Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought it because of the box art, but.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought it because of the box art, but.......

It's happened to all of us. The package film's artwork is interesting enough that we're enticed to make the purchase, only to be disappointed when we screen the film. Between scanning covers for Super8database and looking at the great scans Gary Sayers put up in the Mailmaster Films thread, I've been thinking about the influence that box art has had on my decision to get a film. So which films don't live up to their cover?

I was hoping for something fun like Attack of the Crab Monsters, however this is part of the 1955 Republic serial Panther Girl of the Kongo where angry crayfish are on the prowl.

Doug

That would be spectacular with a cold beer harborside on the Maine coast!

I have a couple of films that are really overlength for a 200 foot reel, but I put up with them that way because of box art.

Comment

Almost all the titles in Ken Films' American International collection would qualify, since the cover art (and posters) promised scantily clad beauties trying to escape danger. Unfortunately, the actresses in "It Conquered the World," "Screaming Skull," "I Was a Teenage Frankenstein," "The Undead," and "Night of the Blood Beast" must have skipped over the script direction to "disrobe!"

Comment

Carter,

Thanks for bringing up Night of the Blood Beast. Ken used the artwork from Beast of Blood, so I thought I was getting that film.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Night of Blood Beast Cover 52820.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	10611

Years later I did end up with both the 400' digest and the 4x400' abridgement of that Filipino horror film.

Doug

Comment

That’s a fantastic cover. If you were into horror, why wouldn’t you buy that film?! Brilliant.

Comment

The art on both are certainly tempting to me!

Comment

Thanks Doug, for posting the cover art for "Night of the Blood Beast." I purchased both this title and "It Conquered the World" in 200' b&w sound in the Sears camera department I believe in 1976. I thought I had gotten the bargain of the year, since both titles were priced $6.95 instead of $15.95 or so for sound editions. When I politely mentioned this to the salesclerk, she couldn't understand that I was trying to tell her that the prices should be higher. When she told me that I HAD to pay the price that was marked, I thought for a second about what a steal it was, and said yes!, anything to support Sears! Now, years later, I feel guilty because I probably am the sole reason the company is struggling!

Comment

Hi guys!....LOL... I love this thread. But... I have to say none of the covers so far would inspire me to buy the films. It's obvious the art is geared to the stereotypical male spectrum of buyers and from your reactions...looks like it worked

Comment

Janice, not only are you highly intelligent, extremely knowledgeable regarding film subjects, but very perceptive as well! American International, Inc. often gained funding for their films just by creating a title (like "I Was A Teenage Werewolf") and a poster! Forget the script, the poster is what sold the project.

Comment

Similar with Hammer, they would sell a film to a US distributor before production on the strength of the title and poster.

Comment

On the subject of amazing box art, I don't know if these have been talked about before but they look like the answer to the dreams of owning the boxes to classic 200ft horror films and no disappointment with the content because there isn't any content!

I'm really tempted to get these but because of shipping and taxes for imports to the UK, they would cost around £55.00. For buyers in the USA it only comes to $37.95, so a huge difference in price. Still very tempted though. They would look great mounted with say 12 or 16 covers per picture frame.

'Scary Monsters Magazine' sell the separate sets on their website but these are all three sets for a better price.

Here's the link for the US pricing:
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-Box...1&isGTR=1#shId

Here's the link for the UK pricing:
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monster-B...s/333485120277

Comment

Janice,

I agree with your reasoning, but maybe I'm just getting old! I looked at Doug's cover art and all I can think of is melted butter and a big bowl of clam chowder first!

It's not the first time, either. I was on a business trip a few years ago and we all went out to lunch. It was this military themed place and the "soldiers" were all about 19 years old in tiny, tiny uniforms!

I looked at them and I kept wanting to ask "Do your parents know you are here?" (This may just be the Dad in me!)

Comment

Steve,

So do you think of calamari when you see this cover?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20,000 Leagues - Piccolo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.9 KB ID:	10626

Gary,

Timothy Ramzyk is the gentleman that did the Monster Box series. Here's an old thread of his from when he announced the release of the third set.

Doug

Comment

Calamari!

(mit Spätzle!)

Comment

Thanks Doug. Looking at that thread, if Shorty says they are superb, that's got to be a good recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                              X