No announcement yet.

Pro's and con's of HID conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I confirm what has been said above. You need to adapt the way you project by keeping in mind you cannot easily stop the projector during a show as you would do with a convetional lamp in case of problem. You have to make sure (more than with other projectors) that your film is in good condition (I remember, for example, a standard/regular 8 film that had old tape splices, they almost all broke during the first projection-with my Siemens-, so definitely not a good idea to project such a film for the first time with a HID machine). These projectors are ideal for features. I did project several standard/regular 8 films over the last months mounted on large spools and it is fantastic to see those films with the HID lamp. As Lee says, it's not impossible to switch the lamp off in case of need (altough it's not recommended at all, as I understand). I had a problem during one of my projections (with the LPU, not with the projector but the result was the same : I had to stop the projector to fix the trouble). What I did was to switch the lamp first, let a few more meters of film running then stopping the projector and quickly put the shutter on the "masking position" and...no frame burnt. For projecting short films, which I did seldom, with this projector, the best way I found was to have several take up spools ready for each film and rewinding everything after the show. As John, I project mainly standard/regular 8 films with the HID projector (I only tried once super 8 to test the machine) and I'm more than happy with it and it would be nice to have HID projectors for super 8 and 9.5 as well if I can get that one day. To summarize, more work for the projectionnist but the result certainly worths it.

Comment

Sorry folks not convinced

Maurice does mention "that the films are improved as it emits a colour temperature of 6500K which has a good degree of "blue" content"

Now this blue content is where HID falls down in my view, I have as yet to see any visual evidence here or elsewhere to show the HID is a improvement, more the opposite to be honest. Sure you are getting more light, but do you really want a lamp that is biased towards blue? projecting through a "good" color print?.

There was a video of a film convention in England, I can't remember where, but its on the forum somewhere that shows the HID in action with various film clips. Everyone of those clips had that blue look I myself have some of those prints and they don't look that bad.

So once again, sorry folks for being a bit of a party pooper, but until someone can show me some visuals that will convince me otherwise I will stick to my Osram Xenophot lamps for home use.

Comment

It's always better to see it in real but you can get an idea : Elmo GS1200 with 150W HID Xenpow conversion - YouTube

Comment

Some really excellent comments by HID users here, - keep 'em coming!

A couple of things not yet mentioned, which should go in the + column:
          1. The 150 watt HID lamp dissipates far less heat than the equivalent 150w Halogen bulb - or so I am told.
          2. Use of the external HID power supply removes a ton of current load from the GS1200 transformer which will now be coasting along just supplying current to the electronics and solenoids and motors, so it will run a whole lot cooler and will now probably last forever!

The same advantage also of course applies to Graham and Tom's 250W ELC lamp conversion of the GS1200, where they also use an external power supply.

Anybody know if the HID lamp puts out a lot of UV light?

Comment

The Wikipedia entry for HID lamps (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-i...discharge_lamp) states:-

"Most HID lamps produce significant UV radiation and require UV-blocking filters to prevent UV-induced degradation of lamp fixture components and fading of dyed items illuminated by the lamp. Exposure to HID lamps operating with faulty or absent UV-blocking filters causes injury to humans and animals, such as sunburn and arc eye. Many HID lamps are designed to quickly extinguish if their outer UV-shielding glass envelope is broken."

I would think the very short exposure of the dye in films would not lead to extra fading.

Comment

Do the Xenpow 150 watt HID lamps have an integral UV filter?

Comment

Working...
              X