No announcement yet.

Eumig 905 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark, I find it hard to believe that Eumig's design engineer's, the same people who had designed the previous brilliant 800 series machines, were enthusiastic about the 900 series coaxial reel design. No I think what happened, as you alluded to, was the pressure of marketing forces to come up with something novel and different. One thing for sure, had Eumig retained a top feed sprocket the coaxial reel design would not have been nearly as objectionable, at least the film would have been running smoothly, free of the feed spool thrashing and jerking which typifies these machines.

Comment

Also keep in mind that the coaxial drive was ideal for the RS3000 projector for which i think it was initially designed. on conventional projectors without a screen it is a weird thing indeed but they made the 932 and 936 with the older style arms. i do have six 900's without screen and two RS3000's and they all work fine. the biggest issues i have found is a non working amplifier because of the record/play switch being dirty. sometime it works again by pushing the record buttin several times to scratch it clean and sometimes you have to disassemble and clean it by hand. (i have made a tutorial about this). as for quality, yes the P's, the mark series and the 5, 6, 7, and 800 series all were good quality and that went south when the 900 and rs3000 appeared. they have all sorts of weird complex parts and needed to be made cheaper because video was on the rise killing film fast

Comment

I've learned a lot from this thread regarding the pros and cons regarding the coaxial system and the obvious need for at least a top feed sprocket. Does anybody have any info about films being damaged by this system especially with regards to soundtracks and the film literally being pulled from the gate or below by the bottom sprocket.

Comment

Allan. I had a 926GL for many years, ran a lot of film through it, and it never damaged a single frame of film. That's one constant thing about all Eumig's - they don't scratch film. I think you will be quite safe running your projector, but do make sure that the whole film path is spotlessly clean. That particularly applies to the tiny rollers at the entrance point. Pull off the little transparent plastic cover and give those rollers, and the whole tortuous film path at this point, a wipe with a q-tip and furniture polish. Polish all these areas to a high shine. Same thing for the gate and film path up to the take up reel. If you can, limit each reel of film to no more than 400ft max, even though the projector will take 600ft reels. For small reels up to 200ft you should have no problems at all. The jerkiness of the film only happens towards the end of the larger 400ft and 600ft reels.

Comment

Yes, I've often thought it may be a soft of resonance effect between the sprung guide at the top and the resistance of the feed spool. Next time I have the 926GL out I'll do some experiments.

Comment

Many years ago I modified my 926GL to include two 'isolation' rollers fixed on top of the lamphouse cover. This effectively kills the large amplitude flapping of the film from the feed spool and results in a smoother and quieter operation. The only disadvantage was thet you could no longer use the projector to rewind the film because these extra rollers got in the way. See my post in the old forum:

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...=012872#000000

Comment

Finally I picked up the 905 GL. Cosmetically its in excellent condition but will point out initial drawbacks.
                1. A small envelope was included by the seller (rather donator) which included a round plastic knob. This subsequently was found to be the elevator knob at the front of the projector base (no big deal).

2. It was already supplied with a 600ft take up spool which fitted as required onto the spindle. Due to the longer spindle due to the coaxial arrangement I attached a 50ft home movie to the outer feed. Obviously the reel wouldn't fit because of maybe a missing part (just wobbling around). I think it may just be an adaptor .

3. The machine itself comes on and runs as normal (no extraenious noises and the visual display lights are fine).

4. The machine is switched on from the side switch and the speaker clicks on OK.

5. I will not insert the film into the loading channel because it suns freely on the outer spindle

6. On the side control panel there is a black lever next to the focus knob. If you press it down it seems to do nothing. If you take the side cover of you can see that its spring loaded and seems to push a plastic piece downwards for what reason I haven't a clue.

7.All the advice so far about this projector is right. Eumig really went tits-up on this but I won't be beaten. Does somebody please have a projection manual to download ?

Comment

2. Yes it is just a missing adapter any Super 8 reel to Standard 8 one will fit the bill. It has to be like that so that the take-up spool can be taken off to put the projector away.

Comment

The black lever below the focus knob is to reset the bottom film loop if necessary due to loss of loop. If the film jitters up and down during projection, push down on this lever for about one second to reset the bottom film loop.

Comment

Also no film trimmer at the top of the projector (none that is obvious).

Comment

My 903 has one there, but it looks as if it was supplied loose in the box with an adhesive pad attached so the buyer could put in wherever they thought suitable for them. Maybe the first owner didn't stick it on.
                        Last edited by Brian Fretwell; November 02, 2020, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Can anybody possibly supply an instruction manual for this projector. It would help a great deal. And also suppliers of the standard to super 8 adaptors for the feed spindle. Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Allan
                            Van Eck Video Services can provide a PDF file for instructions for your projector.
                            https://shop.van-eck.net/MA-2061.html
                            Also, here is an eBay link for the adapter.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254627847845

Maurice

Comment

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Helps a lot. Determined to get this piece of kit (yes, I did say kit) up and running.

Comment

Quick question about the Eumig 905. How many drive belts does this model have (take up spool at the rear refuses to turn).

Comment

Working...
                                X