No announcement yet.

GS1200 Xenon Lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go guys some more servicing on my Xenon. This time on the lamp circuit. The next shots are pretty cool and show the difference between the old capacitors and the new. Here is a shot of the bottom PSU capacitor change. Just the big bottle ones here since I'd already done the oscillator circuit.
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting in the previous shot you can see the original capacitors on the left and the new ones on the right. Note the difference in size!! On the left shot you also see the original 2SC2139 transistors that switch the xenon lamp. These can be expensive and hard to source. With the advent of online shopping it is getting easier however. You can also use BUX48 transistors as replacements if need be. In the shots below here I replace the capacitors on the smaller xenon board that sits inside the projector. I've also included a side shot of the original 2SC2650 transistor. These too are hard to come by and even harder to get than the 2SC2139 transistors. Luckily for me however all the transistors in my projector are healthy. By replacing the capacitors I'll reduce the stress on the transistors. I've also used 105 degree high temperature capacitors. Note the test run of Jaws! Last shot is just of the nice white xenon glow!
      Attached Files

Comment

Question regarding replacement xenon lamps. Does anybody have any advice or know a good source. I know there was some chatter a while back. Mine does still strike but is taking a while and I'm not too sure of it's history. I suspect it's coming to the end of it's days. I'm keen to here from some of the more seasoned xenon lamp users.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Bleakley View Post
          Question regarding replacement xenon lamps. Does anybody have any advice or know a good source. I know there was some chatter a while back. Mine does still strike but is taking a while and I'm not too sure of it's history. I suspect it's coming to the end of it's days. I'm keen to here from some of the more seasoned xenon lamp users.
          Please see these posts:

​​​​​​https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...00-xenon-lamps

Comment

Well done Joel - another GS1200 saved! It's really satifying to be able to turn a dead machine into a good running one again. I know you have seen on my thread I am giving my GS1200 Xenon some TLC at the moment to nurse it back to life.

That gear you show a picture of - one of my machines is showing wear on that same gear. I did manage to get a spare set from Wittner a year or so ago - but again they seem out of stock now. Did you manage to find a replacement? These are the gears that have a friction drive onto the spindle so the take up & rewind versions are different. So they grip the spindle in one dircetion but slip freely in the other. Bell & Howell used a simialr arrangement on some of thir 16mm projectors.

Comment

Hello Clive, In answer to your question is yes they are the exact same gear I had to replace. As you mentioned the two are different and not inter-changable so since I was doing both I had to be extra careful when putting them in. As for supply I got mine from Van Eck. He's been a great source for parts for on a few of my machines. I'm eagerly awaiting a schneider 1.1 lens for mine since it came without a lens. I'm currently borrowing the one out of a standard GS1200 for now. Good luck with repairs. I'll watch yours with interest and help with any advice I can.

Comment

Back in el day one of my gs xenon machines got a little tricky to strike up so we telephoned the UK service agent. Ah yes the electrodes of the lamp have become dirty was the engineers advice send it to us for lamp replacement.
                We did just that new Toshiba lamp fitted and back in full vigar.
                That lamp probably had 400 hours on it with 500 being the free fall drop off point so probably pretty good back then. Worth mentioning for anyone having striking issues.

Comment

Working...
                X