What is best paint for a screen on a wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best paint for a screen on a wall

I have set up a small cinema with the picture projecting onto a wall. Does anyone have experience of which is the best paint to use for the screen on the wall. I am going to use white paint but wondered if some of the expensive alternative paints make that much difference?

Tim
    You don't say where you live.
    In the UK "Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt Emulsion" is an ideal paint for movie projection on walls.
    Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt Emulsion Paint 5L | Wilko

Comment

Unless your wall is perfectly smooth you will have to use a flat white paint. Any paint that is satin or gloss will highlight every rough feature of the wall as a "hot spot" and this will look terrible. If your wall is not totally smooth flat white paint will work fine.
      In the USA I have found Sherwin Williams ULTRA WHITE flat paint to be as good as a matt white screen with a gain of 1.0
      Steve Osbourne at The Reel Image sells special screen wall paint. I have not tried Steve's paint and I do not know if it has a gain greater than 1.0, but I suspect it does in order to increase screen brightness over a matt white surface. But if Steve is selling it then it is probably an excellent paint. Just be aware though that any paint with a gain greater than 1.0 absolutely requires a totally smooth wall surface, otherwise you will see hot spots all over the place.

Comment

Dulux Ultra white matt is by far the best to paint your own screen. it reflects light back giving you a brighter picture. much better than standard white matt emulsion.

Comment

First I would recommend buying a roll of photographic background paper. It is like a 2 meter wide roll of white wall paper. This is great to cover your screening wall with.
          Then proper self adhesive black felt screen masking tape is an absolute must for the screen boarders & tabs.

Alternatively Iinstead of white paint there are grey screen paints.

I have "Grey level 2 screen paint" painted on my screen as this really improved the black levels & overall picture quality when calibrating my video projector.
          Not so good with standard halogen super 8 projectors, but with brighter super 8 machines, (especially the HID150) & standard lamp 16mm 250w all look good. Certain prints benifit very well indeed. The grey screen helps to kill the red in red prints & faded prints have more contrast than on a white screen. Of course as my cineroom is in the basement there is total blackout from any light & with a black ceiling, dark walls & a short throw, this makes the use of a grey screen possible.

Comment

Yes the IMAX at Bradford has a grey screen, I suspect with its size contrast is the reason.

Comment

Years ago I used the paint from The Reel Image that Paul Adsett mentioned. I found that it gave me a very bright picture. If you scroll halfway down on the website, you'll see the ad.

Comment

I also use a vintage grey projector screen from the 60's. A Daylight Flyer! I have to say the colors, contrast, and sharpness of my color and black and white films seem to be improved. When I projected onto a white screen the details seemed to be lost. I project with a Honeywell Elmo FP8-C using a 150 watt bulb and fitted with a Bolex "hifi" prime 15mm 1.3 projector lens.

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies. I will have a look at all the possible solutions and then go for one of them. Once again many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                    Years ago I used the paint from The Reel Image that Paul Adsett mentioned. I found that it gave me a very bright picture. If you scroll halfway down on the website, you'll see the ad.
                    I looked into this. There doesn't seem to be a way to ORDER anything on this website - I sent an email inquiry but have not heard back. Am I doing something wrong or not seeing something obvious?

thanks.

Comment

Philip
                      Have a look at the top section on the attached link. It is suggested you contact "The Reel Image" before you buy to ascertain correct pricing and availability.

The Reel Image Web Showroom of Quality Cine Products!... - The Reel Image (jimdofree.com)

Comment

Yes I did but hand't gotten a response in a few days. Steve got back to me today to let me know he has been out of pocket for about 6 days. So I will work then directly with him. I just wanted to be sure this was the correct way. Thanks Maurice !!

Comment

Its good stuff Phil 😎

Comment

I'm glad to have helped you, Philip.
                            Good luck with your proposed purchase.

Comment

Working...
                            X