Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most horrible AGFA AG 1S stock I ever had (from Marketing Films)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most horrible AGFA AG 1S stock I ever had (from Marketing Films)

This post was triggered by another posting in Film For Sale category when somebody in Australia selling his nice copy of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" from Marketing Films through Ebay.

The screen shots were available in Ebay and I definitely remember that was similar to my copy when I bought which coincidentally also from Australia. I bought it in 1997 and it became my keeper since this was the only print with true color in my collection. Other prints had faded to red.

In 2008 I found my print has shifted the color and in the old forum I wrote this experience here:

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=003953

When I saw this Ebay sell, I pulled out my copy from the self to check how it is now, and I found that the fade has gone so bad. Below is the comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	marketing films.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	39645

Click image for larger version  Name:	with stoe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	39644
    Click image for larger version  Name:	two gentlemen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	39646
    Every time I screen my print I alwas put a note how was the condition, and here what I wrote

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-08-03 at 17.09.43 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	39647

First it was stated as full color and LC (last checked) on 24 August 2008 it has faded with some colors left. And today, it gone to full purple.

Below is step by step when it became faded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	step by step.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	39648

Very sad indeed......!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Winbert Hutahaean; August 03, 2021, 04:42 AM.

Shame Winbert.

Is it Agfa acetate or polyester out of interest ?

Best wishes Mark.

Comment

That's a terrible sight to see, Winbert, especially on the 40th Anniversary of "Raiders".

Mark, these last prints from Marketing were on very thin Polyester; sure Winbert will confirm this.

I have two copies and fortunately both are holding up well...so far.

It is a shame, although I can't imagine that the manufacturers would ever have thought that people would still be showing these prints 39 years after they were released. In many ways, they haven't done too badly.

Still sad of course.

Comment

Some of them on the earlier prints on poly are often fadey kodak or some later nom fadey nice kodak Rob your right.

But usually the later ones are OK.

There is also a thicker non fadey Agfa polyster.

So I wondered if its Agfa acetate as thats the worst Agfa I`ve ever seen.

Usually a bit orangey washed out look when it goes.

Thats more of your eastman look. But could be the climate Winbert.

Best Mark.

PS I remeber having a 3 x 400 of Prophecy was OK colour but the grain and print were awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Todd View Post
          Shame Winbert.

Is it Agfa acetate or polyester out of interest ?
          It is polyester. As Rob has mentioned, in every Marketing's later box, it is stated that they use Kodak polyester based film resulting 30% thinner than acetate.
          Last edited by Winbert Hutahaean; August 03, 2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I don't doubt Winberts assessment of his own print, as it would obviously state AGFA, but it just looks like faded Fuji stock, as Fuji definitely goes purple.

Comment

I have just checked my Englisch version which is on Agfa polyester stock.
              The colour is still perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                ....but it just looks like faded Fuji stock, as Fuji definitely goes purple.
                Beside Marketing, other companies that used AGFA a lot is UFA (Germany), Film Office (France), Techno (Italy) and Walton (UK). I am now in the middle of re-cataloging my collection and have found out 80% my AGFA print have gone purplish as well as Fuji stock.

The only stocks that still keep good color against my hot and humid place are Kodak LPP, Eastman LPP, Kodachrome and Ektachrome. The two later are those from reversal stocks of my home movies.

Comment

Due to my work I had a good chance to see TONS of 35mm Agfa prints from 90's. Virtually all of them had turned pink/violet, no exception.

Tried scanning it and doing some magic work in editing program. Only about 10% that still have enough remaining color left to re-balance them to make it just barely watchable. The rest would be simply unwatchable, period.😢

Comment

Just checked one of mine.

AG 2 S

Still no fade yet.

Comment

This is why this forum is so much fun! I never knew that there were different "grades" of agfa! Thinner stock looses color, thicker agfa retains color?

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                        This is why this forum is so much fun! I never knew that there were different "grades" of agfa! Thinner stock looses color, thicker agfa retains color?
                        I think and thin is acetate vs polyester. In this regard, thicker (acetate) will get VS in my case, as I live in hot and humid place.

Comment

Mines perfect and well looked after which I think is el key

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                            Mines perfect and well looked after which I think is el key
                            Mine is B/W now.. so it becomes even rarer!

Comment

Purple negs in 35 is I think something to do with developing. Fix and Rinse is sometimes the solution, pardon the pun. Would doing this be of any help or completely different process.

Comment

Working...
                              X