This new forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This new forum

Is it just me or do other members feel the same? I just don't find this new format/design of the forum as attractive/interesting/enthusiastic as th old format. I can't actually put my finger on the reason, but I don't visit the site regularly now. I used to look forward to reading the topics and comments on a daily basis, but not now because it seems there is nothing much of interest. Shame really because there are definite improvements- so why? Is it the small font size? Your comments please.

Terry....The new format is great, but its really up to the members make an effort to contribute, start a topic, share a photo or video and so on, I notice that there is not a lot happening else where as well, not just here. I remember the days of Derann when it came to the FFTC magazine, they had the same problem in getting people to write in.

Comment

Possibly it is because the index is not so compact and doesn't show as many items per page and you have to scroll down more. So mainly a visual impression.

Comment

I think a lot of it is just change. I can probably give you about 5 reasons this version is better, but the biggest reason the old one was better was familiarity.

For example, The picture capabilities here are much, much better: the picture size and resolution is much higher, and the ease of inserting them is very good. -yet, human nature being what it is, sometimes I kinda miss the ol' 550 Pixel limit! (It was a challenge!)

Every new car I've ever owned, for maybe a month, I didn't like! The headlight switch isn't ever where it's supposed to be, the newer ones the manual is an actual book you really need to read ("Chapter 14: adjusting the front seats"), and our new one seems to want to talk to me! (I'd tell it to shut up, but I don't want it angry at me!)

Don't even get me started on the new Windows! (I only stopped hating the old one maybe two years ago!)

Comment

Yes, after 15 years or more on the old forum this new one takes some getting used to. The old forum feels very comfortable, like Steve's "old shoe" analogy. I like the old forum better visually, for me the new one seems harder to read for whatever reason. And reading PM''s is more of a hassle. But no doubt we will all accomodate to the new format in time, and the much better picture resolution capability is great,

Comment

I'm trying various CSS tricks to make this forum more readable for me but I have visual issues that make the base display font/size/contrast really a challenge to read. I can use the zoom features of my browser to help readability, but that also increases the entire page size which is okay but makes for a lot of "white space." I really appreciate the intent of the administrators and the great people who post stuff in these forums, but in my attempt to write up a longer post wiith included/attached photos, I found the challenge more than I am interested in keeping up on a regular basis. For posts aimed as guides, I lean more towards an external WordPress type site and then just link that to these forums.

EDIT: I'm a tech support analyst by profession and my own web experience dates from the times of hand-roled html/PHP scripting, with hard-coded site formatting, long before CSS was an (amazing) thing. :-)

Comment

On another forum I participate in, maybe a year ago they started a new Forum software with the Poster's name and avatar appear on the RIGHT!

-that's just plain RADICAL!

It pays to remember what brought us here. Last year a couple of times we had a hard crash, and a lot of us wondered whether everything we've ever written here would ever be seen again. In that respect the new forum was kind of like a couple of my new cars: not so much a choice, but essential unless I was willing to ride the bus 2 hours back and forth to work!

Other than that, it's basically the same gripe I have with the new venue for CineSea: the old one the room wasn't heated and you couldn't get to it without going outside. This one is heated, has a nice kitchen, you can access it from the rooms without even climbing stairs, and yet...it's different!
              Last edited by Steve Klare; February 05, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I agree with Terry.... I don’t really like the look of the new forum. I liked the old one and I don’t like change. I don’t look in as often as I used to. But have to say work has been very busy so I don’t have much time to anyway.

Comment

Well I didn't like it at first but now I've got used to it I find it easier to navigate and to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                    It pays to remember what brought us here. Last year a couple of times we had a hard crash, and a lot of us wondered whether everything we've ever written here would ever be seen again. In that respect the new forum was kind of like a couple of my new cars: not so much a choice, but essential unless I was willing to ride the bus 2 hours back and forth to work!
                    Don't do this -- don't minimize people's responses by resorting to the "hey, it's free so you should just be happy to be here and shut up" approach. Now certainly I'm appreciative of anybody who offers ANYTHING to the world, especially free of charge -- but that alone isn't going to keep me interested in hanging out. And frankly as a tech support person I'm tired of the "we had to change things and you'll get to like it and if you don't like it, well too bad but that's life" response to customers' concerns. Think of the people on this forum as customers, or potential customers, and treat them (each other) as such. And of course if you don't want to be here you're free to leave, everyone is free to leave. But leave the "we were lucky to pick ourselves up after that terrible crash" BS to the amateurs.

EDIT: And I know the admins are free to delete any/all posts/accounts at any time. Which is why if there's something I really care about, I have it on my own site.

Comment

I don't think I was either saying that or implying it, let alone telling anybody to shut up. Instead, I'm pointing out we were hanging on a pretty fragile limb a few months ago, maybe implying if we have some growing pains getting fully up to speed it will be worth it.

I agree there are some legitimate concerns here and I'm all in favor of discussing them. I agree for example the legibility could be better.
                      Last edited by Steve Klare; February 05, 2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

And don't forget some forums have had to change because the servers could, or would not support the old forum software due to security or other reasons.

Comment

Onnie...

Does make a point regarding the size of print. Although the poster can enlarge it, I think it would be nice, that's if its possible, to have all the "type size" a bit larger which would make it easier to read. Apart from that the new features are great. There was always complaints in the past forum of the 550 pixel limit, The new forum with better links to you-tube and in particular Facebook does open the forum up a lot more than it used to be. There is always room for improvement in anything we do, in the end its up to Brad, but am sure no one here is saying not to comment on concerns that anyone has. Looking back on the old forum years gone by there were many times it went very quiet. I remember starting a topic "Where is Everyone" or something to that effect

Anyway I am hoping to see.. "more" ....topics from members soon otherwise I might be forced to bore everyone with even more of my stuff

Comment

I have a dandy one...If only I wasn't too lazy to shoot some pictures and finally write the thing!

By the way: This post is in Verdana, which is the classic font of the GOF. It's actually 11 point, just like the Inherit font we have now. The difference is it spreads further horizontally.

Comment

Very interesting comments. Terry, thanks for bringing this up. I've honestly never had a problem with the font size....for some reason my browser displays this site clearly. Brad and I will definitely look into the default settings and see what can be done to make things more legible.

On the bottom left of this page is a theme/style option where you can partially customize the look of the pages (except for the main Forum page). I'm not fond of the contrast of the Black Red theme so I've changed mine to "Default Style" which I find more pleasing. - I'm mistaken...I have this choice as an admin.

Onnie,

I do not agree with the way you interpreted Steve's post, however your point of our members as customers is well taken. There's no point to having a forum if there's no one to exchange ideas and views with.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X