format on eBay - an American dealer had it up for sale about 20 months ago.

Ali

Comment

Hi Ali
                        So I should ask in the 16mm section, too!
                        Thank You very much

Dominique
                        The german DVD cover also states Gary Coopers name in BIG starring letters.
                        That‘s strange, too.
                        But his performance is remarkable!

Comment

Oliver, I can understand that his name appears on the dvd cover since he appears in the film but if I understood well, Garry Cooper does not appear in the digest (I cannot look at the moment where my copy is but now I want to watch it again )

Comment

I saw WINGS with Carl Davis conducting his score a few years ago and felt that Coop’s scene was like a cameo, though of course he was unknown when Wings was released. It’s a stand out performance and only a couple of minutes.

A few days after I actually saw Kevin Brownlow at one of the 9.5 events and I was able to tell him just that... he agreed with me!

Comment

Which is why it’s confusing that his name on the DVD cover appears next to Clara Bows name.
                              Its a great cameo!

Comment

Working...
                              X