No announcement yet.

Eumig Mark S 710d speed control unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday update. Waiting on my circlip set to arrive to replace one that broke on dissassembly . Getting there though. Main switch should be fun! I've hand wound a test film through the track. You learn a bit when you do things manually. Auto feed needs to be pressed untill the film reaches the last power wheel. Idealy the takeup spool. The audio has no power drive only the fly wheel which gets it's power from the film advancing. The main switch I guess will lift the drive wheel on stop and between forward and reverse to prevent friction burns. That's a guess. Not sure how the flywheel handles direction change. I understand sticking points if not fed correctly. That's it for this evening.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_212632.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	40689
    Attached Files

Comment

I thin it is the rubber wheel that presses the film against the flywheel shaft that moves. Possibly only in the lamp on position (forwards) of the switch.

Comment

On reverse projection the rubber pinch roller nor the pressure pads are engaged. They remain in the retracted position and the flywheel will continue to spin until it runs out of energy eventually.

But if when you have started a film and realize that you forgot to lower the speed from 24 to 18 fps you need to wait a few minutes after lowering the speed. If you don't wait the fast spinning flywheel will cause the film to bunch up just before the rear sprocket for a few seconds unti the speed of the flywheel settles into the slower 18fps speed. This is mentioned in the instruction manual but the potential consequences to the film are not!

Comment

Brian, yes, looks like the audio side has a sliding plate that pivots in a manner to lift head and rubber wheel. That plate is activated mechanically with the rotor switch. The adjustable arm to the switch is seen passing through the case towards the switch.
          Joseph, glad you mention the momentum held after speed change in the flywheel. Should have a "Do not use Willy Nilly" sign or lock.
          I'll print off a sign
          Might get it running tonight!

Comment

I should be asleep now A little bit each day. Switch is done (I think). Lifting the audio mechanisum by default and lowering only in forward projection. So as Brian mentioned. Forward Projection only. Haven't put the audio micro switch back yet or adjusted motor tilt. Wasn't going to touch it till the weekend but it beckoned me over.
            A few more parts to put back and a check over should do the trick.

Name:	20210819_221624.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	40871

Comment

It's all back together and thought I'd watch a bit of Westworld at 18fps! A Red Theater Production ​​​​​​. Speed control isn't correct so I will be getting some belt stuff. I'll keep you updated on proceeding.

Name:	20210821_125240.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	40996
              Attached Files

Comment

Well done, Stuart. Soon be like new.

Comment

Thanks Maurice. To be fair, when I bought this I didn't let it run and "warm up" for hours I just went at it with a screwdriver almost straight out the box. Had I let it run for sometime, from the advice I've now read, there would have been a good chance it would have been OK.
                  24fps is/was quite hard to get going. In test 18fps (50 cycle setting) was easier to get going. 24 not so much. It's closer to the inner part of the disk. This may be a reason. Easier to get a disk moving from the edge than the center.
                  The Youtube video shows quite a low (slow) voice. But this is my second viewing. The first at 18fps as 24 just wouldn't get going. Watching through and it seems as if the speed is gradually improving!
                  All good fun.

Comment

As soon as you get some type of belt dressing on those rubber drive discs the machine will take off like a rocket in both directions at both 18 and 24fps. Assuming of course that the motor is perfectly centered and the motor mounts are not crumbly and with no dodgy repairs to them.

Comment

My Amazon Prime ends today so yesterday ordered some Platernclean which should arrive today. That is used for printer feeds. I saw a video regarding Eumig and rubber disk rejuvenating. Belt dressing was on the cards but chose Platerclean on advice from tech. It also comes in a bottle or pump spray. It may take a day or two but will let you know. The video on YouTube was successful. The motor mounts are sound. I'm now looking into twin track audio projectors. Just so to get a "do all" projector. Not sure what I'm actually after as don't know what the tracks hold. Main and sub track. Anyway, that's for another day and thread. Hopefully Platernclean will solve the drive issue.

Comment

Well Stuart, one nice option for twin track machines, and the one I use most, is adding a foreign language track to the balance stripe. Because I reside in France this gives me the option of instantly changing the language depending on my audience.

Comment

An update on the 710 disk drive. Platenclene has worked for me. 24fps @ 50Hz starts forward and backward without issue. Possibly on the slow side and possibly needing adjustment.
                          Took the Super8 and Regular8 gates apart. I thought the Super8 gate had snapped it's toung. Apparently not. It's the Standard8 vs Super8 audio separation path. Lost one of the spring wires in the process. Know the length and approximate guage. The Super8 gate is back together and tested Jungle Animals and James Stewart The Reluctant Rebel. Must have blinked, as missed the Rebel bit.
                          Pleased with the 710 though. Hasn't chewed a film yet

Comment

Working...
                          X