No announcement yet.

700 or 800 series Eumig service manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick Regan Link working for me too. Thanks!

Comment

Nick, if you need help on reassembly, I'm sure others or myself can help you in that regard. The 700 series, in particular, I know very well indeed.

Personally I think the earliest 700 series (both standard and Super8 dedicated machines) were the best Eumig ever made. Those awesome tube amps with zero hum problems, no plastic, sloppy focusing, sound heads that disengage when the amp is turned off, lamp adjusting levers for maximum light output, zero risk of breaking off claw pins when removing the gate, Sound heads that plug in and out for easy cleaning, lower film loop that can be increased to completely eliminate film chatter on Super8 sound film, ect., ect., ect.. And the best kept secret of all is that very few want them so they remain very cheap to buy!

Comment

Yeah,

I am working on the chaos theory with this one on my shelf, Its not so much putting it back together its more getting it to work properly first . I keep meaning to finish servicing it but just as I am about to sit down with it something else comes in and, like a cat, my concentration says " oooh new shiny thing,

Thanks for offer though, I think I just need to clean the drive wheels to get it to stop winding down and stopping. Watch this space.

Comment

Have a search on this forum to find a solution to the very common Eumig drive disc problem. Some of the solutions I have read have included such items as: Sandpaper, alcohol, white spirit, "platen cleen", belt dressing, "WD40", violin peg dope (my solution), amonia, ect., ...and those are just the ones that I have read over the years.

Basically the drive system is just a modified gear assembly that uses friction instead of gears to drive the unit. When the ball is closest to the inner diameter it runs faster (sound speed) but when it moves closer to the outer edge it runs slower (silent speed). I'm really surprised that some individual hasn't yet modified a Eumig by designing two 3D printed discs as gears, as well as replacing the ball with a gear to mesh with them. In theory it would be the same exact system using gears to replace the current friction method that is in fact behaving already like gears!

Comment

yes except that the motor spins allways when plugged in and the discs are at a standstill. If you replace it with gears, what would happen to them when a fast spinning gear tries to grab into a gear that is at a standstil? and when you engage the gears before putting power on the motor the entire projector probably will not spinup as the motor has no torque and relies on momentum. so the spinning mass is what can start the projector. same goes for the 600 series that have a spring atached between the motor and the pulley, to let the motor gain momentum before it has to put power onto the mechanism. this is a choice eumig made so they could use the maintenance free brushless motors.

To answer the question that started this topic: i have a PDF of the service manual for the Eumig 800 series. I asked the museum in Austria if they could make a scan of it and for a small donation they did. the file is too large to share here but i can send it by mail. you can pm me an emailadress if you want to

Comment

Yea, you are probably right about the torque problem and the fast spinning gear. Anyway, it was just a thought and I still think one day someone is going to come up with a very creative idea to this problem, at least I hope so.

Comment

Maybe a rubber coated wheel on the motor too, which wouldn't loose grip on the discs or polish them.

Comment

Many years ago, when I was working for an aerospace company, a friend of mine asked me if I could fix his Eumig Mark S which was exhibiting the slipping disc problem. Having access to a professional machine shop I was able to 'bootleg' the fabrication of two Butyl B612-70 rubber annular discs 0.032 thick. The discs were cut radially at one point from the ID to the OD so that they could be easily slipped over the existing drive shaft without any disassembly at all, and bonded in place on top of the existing rubber discs which had become very hard. It worked very well, the supple Butyl rubber restoring the Eumig to its original running condition.
                  I would give my Eumig 800's the same treatment, but I no longer have a means of making the discs.

Comment

For those who haven't figured it out, the parts manual (large version) is at:

http://www.panchromatic.co.uk/Mark%2...D%20Partss.pdf

The version in one of the posts has an "s" missing in the link when you click on it.

Comment

Is there a parts manual like this anywhere for the 800 series?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Fales View Post
                        For those who haven't figured it out, the parts manual (large version) is at:

http://www.panchromatic.co.uk/Mark%2...D%20Partss.pdf

The version in one of the posts has an "s" missing in the link when you click on it.

I have sorted that now Tom, manuals are at Manuals (panchromatic.co.uk) , I am sticking more on when I have a spare few mins so its worth checking back every now and then. I haven't seen any for the 800 series but there are numerous service and parts manuals around for the 900 series. Not listed on that site yet though.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                        X