Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing and splicing super 8

Hi,

Newbie with super 8, I've just finished shooting some super 8 and received the reversal roll back. I want to start splicing, direct animating and learning how to edit by hand, are there any tips places or sources to learn about this. I recently looked up cement film to glue the film together but wanted to know if the cement works on the latest ektachrome reversal and tri-x being sold. I read somewhere that it's a polyester material now so not sure if it will work using the cine film cement.

sorry for going on but I also got the braun fk1 editor but not sure if there a pdf manual out there for using it. Thinking of getting the minette df splicer for super 8 and 16mm for editing in the future.

Would love to hear any of your thoughts and experiences with editing by hand.

Thanks

The new Ektachrome, and Tri-X are acetate-based films. Film cement is fine but I have found that super glue actually works better and is stronger when splicing films together. I've used this method for years, and the splices are holding up like new. I never was able to get film cement to work properly. I'd project the same movie a few times, and have the splices come loose during projection, which is a mess! This may be a bit unorthodox but when done properly the splices are rock solid. I use a film splicer that provides good clean splices, and makes it easier for gluing the films together. My trick is using a toothpick to spread the glue onto the splice area. You have to be careful not to use to much super glue just enough to coat the entire length of the splice. Once you do that and clamp the two spliced films together, a few minutes later the splice is solid and won't come undone. Also another important step is scrapping enough emulsion off the film base. This will provide a good clean surface for the super glue to attach too. Once you've done a few films it's an easy process. Again the proper equipment helps in this regard.

Comment

Thanks Shane,

this is really helpful

Comment

Daniel Owusu Welcome to the forum and here are a couple spicing videos I have made:

Comment

Just a note on film cement. You must always use "fresh" cement. If the cement has gotten old the splices will not last. Make every effort to keep your cement from evaporating (this is what kills it eventually). I use cement splices almost always now and I have many films I spliced with cement back in the 1970's and 80's without a failure. The new formula Kodak film cement works great. There used to be other excellent film cements for sale but I would not trust an old bottle of cement from decades past.

Comment

Daniel
            It is much more convenient to use splicing tape/s. This will avoid the problem of whether cement is usable, and as mentioned, cement doesn't have a very long life once initially opened.
            Super 8 Splicing tape x 50 Splicing tabs Film joining splicing tape (UK Stock) 5055290635000 | eBay

Maurice

Comment

Daniel. Treat yourself the the BONUM TAPE SPLICER
              It uses tape patches to tape your film together and long lasting. Had mine for at least 40 years and carry it with me when out projecting films.
              The favourite with film makers was the Wurker splicer also tape which makes near invisible joins 4 or 2 frames.
              Good luck

Comment

Daniel
                This is one which I can recommend. I have one of these which takes tape patches. It's a great price and post free.
                You can't go wrong.
                LPL Super 8 S8PT Patch Tape Splicer | eBay

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                  Daniel Owusu Welcome to the forum and here are a couple spicing videos I have made:

Thanks Janice for these wonderful videos! They're very helpful! Can't wait to start editing. Will keep you updated on how it all goes.

Comment

Originally posted by David M. Leugers View Post
                    Just a note on film cement. You must always use "fresh" cement. If the cement has gotten old the splices will not last. Make every effort to keep your cement from evaporating (this is what kills it eventually). I use cement splices almost always now and I have many films I spliced with cement back in the 1970's and 80's without a failure. The new formula Kodak film cement works great. There used to be other excellent film cements for sale but I would not trust an old bottle of cement from decades past.
                    thanks for this David! very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                      Daniel. Treat yourself the the BONUM TAPE SPLICER
                      It uses tape patches to tape your film together and long lasting. Had mine for at least 40 years and carry it with me when out projecting films.
                      The favourite with film makers was the Wurker splicer also tape which makes near invisible joins 4 or 2 frames.
                      Good luck
                      Thanks Lee these look awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                        Daniel
                        This is one which I can recommend. I have one of these which takes tape patches. It's a great price and post free.
                        You can't go wrong.
                        LPL Super 8 S8PT Patch Tape Splicer | eBay

Maurice
                        Thanks David! I'll look into these. I think I'm leaning more toward tape at the moment so I'll get these.

Comment

One thing I also wanted to find out is if anyone uses lightboxes when editing by hand. For example if you were painting onto the film with indian ink or scratching onto it. I'm tempted to get a lightbox or an overhead projector for painting on the film with.

Comment

Working...
                          X