Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correction: HID conversion kit for Elmo GS-1200/ST-1200 available from The Reel Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction: HID conversion kit for Elmo GS-1200/ST-1200 available from The Reel Image

Moderator's note (May 5, 2021): The topic title has been corrected. An explanation can be found in post #17.

Steve Osborne asked me to mention that The Reel Image is now offering a do it yourself HID kit with everything you need to do the conversion for $225 plus cost of the lamp.

Doug
    I looked at Steve's pages but couldn't find any reference to the conversion kit, although I see he is offering the Xenpow HID lamp.

Comment

Maurice,

We'll have to get Steve to update his site.

Comment

Quite a bit more to do than just putting a lamp in to get the best from it. Takes me around 4 days to do the whole conversion I came up with on the teeny machine.
        It would be a mistake to sell some sort of kit when dealing with what could be killer electrics.
        Please be very careful if you decide to attempt any electrical conversion on any machine particularly using high voltage.

Comment

Especially as he is advertising the lamp as 150 volt not 150 Watt. It's is actually 95 volt when running and much more when striking.

Comment

For those who are electronically inclined and are willing to tackle the conversion this is a nice option that includes the major components. Because each projector is different, it is impossible to offer a kit with everything for every conversion.
            "The Reel Image" kit includes , 150 watt Xenpow lamp, all in one ballast/starter, project box, power cable, on/off switch, rubber feet for project box,spool of wire...etc. The Xenpow lamp was chosen due to it fits the stock lamp holder in most of our S8 & 16mm projectors. For the selling price it is a very good value.

Comment

That sounds good but I still can't find it on the site to comment. Can you give a link to the kit?

Comment

[QUOTE=Douglas Meltzer:....for $225 plus cost of the lamp...... [/QUOTE]

Doug said the kit does not include the cost of the lamp, this is quoted as US $65.

Comment

Sounds good Alan in the sense the kit could be used not just for Eumig but other projectors as well.

I would like to see more details regarding those that have done HID conversions photos/ possible you-tube video, that kind of thing. So far I am not convinced to go down the HID path. The main reason so far, as the photos folk have taken around the internet, show I think a excess of brightness that appears to wash out the image to a certain extent, ie say a black and white image, where the blacks are no longer black as the brightness is to much.

For years I used to think you could never get enough light for Super 8, but I am starting to think, you can have to much brightness using the HID lamp. Its a bit like turning up the brightness on a TV or VP. There is a point that is just right, going past that point and the quality of the image you are watching goes down hill.

For me conversion to HID has to be not just about how bright the lamp is, but what effect it has on the film image quality wise.

I did come across a 12v 150watt ballast that has a brightness adjustment on it, by simply turning a knob on it either way . I felt that was a good idea over a fixed unit, however that was 12 volt not 24.

I will keep an open mind regarding HID conversions but at present I don't think I will go down that path, but I do look forward to seeing others take on that challenge

Comment

These lamps are 95v Graham (unless you mean the ballast runs from 12 as for HID car headlights). I have seen one running at the Big Screen Scene revival and it did not look over bright there with good black levels. The screen was not BFCC size.

Comment

Thanks Brian

So what you are saying, is that the lamp used is 95 volt 150 watt is that a constant after it strikes?. I think the ballast I was thinking about was for car use.

I would be great if someone here could provide specifications regarding the parts used in the conversion?

Any idea the size of the screen Brian? I understand the lamp needs time to warm up, plus modification has to be done to the projector itself, as the lamp needs to stay on most of the time.

Details please folks

Comment

It was a roller screen fitted for digital projection in a primary school hall I can't remember if the picture filled the screen. Unfortunately the event was cancelled last year, but here's a photo from an earlier event

The ballast that was recommended in an earlier post is rater 150w 1.8A. It looks as if the strike voltage is around 5kV max. It seems to have gone from the shop's site now though. The lamp is rated 150w 95v and colour temperature of 6500C.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Around 1:36 & 5:00 shows the projector in action.

https://youtu.be/hRsFdovn6Ig

Comment

The video at the 3.00 point shows my GS1200 converted to HID by Bill Parsons and was delivered back to me on the very day the video was shot. The trailer being shown was E. T. The picture is not too bright, even when used with a short throw at home. The conversion, typical of Bill's work, is flawless and really is worth the effort. Not quite as good as a real GS1200 Xenon, but still excellent. The lamp runs cooler than the normal halogen lamp, so there is no need at all for extra cooling, though the fan was adjusted by Bill to run at full speed at all times. I supplied the parts (as directed by Bill) and he fitted them. The ballast (back in 2018) was £35-40 with the lamp at about £60.

Other HID footage is of Mark Norton's GS1200, which used the same lamp and also gave a stunning performance on the day.

I also converted an Elf NT1 16mm projector to HID. This is still working well, even though the job was done 6-7 years ago. This machine was used at Blackpool one year and gave a very good performance. Again, no extra cooling needed as the lamp runs cooler than the halogen original lamp. Cost, probably around £90-100 including the lamp.
                            Last edited by Simon McConway; May 04, 2021, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The difference with the original lamp of a projector is that you cannot switch it off each time your film ends. So you need to have the possibility to hide the light (I don't remember the word in English of the added piece that can go down to do that). The advantage of the Eumig is that you can move the shutter so you don't need to add anything to mask the light. The picture is absolutely not "washed out" by an hdi lamp, don't worry.

Comment

Working...
                              X