Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: WarGames Super 8 Feature

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the full feature of WarGames on Super 8. Does anyone have it and want to sell it to me? I am in the UK so if you can let me know the price I would appreciate it. Thanks, Paul

A shame, one just sold on eBay this very day!

Comment

Osi, maybe Paul didn't see the listing or prefers to deal here on the Forum. Either way you could have mentioned that it sold for £510 from a UK seller. He was asking about price after all.

Comment

Oh. Waaaay too high of a price, by the way. I know, eBay runs on the principle of whatever a person is willing to pay is the going price, but I do wish that there could be some sanity in the form of a standard pricing. I used to think that film sellers were the outrageous prices. They are fairly accurate in they're pricing these days.

Comment

Hi Burton/ Hi Osi, Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, I did the see eBay listing. In fact, I was bidding on it myself. I bet the seller thought they'd struck gold. But at over £500 I just couldn't bring myself to do it. And considering Toy Story sold recently at £50 less, as well as a scope print of Independence Day, and a lot of other more ''desirable'' films, I just thought it was too much. I'd be happy to pay £400 though and postage. Such a shame cause I really wanted that print, but there you have it. There's just too much competition. I guess I left it a bit late to get into the Super 8 collecting hobby!!

Comment

Funny, Wargames used to be a regular on dealers list that they couldn’t sell. Usually, around the £70 to £90 mark. I remember Mike Dimmick saying it didn’t sell well for Derann as a lot of older collectors were not aware of the movie. Good film and print.

Comment

I agree, Paul, that 510 GBP is a high price for this feature. In 2019 I saw it sell for $500 USD, about 375 GBP. Here on the Forum one sold in 2016 for 180 GBP plus p&p. Features on ebay are are often sold above what one would expect. War Games is a print that you don't see for sale often. As Mike mentioned, Very Nice Color and a Sharp print. Becomes an excellent print with a A Dolby Digital stereo re-record! Even at a low starting price it will now fetch above the 500 range I suppose.

Comment

Mike Newell Exactly. And when I saw what it sold for new (£320), on this Derrann list - as well as The Terminator, it really depresses me!!

https://web.archive.org/web/20100705.../derann/8a.php

Burton Sundquist Thanks Burton. Yes, Ebay prices are crazy now. I think it would've sold for around £260 if I hadn't pushed it up as high as I did. The thing is my bidding £500 for this print was a bit crazy, but I rarely see anything that I like come up, and usually when it does they'll be dozens of other collectors bidding for it. I thought with WarGames that there was actually a chance that I would get it. And there was - until the last 5 seconds!! I've just seen that a 16mm feature print of it sold last week for half of that, so I suppose that's more indicative of what it's real market value is, when I'm not bidding

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185314367...wAAOSwTqZiGVdt

But if anyone has got this print for a fair price, then please get in touch and let me know. Thank you.

Comment

Think it is a waiting game for you Paul and time is on your side. Dealer lists and conventions are your best bet. I have it etched in my memory that particular title was always on Perrys list for years. Also, the bubble on prices will eventually burst 💥 . You are dealing with an ageing group of collectors ☠️with no new blood entering the hobby. Plus, the current economic situation will no doubt force some to sell for either debt , energy bills 🥶or the poor kids 👨‍👩‍👦‍👦need feed this month.

WarGames was the sort of title you bought on the understanding you would have a hard job selling it ever. Think, Hawk the Slayer, Raise the Titanic , The Elephant Man, 39 Steps all versions, A Night to Remember, Odd Man Out, Woman in Red, Scrooge and Happiest Days of your Life etc.

Actually WarGames is way out in front there. £150.00 for a Mint copy would be a good price. If Derann, were still on the go you would have paid half the list price for a new copy and be counting your fingers on way home.

Like the Maltese Falcon the search continues…….

Comment

Hi all,

totally agree with you Mike...that title used to just hang around..and hang around.

Worth about £90-£120 I would think due to its age.

I thiink in 12 - 18 months a lot of the more "rare" and "expensive" delights...will go for well affordable prices as they should really as it will keep the collecting fresh and moving.

Cheeeers!

Comment

Hi Mark

Yes, that was a high price. You could have got that title for £50-£70 by negotiating with a dealer a few years back.

The silly prices are being feed by memorabilia dealers / speculators. They are beyond reel collectors unless they are on serious drugs. Like all antique/collectable trends it will be hot for a year or two then they will move onto something else and prices will fall.

Alternatively, we could be visiting super 8 in the Smithsonian or British Museum. The old Original boxes ( I think someone has that market already cornered🤪) plus certain genres will remain popular but a lot of titles prices will fall you can see the trends already.

If eBay started charged a listing fee like they used to instead of taking it all when the item sells you wouldn’t see too many high starting prices or buy it nows.

Plus a lot of collections will become available as collectors make it to projector heaven 😇 or hell 👿.

Mike

Comment

That gives me hope as well! Hey! I have the optical sound feature of "Woman in Red", with great color, (no, not all red), which I bought off of eBay for 30 dollars, years ago! Though I like to whine about high prices, I must admit that all it takes is those two people that, hell or high water, MUST have the film. That wouldn't be bad, in and of itself, but it's the "trickle down effect" of other dealers that are watching a film that they have, for instance, of Wargames, seeing it sell for what it did, and next thing you know, two or three show up on eBay for, you guessed it, 500 pounds! Yeah, sooner or later, they'll all realize that it won't sell for that, but it will take a long time before they do.

Comment

Thanks for explaining all this Mike, as I had no idea. In that case I will definitley keep an eye open for these features in the future.

I agree with what you said about the above titles that you mentioned, although I had no idea there was a full feature of The Elephant Man. That's another one I'd buy if I had the chance. To me there is just something so wonderful to be able to set up a projector and watch it flicker on a big screen!!

Anyway, thanks again everyone, all this knowledge is extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

I believe there weren't many prints of The Elephant Man struck as the lab had too much wastage due to printing B&W on colour stock producing too many tinted prints that were rejected. If they had been sepia it may have been OK but I have a reel that is rather yellow!!! a "White box special".

Comment

Paul I have it but it's pinking up nicely. Many prints were made so you will eventually find one but check the stock and colour would be my advice. It's reasonably well circulated as well.
                              I recorded the sound track from a digital master which made for a great listen as well improving it somewhat.
                              ​​​​​​​You should find a print for around £250 ish I would have thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X