Changeovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeovers

Does anybody do changeovers during shows in 8mm? I know many of us do so in 16 and 35 but I wonder about Super ( or, for that matter) Standard 8. If so, what are your experiences?

I do my best, but it would be much easier if I had either one left-handed projector or two right hands!

(-suppose I could get my son to tag-team it with me!)

We're also kind of big on things like intermissions and even meal breaks between reels.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121_ToshibaTabletop_January 2nd.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	2810

Comment

Nice.
        How do you cue the second machine up? Do you use the leader countdown?

Comment

I go way more primitive than that!

-basically I try as much as possible to have the opening frame of the new reel in the second machine's gate when I operate the switches.

If I'm alone when I do a changeover I look down at the moment of truth and pretend I got it perfect! (-What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!)

I suppose I could make some sort of system to do this automatically, but I have so many projects now! There are the ones I get paid for, then the ones to keep the house habitable, then come my hobbies...

One of the jobs of the mixer is fading between machines during a changeover: both machines get normal volume before the change, and the empty machine gets cut off before the end of reel warning comes through the speakers.

Comment

The RIGHTWAY to do it is below.

What I have written and illustrated basically prepares your super eight print to do changeovers as good as if not better than the theaters

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubbpic...hangeovers.pdf

with all due respect to those trying to do changeovers I do not agree with running the film down the first picture just before the aperture plate because most super eight sound projectors have to form the loops and initial forward mode which takes a lot of surge to obtain and keep the momentum going to loops have to sit and be relaxed for perfect projection to be obtained

This is why when you thread up a number eight in the top sprocket and you kick it in to forward mode on the first cue mark Everything is settled down by the time the second mark hits the screen and you actually do picture and sound

some of you may think I've gone overboard in developing changeovers for the smaller gauge films but really I haven't when you try it and you see how good it works you will never run a regular super eight projector the regular way again for a full length presentation

I spent 34 years in the 35 mm and analog projection booth half of my time was doing changeovers suffice to say I am experienced

Comment

For 16mm, threading 8 in the gate works well. However, not all 8mm prints even have accurate cue marks, due to editing. So, I guess, as Steve suggests, a bit of guesswork may have to be involved. Plus, there is also possible changeovers from digest to digest, for instance, where accurate cues would not be present
              I shall look at that thread you linked to, Chip. Thanks.

Comment

What I wonder about is the Beep at "3": if the volume is up on both machines and the lamp is out on #2 but the transport is running right before you trade lit lamps, that Beep will come through the speakers.

I could trade volume settings at the same time I trade lit lamps, but with my setup, I am now up to needing four hands!

(I need to get my kid away from his cellphone and try this!)

Comment

Rather than a mixer you should run sound through an a/v selector and from there go in to the receiver . A decent selector found on Ebay is the JVC-300. Try to find one with a remote and switching between projectors is instant.

also consider long black tails spliced in after the last projected picture frame - after the second of two cue marks. When everything is set it kind of goes like this

3 minutes before the 1st cue
                  turn on the 2nd projector fan only mode

wait for first cue
                  remote for sound changeover in one hand
                  aimed at the selector (JVC)

on 1st cue start motor with number 8
                  in top sprocket

on 2nd cue turn on the lamp
                  and at the same time press the remote
                  button for projector sound via JVC

As you do the above at the same time
                  the long black tail is now through the gate
                  as you reach around and shut down the lamp
                  of the ending first reel

the idea here is a double exposure
                  one machine projecting dark black
                  the other fresh picture

and from the start if cue one

all of the above is a mere 6 seconds

the above steps written with the
                  st 1200 as example

this works very good and is not complicated

more info is in the document linked previously

Comment

Not to change the subject

CINESUN is being planned

one part of that will be a super 8 clinic

at my home whereas I will teach anyone who wants to
                    learn the approach to all of this

You don't need CINESUN for that either

visit Tampa area and I am happy to schedule a one on one with anybody anytime

just hit me up

Comment

Interesting idea, Chip.
                      I guess one could make a cue mark if they don’t already exist, though it would be difficult with such a small frame.

Comment

1) For doing a public show of a feature film, use a changeover or a long-play attachment. Keep the projector/s well away from the audience.
                        2) For home shows why bother?

For many years I was a member of the Bristol Film Unit giving 16mm shows in old peoples' homes using the Unit's Slimline Elf. We always had an interval, during this time the Warden would supply drinks and sandwiches. Our monthly shows (films from Filmbank) were always well awaited and were a means for all the residents to meet together. The interval would allow rewinding and lacing of the next part.

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Michael O’Regan View Post
                          Interesting idea, Chip.
                          I guess one could make a cue mark if they don’t already exist, though it would be difficult with such a small frame.
                          Yes you can make cues

no it's not difficult

read the linked document...It's all there

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                            2) For home shows why bother?

Maurice
                            Fair point, Maurice. I reckon most of us don’t bother for home shows on 8mm, or 16mm for that matter. I just wondered if some did.
                            I don’t mind an interval, as such, but a break every 20 mins or so (depending on your machines capacity), I find a bit much.

Comment

I agree with you, Michael, as regards running a multi-reel Super 8 film. However, should I need a complete run I could always use one of my following:-
                              Fumeo 9119
                              Beaulieu 708 EL Capstan Drive Twin Track
                              Beaulieu 708 EL Capstan Drive Stereo

For a 16mm show I could always use my Bell & Howell change-over unit.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
                              X