Re-recording sound on features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-recording sound on features

Can someone tell me a good software program, and the basics of doing this. I have many films which could use a new dubbing. I have everything but the software - which I believe replaces the hard to find Pedro Box. Windows 7 and/or Windows 10 pc, and a good GS1200 in my tool collection.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Perhaps someone in the US could help our Chip.
    I'm not much use with the GS as I developed my own system for stereo dubbing a good few years ago.

Comment

This topic was discussed at length in a thread now in the Forum Archive. You may find the answers there. the thread was:
      Re-recordings with a PC
      There is an updated version of the Pedro box designed and offered by Forum Member Renzo Dal Bo which also works perfectly with the GS as a sync device in ESS mode.

Comment

Lee or otherwise, I have a GS1200 myself, but I have never mastered recording, so I will check out that link, and if there is some software for the PC, I would LOVE to get ahold of it!

Comment

I would be interested in hearing about your dubbing process Lee. Alternatives to having to use a GS1200 are always welcome

Comment

A few decades ago when I nearly secured the DCR archive Dave offered me his reel to reel dubbing system to go with it from his legendary garden shed. Prior to this approaching 50 years ago I got into dubbing which was reported in Film Making Magazine. Feeling old now!
            Cresta Electronics supplied systems in the UK from Cassette to reel to reel but I plumped for a Revox 77 which mad Dad was a fan of. Very long long story and up hill..

Dubbing S8 is a wide subject and not just about synchronisation of sound.

My take has always been about a good master and excellent magnetic stripe to record onto. Some are much better than others.

Enjoy mag striping my own films for one off efforts and the quality of Agfa F5 stripe was and is a thing of legend.

Comment

Lee is right, sync isn't the only concern. You must test the quality of both stripes of your print before considering a stereo re-mix. If deemed suitable for re-recording the mixer can help here to add bass or treble and eliminate hum. Audio straight from DVD to GS will work too. learn the spot record feature of this projector. The key to mastering a good re-record without the aid of software...
              Last edited by Burton Sundquist; September 20, 2021, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Yes but you could have the finest stripes with the best response but if the sound's all over the place it's not going to be an enjoyable experience. I was just wondering how Lee keeps decent sync without a GS1200 and it's crystal lock

Comment

Yes, you don't want the sound to be as you hear in Zoom calls! Out of sync intermittently and stretched in places trying to regain sync!!!!

Comment

I am using Pro Tools to re-record my prints. Any software that can support video playback and an audio interface with a minimum of three output channels should work just as well.

My workflow is:
                    1. Video the print whilst projector is locked to 24fps. Ensure that a recognisable “Start Mark”/frame is recorded.
                    2. Record audio from DVD or Bluray….or even YouTube if it’s a particularly obscure trailer!
                    3. Use rough telecine of print to confirm sync of Bluray audio in Pro Tools. Using the guide audio from the video, it’s very straightforward to confirm sync and check for any missing frames. This also allows for 24-25-23.98 fps conversions.
                    4. Add a 24Hz or 25Hz pulse to the session and route out of separate output. This should start two frames before the “Start Mark”.
                    5. Record pink noise from ProTools to GS. I set levels to meter at 0. I then replay this to check stripe response. If it replays lower then increase level by that amount.
                    6. Check that pulse level is sufficient to start GS and maintain constant speed. I have found that this often requires a small mixer to boost levels.
                    7. Position print on start mark. Ensure ProTools session is ready to play with two frame advance on pulse track.
                    8. Put GS into ESS mode. Press record key.
                    9. Press play on Pro Tools. When pulse begins, projector should run and you can monitor rough telecine against film print to ensure perfect sync throughout transfer.

I tend to plug headphones into the GS as the huge level increases that can happen when recording ends can be rather alarming!

The biggest problem I have come across is that once you have watched the print whilst making the rough telecine, then watched it again to confirm sync with high quality audio, once again to record it and finally to check recording, the last thing you want to do is watch the film again!

There really is something quite magical when everything works.

https://we.tl/t-Tk0n30NTV2
                    Last edited by Stuart Hilliker; September 20, 2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Booming sound from the GS once Attempting re-record; Dissconect the speakers by removing rear cover and use the monitor out jacks..

Comment

I would love to learn how to do this properly. Is the GS1200 the only option for a projector? Do you really need an intermediate pedro box to make this work? Seems like I read that it wasn't totally necessary.

I use Sony Vegas as a film editor on my Windows PC. It works great. I can easily create a soundtrack at 24fps or 23.98fps. Not sure it has the proper audio out to send a pulse to the ESS input on the projector though (is that what the Pedro box does). What software to some of you use?

Thanks in advance for you responses I appreciate any information. As an aside is there anyone who would be willing to record a soundtrack onto a film if I supply the film and the new soundtrack? Thanks!!

Comment

This seems too hard for me if there was someone who could make a video showing us the steps rather than just by reading the instructions. I am quite confused.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stuart Hilliker;n42899]I am using Pro Tools to re-record my prints. Any software that can support video playback and an audio interface with a minimum of three output channels should work just as well.

My workflow is:
                            1. Video the print whilst projector is locked to 24fps. Ensure that a recognisable “Start Mark”/frame is recorded.
                            2. Record audio from DVD or Bluray….or even YouTube if it’s a particularly obscure trailer!
                            3. Use rough telecine of print to confirm sync of Bluray audio in Pro Tools. Using the guide audio from the video, it’s very straightforward to confirm sync and check for any missing frames. This also allows for 24-25-23.98 fps conversions.
                            4. Add a 24Hz or 25Hz pulse to the session and route out of separate output. This should start two frames before the “Start Mark”.
                            5. Record pink noise from ProTools to GS. I set levels to meter at 0. I then replay this to check stripe response. If it replays lower then increase level by that amount.
                            6. Check that pulse level is sufficient to start GS and maintain constant speed. I have found that this often requires a small mixer to boost levels.
                            7. Position print on start mark. Ensure ProTools session is ready to play with two frame advance on pulse track.
                            8. Put GS into ESS mode. Press record key.
                            9. Press play on Pro Tools. When pulse begins, projector should run and you can monitor rough telecine against film print to ensure perfect sync throughout transfer.

Stuart - thanks for the step by step - very helpful. I have some questions though please if you could help...

1) ProTools is a Music editing software is it not? does it have the capability to load the rough video of your movie into the timeline so that you can sync it to your audio track? I know how to do this in Vegas but am not familiar with Protools.
                            2)If you had a 24hz pulse (which I think is 24 fps to the season - is this added in a separate track - where do you get this?
                            3) What do you mean by recording Pink noise - is that just a test to see the level is correct?
                            4) I am a little confused about the 'mixer' needed to boost the 'pulse'. Couldn't this be boosted within Protools?

I appreciate any and all clarification on this. I am not familiar with music editing tools so some of the terms are unfamiliar to me. Thanks.

Comment

I re-record my features directly with my BEAULIEU 708 or ELMO GS 800.
                              Thanks to the speed adjustment from 16-25 frames a second You can re-record any film perfectly while it runs and You can balance the little differences between a DVD/BluRay (some frames can be missing at reel changes or the DVD/BluRay misses some seconds here and there) without stopping the projection.
                              The BEAULIEU is much more precisely and the results are breathtaking: the Stereo Sound is clear and booming.

Comment

Working...
                              X