No announcement yet.

HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE Bolex/Eumig sound projector lamp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As promised a short clip of the EUMIG HID projecting some Standard 8 sound film. The film itself is around 50 years old and was the first STD 8 compilation reel Derann did having trailers, adverts and a news reel all on one spool. The filming is a bit limited as I'm struggling with the chest injury but I think you will get an idea of the extra performance from the conversion.
    https://youtu.be/nKbHTceG4F0

Looking back to the 1970's when I looked over the Xenon Eumig prototype on display at a photo/cine show I do think its nice to see the humble Eumig get the illumination lift and perhaps I'll get the opportunity at some point to project the same film on both a GS1200 Elmo HID and EUMIG HID side by side one day for a fun comparison.

Comment

Thanks, Lee ! Good way to start the day 🤪 I wish you a speedy recouvert.

Comment

📣Thank you Dom.

Had a nice STD 8 show last night running some of my vintage Standard 8 purchases from when we had the demise of STD 8 sound film releases and a number of sale clearances were underway.
        PM Films were clearing many titles at around half price back then and this young man ordered a carrier bag of films to project on the Eumig.
        Very fond memories..

Click image for larger version

Name:	a pm.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	15226

Comment

A final update..
          Well its had many hours soak testing and all good news please to report.

Just completed a final update fitting a permanent scope bracket to the front side which was fiddly in a small confined space but managed to drill the case and fit the bracket re sprayed satin to match the projector colours and I've done throughout keeping it neat. The bracket was adapted of course and will swing up out of the way if needed for standard projection.
          All in all that is about as far as I can go and need to really but what a difference it has made to shows particularly Std 8mm. It is quite wonderful to view some of my early film efforts from the 1970's at a level of projection we could never have dreamed of along with more recent films on 100D and 64T.

We watched Raise the Titanic to do a final test of the Scope projection and it was really very enjoyable ending the show with a Super 8 film we made when visiting the locations the feature film was filmed around.

The final reel...

Name:	HID Eumig 1 L Mannering 2020.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	15830

And not to forget the original Xenon Super Lux 850 that inspired my project.

Name:	eumig_850 Superlux.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	15831

Comment

Very impressive Lee, I wish I had one!

Comment

Impressive how things have improved over the years and you no longer need that massive power supply the 850 Lux needed. I'm sure your version is a much more friendly one to use Lee.

Comment

Yes it is certainly a new dawn for 8mm with the excellent improvement in illumination, on screen contrast and crispness of projected images with good films obviously. My life has been full of Eumig the light weight dual gauge sound projector and great fun over the years learning much from the old hands of the 70's with the 1960's versions. I do now have a little conundrum to deal with as my Eumig sits next to my loved Elmo GS1200 in the home Kinema and the HID way outshines the GS X3 so it is looking like I'm going to convert a GS1200 to HID now.
                I've converted two other Eumigs to HID for film friends and two more to do then I'll have a go at my own GS1200.

PS Can I just mention to anyone contemplating any sort of electrical work on cine projectors please be very careful, seek professional help if un qualified. Stay safe as they say.

The first HID Eumig scope show here Click image for larger version

Name:	E1LM.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	15872

Comment

Working...
                X