Tool for clip removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool for clip removal

can anyone here point me in the direction for a pair of what i assume, is micro circlip pliers, i need to be able to remove this type of circlip here shown on the large gear. I dont want to botch it with screwdrivers, there must be a particular tool for this. Sorry the image is a bit soft but you can clearly see the clip. I've looked on-line and only appear to be able to find normal circlip pliers which are for the car industry. (the large circlips).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eumig claw arm (18).jpg
Views:	450
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	35906

Tom
    Have a look at these on Amazon. Perhaps you may find something of interest.
    Amazon.co.uk : small circlip pliers

Comment

Blimy Maurice, i searched micro circlip removal tool, but not small, you'd have thought they would have come up, thanks again, these still may be too big but i will give it a go, im not in a hurry to do this job but i dont wish to destroy clips in the process.

Comment

I've had reasonable luck using the tiniest pair of needle-nose pliers I have and applying one jaw to the clip ends and another to the shaft the clip is around and being really careful: with a little luck it gets halfway off and you can ease it the rest of the way by wedging between the shaft and the inside of the jaw.

The best tip of all is to do the work in a small room with a tile floor: parts like these yearn for freedom, and if they escape, they are skilled at hiding!

-same thing for the little half rollers in a Eumig film path: I'm pretty sure there is some weird alternate dimension that is just filled with these!

Comment

One thing I would suggest before you try spreading it, is to try to try to rotate it a bit first with a screw driver, that is, to free it up in its groove, then carefully apply just enough pressure with the circlip pliers, to spread the clip but not to much.

Those type of circlips are really a pain to do, as Steve mentioned set yourself up so if it goes "ping" you will hopefully be able to find it.

I used my old pliers from a long ago time, when I used this stuff, the blue-point came with all types of pins, very handy.

Anyway best of luck, but just be careful you don't wear it if it does go ping, "safety glasses" are a good idea.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190813.JPG Views:	0 Size:	184.7 KB ID:	35937
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190814.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.2 KB ID:	35938
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190818.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	35939
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190815.JPG Views:	0 Size:	210.9 KB ID:	35940
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190816.JPG Views:	0 Size:	182.8 KB ID:	35941
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190817.JPG Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	35942
          Other external pliers, well used over the years, those ones can take the pressure.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190819.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.8 KB ID:	35943
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190820.JPG Views:	0 Size:	174.9 KB ID:	35944

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

I thought I would add to this thread with a picture of the tool I have used. I like that this vise grip tool also has an angle adapter which makes it easier to get into some tight places to remove the c-clip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210608_171100578.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	35987

Comment

I bought a eumig 501 a while back and removed the rear panel to clean and lubricate it and one of these tiny circlips just fell out and i could not work out where it came from.The projector seems to be working fine though.

Comment

Back on this,
                  Is it me or is every pair i have tried just too big?
                  Does anyone know what this type of circlip is called as i will need to replace at least one?
                  It came off eventually but broke in half, could it be replaced with the common e type clips?
                  The set i bought off amazon, even at there tightest closed position is still too big to fit properly into these clips. There has to be a pair of micro circlip pliers that is made for this type of electrical equipment's sizes. Blowed if i can find a pair.

Comment

Grainger's calls it a Standard Retaining Ring... Although I don't see why a c-clip or eclip wouldn't be an alternative.

https://www.grainger.com/product/5DE...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Tom
                      Further to Janice's posting above, have a look at my attachment regarding Retaining Ring Pliers. Perhaps there's something there that can be of use to you.

retaining ring tool products - Grainger Industrial Supply

Comment

the size and shape of these clips are unique to eumig and so you would need a special tool, which does not exist anymore. there may be a pair of pliers that can do the job for these circlips but i still have never found them. all pliers i have are too large. there are workaround as these clips are not seated in a groove and can slide of the axle. so fir instance in a 600 you can gently tap it out (the axle) and then gently tap it back together again with a small and long socket

Comment

Tom, I feel your pain.

I don't know if this will help;

8mm Forum: Beaulieu Take-Up Problem. (film-tech.com)

I basically resorted to a pair of bent end nail clippers.

They did actually work.

Comment

Thanks again to all,
                            Erik, that explains why i cant find these clips for sale anywhere, i was going to resort to the e clips but as you say, if there is no groove for them to sit in, then this may not work.
                            Thanks for that link Rob, i'm suddenly remembering why the Elmo is so much better design, much easier to work on.

Comment

Working...
                            X