Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Blackhwak Films price their releases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Blackhwak Films price their releases?

Hi all,

From many 8mm film companies a long time ago, Blackhawk was the most honest ones in terms of the footage length. All other companies were never telling us what was the actual footage of their releases. Columbia did only put a disclaimer "Films on 400' reels are not less than 320' in length".

But Blackhawk always put the actual footage length in every label coded as FTG XXX (eg. FTG 387 means 387').

I always found in many catalogs these companies put a flat rate based on the reel size, e.g Ken Films, Columbia, Universal priced a 400' color and sound for around $52-54. Marketing Films and UFA put DM 149 for the same reel size. Only Elvis Presley from Ken Films priced a little expensive because each title has 375' length.

So with these various footage length of Blackhawk's releases ranging between 250' to 425' on a 400' reel, how did they price it? Were the prices different depending on the footage length or they did have a flat rate price like other companies?

Would be really great if someone can upload the scan of the most recent Blackhawk's catalog.

Cheers,
    Winbert
    Last edited by Winbert Hutahaean; August 01, 2021, 05:58 PM.

The French company Film Office also often printed the exact length of their films on the boxes.

Comment

Here's a link to a fairly complete Blackhawk Films catalog collection. My experience was that what we'd call one-reelers back in 1973 went for $6.98. Generally these were 175-225 feet. Anything from say, 250-425 feet would be a "two-reeler" (on a 400 foot reel), at $12.98. For any films of greater length, including features, prices were fairly consistent, based on the number of reels. Sound films followed a similar pricing/footage structure.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself....Blackhawk Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
          The French company Film Office also often printed the exact length of their films on the boxes.
          ​
          I never seen that info. Can you provide me a photo which side of the box of Film Office releases?

Comment

Winbert, I don't understand : I already put that picture but it disappeared ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210801_202610.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	39684

Comment

Thank you William for that great link to the USC collection of Blackhawk Catalogues - an amazing compilation going all the way back to the 1930's! I have just had an enjoyable half hour browsing some of their issues, and the number of titles that Blackhawk printed up is just astounding. I will be revisiting this USC site many times!

Comment

Yep, almost all of my Film-Office prints clearly list the footage too, as Dominique said.

Comment

Does the picture appear ?

Comment

Dominique,

I see your picture in post #6. I have also replied to your other post.

Comment

Thanks, Doug.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
                        Does the picture appear ?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210801_202610.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	39684
                        Yes I can see it now.

No wonder I never seen it since my attachment with Film Office is for the cartoon releases especially the Tom & Jerry series and none of them has this info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_063507.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	39713

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                          Thank you William for that great link to the USC collection of Blackhawk Catalogues - an amazing compilation going all the way back to the 1930's! I have just had an enjoyable half hour browsing some of their issues, and the number of titles that Blackhawk printed up is just astounding. I will be revisiting this USC site many times!
                          Happy to share the wealth , Paul. I started getting Blackhawk catalogues in 1973 and was a steady reader throughout high school and college, right to the bitter end when they dropped film entirely and changed to Republic Pictures Home Video.

Comment

Originally posted by William Ferry View Post

..... changed to Republic Pictures Home Video.
                            I have several 8mm film released by Republic Pictures, but I doubt it was printed on video era. They are standard 8mm and from the box it seems to me they are from 1960s or the latest is early 1970s. Any connection this company with Blackhawk?

Comment

Blackhawk did release a number of Republic features, and they tended to be from very good source material. I was quite surprised as to how good "Allegheny Uprising" looked, one of the best black and white super 8 features I have seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X