Help with Extend-A-Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Extend-A-Reel

I picked up an Extend-A-Reel years back but have never used it because I'm not sure how to operate it correctly. The unit that I have is model 1600A. I think this one clamps to the top of the projector. Do I start the projector first, then turn on the unit or vise versa ? Can anyone help me with this. Thanks.

Michael

I have never seen one of these although from previous Forum posts it uses unusual spools, ex 16mm reduced in width to 8mm and with square centre holes.

Years ago I used 35mm long play units in a cinema. The unit was switched on first for tension on the film, then the projector was started. As the show proceeded the feed and take-up speed controls were adjusted for correct film tension.

However, in the mini cinema we used a xenon 16mm Eiki. This did not have the Eiki long play unit but an unknown make which had a variable speed motor for the 6000ft take up spools. Operation here was different. We switched on the motor first but held back the spool by hand, then switched on the projector, and carefully holding the rim of the spool let it gain momentum until all film was taking up correctly. Otherwise the film would just break on the initial surge.

With your unit I suggest you practice with some old film to see how it works.

Good luck.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks Maurice for the reply. I would think that you would start the projector first and then the Extend-A-Reel. What I'm worried about is doing some damage to the projector and of course to the print. Also there is a tension roller that is placed on the take-up spindle on the projector. I'm sure it's a very easy procedure, I just don't want to screw anything up, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Michael

This is why I suggested that you practice with some old film. Perhaps just some old leader that won't be a disaster if you tear and break the film.

Why not just switch on the unit with its spools, but no film, just to see how it works.

See how the feed spool operates, perhaps it goes backwards to give tension. If it does, this should be operated before the projector.

Similarly, if the take-up has a slipping clutch, this should also be started before the projector.

Maurice

Comment

I found the thread on the former forum but there is no instruction : http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=001285

Comment

Thanks Dominique. Still hoping there's a collector out there who as and uses one and can give me the instructions on the unit.

Comment

I wonder why the conceptor decided to use a non standard spool system with a 16 mm square hole. The benefit of using cheaper 16 mm spools to convert them to 8 mm is cancelled by the fact those spools are useless without the "extend a reel" unit and the unit is useless for the common super 8 spools. I have two spools (600m/2000 ft) like that and I keep them as a souvenir. When the film I bought came, I had to respool it on two other large spools, which made the purchase less interesting since I had to sacrifice two large spools from my little stock.

Good luck with your machine, Michael, I hope you will find out how things work. I have a Spondon Long Play Unit, all I can say is that, on that machine, you must first run the projector, otherwise the film is (logically) broken by the tension of the take up spool. Of course, if you want to stop your projector before all the film has passed completely throug it, you must first stop the LPU. As Maurice suggested, it would be wise to train with a leader or an aleady damaged film.

Comment

I for one would love to see pictures of this device running perhaps you could do a video post it publicly on YouTube and share the link with us

Comment

Working...
                X