No announcement yet.

New guy with some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very exciting day!! I finally got my memory sticks back for the first films I recorded. It took forever to get them developed and returned. I have the new (100D) film waiting to go but I was waiting to see what the results of the stuff I shot were like before I shot any new film.

My kids were so excited to see the film that I shot of them, and it turned out really good. Well I don't have anything to compare it to but it looks good to me. Even the indoor film looks good, I shot it with the sun coming in through the window.

So far I'm happy with the results....

Now I need to shoot with the new film, I should be able to shoot outside so light shouldn't be a problem....

Comment

If you get a chance, we'd love to see a YouTube video of how they came out!

Comment

Pearse have you already shot the 100D? Curious did you use my method of opening the aperture one full stop? If you were careful with exposure I'm sure your results will look good projected. Getting the film back and watching it on the screen is a thrill! The kids will love it! Sure it's convenient to watch a digital version but the projected film is so much better and sharper!

Comment

I haven't shot the 100D yet. I've been waiting to get the first two rolls developed to make sure that the camera is working properly.

It seems to be working, except that the display through the viewfinder shows that the film has reached the end all the time, so I can't tell when the film is actually over. I used the counter, but I think my reading of the counter was well past where the real end of the film was. Perhaps I need to revisit that section of the instruction manual.

So now that I'm ready to shoot the 100D: the manual tells me about focusing (I use automatic so far), and exposure control. But it says "The camera comes with the TTL, EE automatic exposure control system which automatically adjusts the lens aperture thereby allowing you to concentrate fully on frame composition."

Comment

Originally posted by Pearse Lambert View Post
            I haven't shot the 100D yet. I've been waiting to get the first two rolls developed to make sure that the camera is working properly.

It seems to be working, except that the display through the viewfinder shows that the film has reached the end all the time, so I can't tell when the film is actually over. I used the counter, but I think my reading of the counter was well past where the real end of the film was. Perhaps I need to revisit that section of the instruction manual.

So now that I'm ready to shoot the 100D: the manual tells me about focusing (I use automatic so far), and exposure control. But it says "The camera comes with the TTL, EE automatic exposure control system which automatically adjusts the lens aperture thereby allowing you to concentrate fully on frame composition."
            This camera is a focus free design. You can set the lens value to say 5-10mm and just shoot. Now remember the Ektachrome 100D will not expose at the box speed of 100 ASA in this camera. The camera will think the film is 160 ASA which will underexpose the film. So what you need to do while filming is the following: When the camera registers an F-stop, say F-16, turn the aperture dial from automatic to the manual setting. You need 1 stop more light in order to expose 100D properly. So you would adjust say an f-stop reading from 16 to 11. This will allow more light to reach the film. One stop will give you the proper exposure. This new stock needs more light as is so you will be exposing at 80 ASA with one stop more light. My Minolta Autopak 8 D6 works this way. The camera thinks the film is 160. When I increase the aperture by one stop I get perfect exposure on film. All 160 ASA only cameras will expose this way. But as mentioned this stock needs that extra light! I've shot enough of this new stock to understand how it reacts to light.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
              If you get a chance, we'd love to see a YouTube video of how they came out!
              Sure, I'll put some up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post

This camera is a focus free design. You can set the lens value to say 5-10mm and just shoot. Now remember the Ektachrome 100D will not expose at the box speed of 100 ASA in this camera. The camera will think the film is 160 ASA which will underexpose the film. So what you need to do while filming is the following: When the camera registers an F-stop, say F-16, turn the aperture dial from automatic to the manual setting. You need 1 stop more light in order to expose 100D properly. So you would adjust say an f-stop reading from 16 to 11. This will allow more light to reach the film. One stop will give you the proper exposure. This new stock needs more light as is so you will be exposing at 80 ASA with one stop more light. My Minolta Autopak 8 D6 works this way. The camera thinks the film is 160. When I increase the aperture by one stop I get perfect exposure on film. All 160 ASA only cameras will expose this way. But as mentioned this stock needs that extra light! I've shot enough of this new stock to understand how it reacts to light.
                Thanks for the advice Shane! I'll give this a try. I'll have to learn to use this camera properly...

It's really hard waiting for the film to get developed. In this digital age that's been the part that's hard to get used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearse Lambert View Post

Thanks for the advice Shane! I'll give this a try. I'll have to learn to use this camera properly...

It's really hard waiting for the film to get developed. In this digital age that's been the part that's hard to get used to.
                  Shooting Super 8 and then waiting for the film to return is a lesson in patience LOL. But when it arrives in the mail it's very exciting. The first thing I do is unwrap the film and hold it up to the light. I like to see right away if there is an image and how it exposed. Then of course the real treat is watching it on the big screen.

Comment

Here is one of the films I shot.

Comment

Looks good, no exposure trouble that I can see.

Comment

Very nice Pearse! The transfer looks really good! And you used good steady filming which helps make this enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear the positive comments, it looks good to me but I'm no expert! It looks better to me than i was expecting actually, I was really happy to see the results.

I've got the kids writing scripts for movies...

Comment

Working...
                          X